Re: ...and now for the War on Christmas!!! (sponsored by FOX

It's all about members of the dominant religious group identifying with the early Christians. They want to be martyrs just like them (sans the unpleasant parts like dungeons, crosses, and lions), so they have to cast themselves as victims. They also see being part of a persecuted minority as being a legal trump card.

Disingenuous bastards, they are.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

I lost some good friends in last year's war on Christmas.
Brave men and women who payed the ultimate price.

Never forget those who fight Christmas over there so we don't have to fight it here.

God bless the troops.
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

Very funny is the claims that saying "Happy Holidays" is a new expression meant to avoid mentioning Christmas.

Last year I got a hold of an online database of old newspaper, some from the time of the Old West. "Happy Holidays" was a very frequent occurrence among the commercial ads posted around Christmas time, and was occurring frequently too in communications from private individuals.

But I guess the explanation is that people in the Old West were preoccupied by PCness and not offending non-Christians, right? :crockett:
And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must do it because Conscience tells him it is right. -- MLK

lemur wrote:Very funny is the claims that saying "Happy Holidays" is a new expression meant to avoid mentioning Christmas.

Last year I got a hold of an online database of old newspaper, some from the time of the Old West. "Happy Holidays" was a very frequent occurrence among the commercial ads posted around Christmas time, and was occurring frequently too in communications from private individuals.

But I guess the explanation is that people in the Old West were preoccupied by PCness and not offending non-Christians, right? :crockett:
Yes. There is good evidence that the dominant Christian culture was particularly concerned in the nineteenth century that if they were to offend Chinese immigrants it might be seen as an un-neighborly act which is frowned upon by Christianity. That's why they were so careful to use inclusive language wherever possible.

Fukshot wrote:Already? I'm completely unprepared for this early start. Does anyone know where I can get a few lions on short notice?
PETA would object . The irrational blather that would assail their ears before they ate could give them indigetion.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin
Beto in wisconsin