Third Way report faults Armslist.com

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html
The marketplace for firearms on the Internet, where buyers are not required to undergo background checks, is so vast that advocates for stricter regulations now consider online sales a greater threat than the gun-show loophole.
TL;DR: Anti-gun group discovers Armslist; stokes flames of fear.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Re: Third Way report faults Armslist.com

This is part of an e-mail they sent me:

The Brady Campaign has attacked Armslist and dragged us into court. Help us defeat them by donating to this fund that some friends have set up on our behalf. Armslist Legal Defense Fund

Thank you for your continuing support and dedication to the Second Amendment.
In the words of King Leonidas, "Molon Labe."

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Simmer down wrote:This is part of an e-mail they sent me:

The Brady Campaign has attacked Armslist and dragged us into court. Help us defeat them by donating to this fund that some friends have set up on our behalf. Armslist Legal Defense Fund

Thank you for your continuing support and dedication to the Second Amendment.
In the words of King Leonidas, "Molon Labe."
:laugh: I have seen far worse emails from pro-2A groups whose management I find unappealing, but it is obvious to me that Armslist is just an easy target for anti groups who want to make headlines. I am on Armslist all the time and am not a criminal because of it. :sneaky:

gunskill wrote: :laugh: I have seen far worse emails from pro-2A groups whose management I find unappealing, but it is obvious to me that Armslist is just an easy target for anti groups who want to make headlines. I am on Armslist all the time and am not a criminal because of it. :sneaky:
What? I thought every time I visited Armslist I was automatically a criminal. Let me go there again now on general principle.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Wuh?

Now auction sites are next?

I've done many transactions on Gunbroker. Every sold item save one went to an FFL holder. We know how those folks circumvent laws. :? The one that did not was an antique as defined by federal law. All of my purchases were possible because as a class 03 holder I can purchase curio and relics in interstate transactions, or have gone though the required 01 FFL holder.

DAMN! I have been missing out on this LOOPHOLE for too many years now! :w00t:
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome

So....gun laws vary by state, but most allow face-to-face transactions of some form. This is protected by the second amnd.

Armslist allows gun buyers and sellers to communicate with each other in a public forum. This is protected by the first amnd.

So what these folks are saying is that they really oppose gun owners excercising their FIRST amnd rights, NOT restricting face-to-face sales.

:blink:

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Right on cue.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-1 ... ernet.html
The online postings this month on Armslist.com, one of the busiest gun-swap websites, are part of an underworld of firearms sales thriving in the U.S. after senators in April failed to advance a measure requiring background checks for private gun purchases.

“It’s a loophole so large you could drive a Mack truck through it,” Representative Jackie Speier, a California Democrat who served on a House panel on gun violence, said in a telephone interview yesterday. “There’s a way to get around” the existing state and federal firearms laws, she said.
"Underworld." Fear and demonize what you don't control.
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Again, I'm unsure if the good senator is attacking second amendment or first amendment rights.

Attacking armslist for making it easier for citizens to perform legal face-to-face transactions is bullshit.

Besides, except for C&R qualified long guns, every firearms transaction has to go through an FFL...even many interfamily transfers. And the C&R exemption goes away next year.

Not sure what underground gun economy Jackie is talking about....maybe if she could point to it? :roll:

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

kilgoretrout wrote:I have some strange/funny Armslist stories though.
So far I've gotten the ever present, I'll send you a certified check scam attempt
Trade for rubies, they're worth way more than the gun. (After being willing to upon certification of value by a jeweler of my choice, they never called again)
Trade for silver, same deal as the rubies
Random junk offers

I'm sure theres a few I haven't gotten yet!
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

kilgoretrout wrote:
senorgrand wrote: Besides, except for C&R qualified long guns, every firearms transaction has to go through an FFL...even many interfamily transfers. And the C&R exemption goes away next year.
Wait what?
California.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

shinzen wrote:
kilgoretrout wrote:I have some strange/funny Armslist stories though.
So far I've gotten the ever present, I'll send you a certified check scam attempt
Trade for rubies, they're worth way more than the gun. (After being willing to upon certification of value by a jeweler of my choice, they never called again)
Trade for silver, same deal as the rubies
Random junk offers

I'm sure theres a few I haven't gotten yet!
Maaaan... I had this crazy situation where somebody was trying to buy my Mak-90 with an out-of-state ID who refused to go through an FFL (which was the only legal way to handle that kind of scenario) but sent me multi-paragraph long run-on sentences about his 2nd amendment rights and freedoms that somehow trump interstate transfer laws.

Another time I purchased revolver from a retired cop. He took a look at me and said, "So you're definitely gonna be using this for legal purposes, right?" I guess I have a look.

Still frequent the site though.
Magnited we stand.

AMD-65
Service Six
10/22
Bersa Thunder UCP 9
Mak-90 (RIP)

Yeah, it's a handy resource. I've lucked out on some reloading component trades, along with finding a couple of nice shiny toys that I definitely needed. Also helped me to get rid of some shiny toys that I no longer needed to pay for the new ones I needed!
- Maya Angelou

Here is another article mentioning Armslist by an author who neither seems to understand what Armslist is nor what "Internet sales" of guns entail.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/t ... html?hp=r7
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

More whining about Armslist.
http://www.salon.com/2013/10/07/online_ ... nd_checks/
Online ads are the latest way gun buyers can avoid background checks
Yeah. It's a new idea.