M&P 380 Shield EZ

Picked one up this weekend. I had been looking for something as the "next step" up from .22 for new shooters. While the recoil is slightly more than .22, it's a lot less than any of the other choices I had.

I got the no external safety model as I prefer those. The trigger pull is relatively short and light to me, but I am use to heavy triggers. This is a hammer fired gun, which I prefer as then I can put my thumb on the hammer when holstering and be assured the gun can't fire. The EZ hammer is internal but a backstrap safety provides the same function on the EZ.

One thing I hadn't considered was that when you grip the backstrap coming out of the holster you have a light trigger and no safety. I could see this as an issue if a careless person put it in a purse where keys and other things could get in the trigger. But they shouldn't be doing that anyway. It also comes in an ambi external safety model if wanted.

I had a few odd quirks about midway throught 100 rounds, such as stovepipes (fail to feed) and completly new to me, ejecting the spent round and the next one from the magazine at the same time. It seemed to be only an issue with one magazine, but by the time I was narrowing it down it went away.

I asked the LGS if they were popular. He had gotten 18 in on Monday and was down to 2 by Saturday morning. It may have just been people wanting an easy to rack and easy to load pistol in a low recoil center fire caliber, which this is as easy as an M&P .22 to manipulate. I have the full size in 22, but the M&P compact 22 would be a good companion if you shot a lot.

380 gets expensive. Everyone else seemed to be buying AR mags.

Re: M&P 380 Shield EZ

Try cleaning out the mags see if one mag is harder to load and mark it.
I had a aftermarket 10rd mag for my 1911 and it gave me simular issue's. The cause we a heavy spring causing the next round to drag on the slide I had FTF FTE and it would spit out two round usually when fully loaded.
It's time to elect leadership not re elect it.
Drain the swamp!

Re: M&P 380 Shield EZ

Shoot it some more, and with another a friend. Try a few different kinds of ammo. If you experience the same issue between ammo brands, pay attention to how you are holding the gun upon recoil. Limp-wristing may negatively affect cycling ability of small auto-loaders with smaller energy cartridges.

If the same jam happens with both of you, then consider there may be an issue with the gun which needs addressing.

For the longest time, I relied only on snubbie-revolvers for carry eschewing the complexities and size of auto-loaders. The last thing anyone can deal with in a deadly situation is a malfunction (unless you consistently train for it and even then...). The gun which changed my mind is the 9mm Shield. Mine has run flawlessly and I've taken to carrying it on occasions. But if it ever jammed at the range and I felt the issue could not be traced to me or a particular brand of ammo, I'd probably return to revolvers tout suite.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi