1919 Colt 45 Auto

Dancing Colt.jpg
Colt frame.jpg
Commercial model.
Left side.jpg
TJ Bass.jpg
Bite me.jpg
Micro sight.jpg
Smells like it has been in a tackle box since way back. No rust but the finish is blotchy.

Some differences from current models. No finger cut-outs behind the trigger. The Colt is stamped in the middle of the slide, not at the hammer end. GI sights too small? Try to use these itty-bitties. What happens when we put the web of our thumb too close to the hammer?

I won't get to the range until the Texas meeting this Sunday to see how it does. I wonder about the rifling. I ran some chore Boy through it and cleaned the grooves as good as they can get. The rifling seems faint at the throat end and becomes more pronounced the length of the barrel. Grooves are crisp and deep by the muzzle end. Is that wear or some design?

I hope that smell fades fast.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy
Attachments
2-tone mag.jpg

Re: 1919 Colt 45 Auto

Simmer down wrote: Grooves are crisp and deep by the muzzle end. Is that wear or some design?

I hope that smell fades fast.
Ye olde gun collection is still growing, I see...
I suppose it's better that the rifling situation isn't the other way around, like my Mosin.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Thats a beauty.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Btw, any hallmarks on the slide?

- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Hey, i got one of those.

Its the slide my dad cut down to make the compact 45 out of.

Which by the way, has a 3 inch barrel and no recoil spring problems since he built it back in the 80s. And its been shot A Lot. [img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201704 ... bf8f8d.jpg[/img]

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

TinkerPearce wrote:Sweet gun. Sorry about the smell.
A break down and good douche with Brake cleaner, then a wipe with your favorite oil will put an end to that.

I personally like to apply ACF50 every couple years to a brake cleaner cleanes gun. It not only stops rust, it prevents it, and provides lubrication for a while. But once dried, usually a couple days, you dont know its there. Airforce and navy use it , and a friend was in pentagon overseeing testing of it on helicopters back in the 90s. He gave me some of the reports, and said it prevented any corrosion and rust on equipment they sprayed and set in the gulf of Mexico for 6 months, washed with freshwater and then followed by 6 more months sitting in Louisiana's humidity on land for another 6 months. I use to use it on every thing back before my friend retired out of the Pentagon and didnt have a free supply anymore. I did cars, motocycles, bikes, fishing firearm equip and even guitar strings and hardware. My sweat is acid and fucks up plated guitar bridges big time. But not with this shit.

The 45 slide and my eaa witness slides are bare steel. I use it on them.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

RIA-Colt.jpg
That barrel is worn out. I thought I must have been using a 38 bore snake on it but it was the 45 rattling around in the bore.

I pulled the barrel and bushing out of an RIA and Bingo! I kept the same guide rod and spring in it. The recoil spring was about a half inch longer than the one in the RIA.

The Wolff mag won't go in the Colt frame. Comparing the Wolff and Colt I see the Wolff has some sort of flare out at the lips. The Colt is just a box.

If I didn't have Adult Responsibilities I'd be at the range this morning when they open.

I may have a good barrel, and even a mag or two for that. Let me check.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

I started shaping an over-sized barrel and reading about fitting in the Kuhnhausen manual. I picked up enough info to recognize I could really mess something up so I took the whole bag o parts to the gunsmith.

They will scrub, spring, and fit then charge me an amount that I assume will be worth the insurance that I didn't deface this relic.

I might get spoiled with this send it out for repair thing. :hmmm:

The gunsmiths noticed the smell while they were assessing things. I've bathed every inch of the gun with all sorts of C, L, & P and cleaned the grips with lemon oil. I can't tell if the stench is fading or I've fried that frequency in my nose.

Simmer down wrote:The gunsmiths noticed the smell while they were assessing things. I've bathed every inch of the gun with all sorts of C, L, & P and cleaned the grips with lemon oil. I can't tell if the stench is fading or I've fried that frequency in my nose.
Wonder what would happen if you smoked them like you smoke meats? Or a cold smoker set up? Maybe in a cardboard box with burning incense?

Just a brain fart..

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

I've been hesitant to get creative in cleaning. I wondered about covering them in baking soda to absorb the smell rather than cover it up with another smell.

They don't smell like death, just the complex layered scents of degrading rubber worms, aged Zebco grease, and hints of dried pond scum. :hmmm:

Having first hand experience with that Colt and it's "fishing tackle box" smell, I'd say get some dark roast coffee grounds in a brown paper bag and steep the Colt inside a larger bag with it overnight.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
LGC Texas - Vice President

It is the smell of age. just like when you go into a real antique junk store or a house that is old and the occupants haven't moved anything in all that time.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

atxgunguy wrote:Having first hand experience with that Colt and it's "fishing tackle box" smell, I'd say get some dark roast coffee grounds in a brown paper bag and steep the Colt inside a larger bag with it overnight.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
Oh yeah. Forgot about coffee. Back in the late 80s when I drove truck cross country for a while, i ran chicken parts to a dogfood manufacture in Atlanta. Even with a reefer truck at 20 degrees it stand. 1 , 4 pound can of coffee in the a 53 foot trailer for a day or 2 and the smell was almost undetectable.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

In 1919, no guns were released that were not precisely to spec. Any ordnance spec barrel will drop in. A Group-Gripper will tighten everything up, and the gun will shoot lights out. Unfortunately, the sights will keep you from shooting it a lot, since it takes about 4 times as long to get a sight picture. On the other hand, once you DO get a sight picture, the wee tiny blade gets you a very precise aim. Best not to let a gunsmith near it who has never worked on a between-the-wars gun or you are going to get it back with the slide modified because he's never seen the old-style disco dimple.

I found a tiny gun shop east of Dallas where they know what's what. I doubt any of them are over 30 but they've repaired my fixes on things from 1905 and up. Most of the used guns in the place are from the way back. They have a hyper-engraved Luger that whispers my name when I go in.

Simmer down wrote:I found a tiny gun shop east of Dallas where they know what's what. I doubt any of them are over 30 but they've repaired my fixes on things from 1905 and up. Most of the used guns in the place are from the way back. They have a hyper-engraved Luger that whispers my name when I go in.
Sounds good. Glad to hear there are some younger guys with their poop cohesive. Care to share the name of the shop?