Cold blueing a Lone Wolf barrel?

I bought a LWD conversion barrel for my Glock 23 (.40sw) allowing it to shoot 9mm. I thought I would be a smart boy and order the regular ss/silver variety at only $109 instead of the black oxide version at $139 and just cold blue the thing. I thought wrong. I tried the Casey Birch cold blueing kit and it did absolutely nothing. :wall: I guess there is some sort of treatment done to the barrel or perhaps the type of metal is not able to be cold blued. Obviously I dont know anything. They dont take returns on barrels and I hate the bright look, I want it to be dark, like the original.
Other than using a black sharpie, how can I get this thing black or at least darker?
The reason you wouldn't want to burn the flag, is because you can.

Re: Cold blueing a Lone Wolf barrel?

DSLAM wrote:I bought a LWD conversion barrel for my Glock 23 (.40sw) allowing it to shoot 9mm. I thought I would be a smart boy and order the regular ss/silver variety at only $109 instead of the black oxide version at $139 and just cold blue the thing. I thought wrong. I tried the Casey Birch cold blueing kit and it did absolutely nothing. :wall: I guess there is some sort of treatment done to the barrel or perhaps the type of metal is not able to be cold blued. Obviously I dont know anything. They dont take returns on barrels and I hate the bright look, I want it to be dark, like the original.
Other than using a black sharpie, how can I get this thing black or at least darker?
I'd try one of the regular bluing kits that you put in the oven- here's a link to one guy's shot at it:
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar48.htm
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: Cold blueing a Lone Wolf barrel?

Yes, that's what I found out. Stainless steel (416) will not blue. Their are some bake-on types that would work as well as home parkerizing or hot blueing, but in the end I decided to just sent it back to LWD for their black oxide process for $25. I figured that it would be easier than trying to invest in all the chemicals and stinking up the house oven for one little barrel.
I did use the cold blueing kit to do my little mosin ammo clips for fun.
The reason you wouldn't want to burn the flag, is because you can.