S&W 38 special J-frames

The snub nose. 38 specials with a 2" barrel. A very small package with no frills. Its like the trial size aspirin or the kleenex pocket pack. Just in case.

The 38 snub is the standard plot twister in film noir. Everything coming down to the wire and all but wrapped up then, from the shadows, emerges the snub. All bets are off. Its a whole new ball game. Its not a combat gun. It won't take a mule deer at 100 yards. Its a surprise. Just enough to get through the jam and out of there.

The S&W snubs came out in 1950 and had names, not numbers. The Chiefs Special, Body Guard, Centennial. These are defensive guns. They were intended for back up and plain clothes.

Us regular Joes can drop one in our pocket and go about our business. Mine sees light only in the morning when I gather my things and at the end of the day when I empty my pockets. It won't make you a hero and you can't take on a dozen escaped convicts. You have 5 rounds on tap just in case.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: S&W 38 special J-frames

When I was shopping for my carry gun this is where I decided to go. I have a S&W 442. Comfort and concealability and .38+P in my mind and research seems like just enough to get out of any tight spots should the need arise.
"So this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause."-Padme Amidala

There is a really good link someone posted a while ago that links to a video that discusses nothing but the benefits of snub nose .38's for law enforcement and conceal carry. I believe it was recorded here in Florida in Titusville.

Worth checking out. Definitely presents a good argument.
Eat your peppers.

inmediasres wrote:There is a really good link someone posted a while ago that links to a video that discusses nothing but the benefits of snub nose .38's for law enforcement and conceal carry. I believe it was recorded here in Florida in Titusville.

It's a sticky on the handgun page "The art of the snubbie"
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... =7&t=10089
How to Embed a Youtube Video - click here
If you live a long life, it is a testament to your friends' self control.
Join The LGC

Thread Killer

GuitarsandGuns wrote:
inmediasres wrote:There is a really good link someone posted a while ago that links to a video that discusses nothing but the benefits of snub nose .38's for law enforcement and conceal carry. I believe it was recorded here in Florida in Titusville.

It's a sticky on the handgun page "The art of the snubbie"
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... =7&t=10089
Yes! Thanks. It moves very slow, but it's interesting. Try and watch it early in the morning after coffee.
Eat your peppers.

inmediasres wrote:How much extra should I be willing to spend to get it without the lock? We're talking an extra $30-$40.
For some folks, it's a big deal, and they can't stand the locks. Personally, they've never bothered me in the slightest, and I've run thousands of rounds through guns with them over the years without a problem.

But if you do want to remove the lock, it's very easy to do, about one step up from a detail cleaning in terms of difficulty. Takes just a matter of minutes, and there are very good instructional videos online you can find easily to walk you through the process.

Me, I wouldn't spend extra money one way or the other.

Jim
James Downey

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/ - handgun cartridge research
http://www.stcybiswell.com/ - my latest novel
http://www.legacybookbindery.com/ - my professional site

I used to think the obsession with the lock was the rightie's Government Nanny focus. After my SW M21 starting locking up from the recoil I removed the little tabs that are the locking piece from all my SWs. You can't tell from the outside its disabled. Someone on the SW Forum sells little caps that fill the holes for $30-35, for those who tend to get their panties twisted about this sort of stuff.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Skeptilius wrote:Reading this thread naturally caused me to go to the S&W web site and look at the j-frames. I don't have one so my question might seem naive, but why is the Model 36 priced $300. over the other models like the Model 637? The only obvious difference I can see is the grips. What am I missing?
Now you can own a piece of history in the making with the Smith & Wesson Classic revolver line. The Classics bring coveted models, with their designs harkening back to the most famous collectibles ever constructed, back in production. Each model, known for its legendary performance, has been enhanced with modern advantages. They are the timeless best of both worlds – Smith & Wesson Classics.
That's why.
Eat your peppers.

As a B picture junkie and a collector of movie prop guns, I have to disagree with you about the use of J frame Smiths in Cinema Noir movies. The most commonly seen handguns are Colt Automatics, but compared to J frames, Colt Detective Specials were much more prevalent. The pre-War Smiths were actually I frame models, but even those are rarely seen in old movies.

Now you can own a piece of history in the making with the Smith & Wesson Classic revolver line. The Classics bring coveted models, with their designs harkening back to the most famous collectibles ever constructed, back in production. Each model, known for its legendary performance, has been enhanced with modern advantages. They are the timeless best of both worlds – Smith & Wesson Classics.
The classic line, guns they discontinued and then brought back as classics charging more than ever for. The M15 "Combat masterpiece" is a bitsa, a M19 with a 38 special cylinder fitted to it.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Skeptilius wrote:Reading this thread naturally caused me to go to the S&W web site and look at the j-frames. I don't have one so my question might seem naive, but why is the Model 36 priced $300. over the other models like the Model 637? The only obvious difference I can see is the grips. What am I missing?
In addition to marketing, steel vs. aluminum frames.

We have both the J-frame and the Ruger LCR at the shop. I find the LCR more pleasant to shoot than the J-frame, as do quite a few of of our customers. Others, by contrast, prefer the J-frame. It all depends on how well it fits and shoots in your hands. This is important for those who buy them as carry pieces, as one really should practice regularly with what he/she carries. If it doesn't feel right in your hands, you're less likely to practice with it.

Regardless of which firearm, I've got to hand it to S&W when they designed the .38 Special cartridge. What a wonderful, versatile round!
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/