Home Made Gun Vise

Does anyone have or know where to find wood-working plans for a home-made gun vise/cleaning stand? The cheapest stand I can find that actually has a stock vise on it is about fifty bucks, and it's all plastic. I can design my own, but since I don't have one to pattern from, I'd like to find plans.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty-Thomas Jefferson

Re: Home Made Gun Vise

I built something very similar to this many years ago. Mine was made from oak. I sanded the edges and put a nude satin finish on it.

A hint: Use felt for the rest contact areas and crease the edges that will be exposed with a clothes iron before you glue them on to prevent nasty edges over time.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Many years ago I made a pair of vices for holding rifles out of 2" x 4"s and padded the jaws with foam covered in leather. The vices are operated by a simple 1/2" threaded rod that you can buy at any hardware store. The beauty of my system is that it holds the rifle rock solidly for all kinds of work. But, you don't need that much strength for things like simple cleanings.

Black Eagle wrote:Many years ago I made a pair of vices for holding rifles out of 2" x 4"s and padded the jaws with foam covered in leather. The vices are operated by a simple 1/2" threaded rod that you can buy at any hardware store. The beauty of my system is that it holds the rifle rock solidly for all kinds of work. But, you don't need that much strength for things like simple cleanings.
Those picture posting skills would come in handy right about now :)
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron