Re: 1919 Colt 45 Auto

Since it sounds like your gun is mostly or all original, I'd like to know if the full cock notch in the hammer has a groove filed in it that the sear sits in. This seems to have been common, and I'm interested in trying to bracket the years that this was done. I *think* it was done to deal with very soft sears. It raises the pull to about 11 pounds.

pokute wrote:Since it sounds like your gun is mostly or all original, I'd like to know if the full cock notch in the hammer has a groove filed in it that the sear sits in. This seems to have been common, and I'm interested in trying to bracket the years that this was done. I *think* it was done to deal with very soft sears. It raises the pull to about 11 pounds.
I'll let you know when I get it back.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Call from the gunsmith. The barrel I dropped off to have fitted won't work due to headspace issues. I chose a drop-in Kart barrel ($250 OMG) versus a $450 massaged to fit barrel Yeow!

I bet the gun didn't cost $25 new.

Bang wrote:Did you leave the mag with the gunsmith? I'd like to see more pictures of the magazine. Top view, footplate view, exploded and such.

Jeeze at those repairs. Good luck deciding.
The mags are with the gun at the shop.

Simmer down wrote:Call from the gunsmith. The barrel I dropped off to have fitted won't work due to headspace issues. I chose a drop-in Kart barrel ($250 OMG) versus a $450 massaged to fit barrel Yeow!

I bet the gun didn't cost $25 new.
There is no such thing as a "drop-in" Kart barrel. The Kart "EASY-FIT", or "XACT-FIT" (new name, same game) is a barrel that is made with the "three point fit" pads in place "as manufactured". The absolute best possible fit of a 1911 barrel is achieved by a laborious process that involves indexing the barrel and machining two "pads" at 120 degrees from each side of bottom dead center. These pads are finessed to create positive repeatable lockup and smooth link-down. In addition to modifying the pads, the Kart barrel has to be adjusted for head space and hood width, ramp clearance, and sometimes for bottom lug fit (and the bushing needs to be fit to the slide). I had to stare at the barrel, the instructions, and the ordnance drawings of the 1911 for a month before I understood what I was supposed to do. Then I slipped with the file and had to have a wee blob of weld metal put back on the hood ;^)

After much wiggling and filing I wound up with a truly awesome fit. But it's nearly as far from drop-in as a "hard-fit" barrel is! The Kart barrel is top-of-the-line, bar none. I do wish they left the chamber just short of being finished, so that making headspace perfect was possible. There is a reason they don't - Because the 45acp cartridge does not really headspace on the rim. However, it is also easy to argue (though I'm not sure it's true) that cutting the chamber for "proper" headspace creates a more reliable gun (think firing pin).
Attachments
Kart-XACT-FIT.jpg
Kart-XACT-FIT.jpg (12.51 KiB) Viewed 2265 times