Gobble Gobble New Postal Match!

Turkey Shoot. This is for you smooth bore guys.

http://www.turkeyshoot.net/images/targets/1TARGET4.jpg

The goal in a typical turkey shoot is to get a pellet closer to the center than anyone else. Its almost entirely a game of luck. This modifies that slightly so it doesn't rely on the luck of one pellet.

Hardware: 12 GA. Stock Shotguns: 34" barrel length limit.
Chokes: open cylinder to modified
Shells: non-magnum 2.5" #7 or #8
Scopes are not allowed.
Targets are set up at a distance of 25 yards.

Take one shot at each target. Write "1", "2" or "3" on each to signify which order you shot them in.

Targets will be scored as follows:

1. All pellets landing on or within the large outer ring will be given 1 point.
2. All pellets landing on or withing the small inner ring will be given 2 points.
3. The person with the pellet closest to the center X in each round will be given an additional 10 points.
4. The score from all targets will be added together and the shooter with the highest total score will be declared the winner.
5. In the event of a tie, the shooter with the highest total number of pellets within the inner circles on all three targets will be declared the winner.
6. In no cases will any rips or tears from anything other than pellets be counted - including the wad.

Submit all Targets to me by December 20, 2010

lgcpostalmatch@sbcglobal.net
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Re: Gobble Gobble New Postal Match!

This would be a good outing for the Dallas folks. Maybe we can meet at a range for this match and off to the Circle Grill.

OR I'll call ahead and see of we can shoot this near the dumpsters at the grill and knock it out all at once.
Last edited by Simmer down on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

masonalannz wrote:For five hours on Friday Bass Pro has 20ga New England Pumps for $150.

Of course that would mean going shopping on Black Friday :sick:
I'm buying my wife a 3G Kindle, some jewelry, and having the bathrooms remodelled for Christmas (the bathroom are going to be done in January though).

It could cost $50 at this point for all I care and that'd be too much.

Besides, I don't want a 20 gauge. It's 12 or nuthin AFAIK.

Porkroast wrote:Nice :)

So where to do this locally if buffalo is closed down for the season?
Gunworks lets you shoot shotgun there but I think the guys that do it are chodes. Drive out to goose's farm while they are hunting and take three quick shots and leave. This one is not urbanite friendly.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

What would be a fair and equal distance for a 10? 35 or 40 yards? Give a distance that makes others happy and I will adjust the rules.

—Joe Strummer

Paladin wrote:What would be a fair and equal distance for a 10? 35 or 40 yards? Give a distance that makes others happy and I will adjust the rules.
I do indeed laugh aloud.

My wife's 10ga is a steampunked out hack job that I found at a pawnshop and fancied up myself. It has a 20 inch chopped barrel with no choke.

So... 15 feet? :lol:
I know that at about 15 yards, the spread is a little under 3' diameter.
Two Lumps!

Grove wrote:C'mon!... Not everyone gets all gooey over 12 ga.! I have a 16 and two 20's. Can I shoot w/ them following all the same rules???

Sure we are all inclusive.

—Joe Strummer

Grove wrote:C'mon!... Not everyone gets all gooey over 12 ga.! I have a 16 and two 20's. Can I shoot w/ them following all the same rules???

Whatever, whiner :p

Around here, the standard rules for turkey shoots call for 12 gauges, but I guess since Paladin is feeling all loving he is going to let you. Maybe we can all get together, hold hands and sing kumbaya afterwards too.

I keed I keed.....

Good luck to all. Even if you do cheat by using some commie gauge shotgun.
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

mark wrote:

Around here, the standard rules for turkey shoots call for 12 gauges, but I guess since Paladin is feeling all loving he is going to let you. Maybe we can all get together, hold hands and sing kumbaya afterwards too.

I keed I keed.....

And here I was figuring I'd have to look around to find 2 1/2 inch shotshells rather than use the 2 3/4 I already have.

JayFromPA wrote:
mark wrote:

I keed I keed.....

And here I was figuring I'd have to look around to find 2 1/2 inch shotshells rather than use the 2 3/4 I already have.
I'm pretty sure Paladin meant to spec 2 3/4. 2 1/2 are hard to find since about 1950. He drinks sometimes... ;)
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

In all honesty mark wrote the match. I still don't understand shotguns.

—Joe Strummer

mark wrote:Ooops... yup, 2 3/4. sorry about that.

I stole some ideas from here: http://www.turkeyshoot.net/rules.htm

Turkey shoots are serious business. :)

I have watched a couple around here but I have not entered one. They frighten me.

Quite complaining and go shoot some paper.... sheesh.

More people post and ask questions then actually shoot the matches.

—Joe Strummer

masonalannz wrote:Bumping this thread up. :wave:

I didn't get a deer this morning but I did shoot my postal match entry.

Have you done your part to make sure Paladin keeps coming up with matches for us?

Only 10 days left to enter! :clap:

Thanks for the reminder, I have to go do this soon. I figure this might be my best chance at winning one since its about 50% luck. How did you do?
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

Somewhere in the 90's. I didn't count the double holes where it looks to me like two went through so close that it tore into one hole. I also didn't count the hole in the torn area where the wad went through one of the targets. I'll leave those calls for the "Expert". :lol:

I didn't get a single pellet in the inner circle on any target, all around it but none in. :cry:

The Super Mag functioned flawlessly. I love that thing, I should have bought one a LONG time ago.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

masonalannz wrote:Somewhere in the 90's. I didn't count the double holes where it looks to me like two went through so close that it tore into one hole. I also didn't count the hole in the torn area where the wad went through one of the targets. I'll leave those calls for the "Expert". :lol:

I didn't get a single pellet in the inner circle on any target, all around it but none in. :cry:

The Super Mag functioned flawlessly. I love that thing, I should have bought one a LONG time ago.

Cool.... glad you liked the Remington. Its a cheap, reliable, workhorse.
- Lord Byron