Greetings from Michigan

Hello everyone:

Outstanding group. I've been lurking since I joined the LGC, but finally decided to join the forum after deleting my Facebook account and losing my interest groups.

Like a lot of you I am a passionate hunter, shooter, outdoorsperson, and full blown snowflake.

Growing up I knew my interest in guns went beyond hunting with them as my family did, which led me to competitive pistol shooting after college. A heavy schedule of IPSC, IDPA, and ICORE (my favorite, I love revolvers) burned me out after several years, but that interest moved into taking a bunch of excellent defensive shooting courses to coincide with Michigan's then new CCW law.

My shooting is now recreational, and ranges from sporting clays to bolt rifles to handguns. I have been a 10mm nerd since the first Delta Elite hit the market, but like other calibers too of course.

We have a vizsla that is a constant center of attention in our home, but when fall comes she's all business chasing grouse all over Michigan- until she's back on the couch.

Long intro- sorry! Eager to get to know you all, learn, and share what I can.

BC
And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be- Roger Waters

Re: Greetings from Michigan

upload them here. at the bottom of the screen , notice "quick reply". at the bottom of that panel is "full editor & preview". click full editor. now, below the full editor panel is a section with a tab, "attachments". click that. click "add files". you'll get a screen showing a folder on your computer. navigate to your pics, click the one you want. open it. the filename will appear in the box. position the cursor where you want the pic to be in your post, then click "place inline". done. you can have up to 3 pics per post. i usually resize pics to about 200k so as to be less of a hog. you can come back to a post and add pics in edit, too. it's not as complicated as it sounds, try it.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?
Attachments
LUGO0781.jpg

rod and gun. nice.
those tiny little things are bauer and frasier (made in frasier, michigan!) .25s, baby browning clones in stainless steel. i survived a .25acp pocket pistol phase. i have a couple of others. there's a thread somewhere...
i'm going to go out for the day, so maybe you can say hello to the other, good folks here.
enjoy!
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Uplander wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:33 pm Hello sikacz!

No, but it's one of my favorite parts of the state. Great mountain biking. To make that reference you must know Michigan well. Visit often?
Actually no. Only once in the 1960's and not upper Michigan. I'm a Finnish immigrant and have a fair idea of where Finns migrated. It is a place I've wanted to visit just never had another opportunity. If I had, I might have been inclined to stay. From what I've seen it's beautiful.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Sikacz is right about the influence being present in all of upper Michigan. The area around the Keweenaw Peninsula is particularly heavily influenced by Finnish immigrants, as the copper mining industry and Finland-like farming conditions attracted people. If I remember right the Finns were trying to get the hell away from Russians at that time as well. Some things never change.

That area even offers a tiny private college named Finlandia University in addition to the better known Michigan Tech.

http://www.finlandia.edu/

The vibe in the Keweenaw area is addicting. I think it's the Lake Superior air and endless outdoor recreation opportunities. It isn't Michigan's best hunting by any means, but there is good fishing in the area. For things like mountain biking and big water kayaking it's impressive.
And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be- Roger Waters

Uplander wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:47 pm That area even offers a tiny private college named Finlandia University in addition to the better known Michigan Tech.

http://www.finlandia.edu/
Holy cow - they renamed Suomi College!
Bucolic wrote:Any of you read any of Robert Heywood’s “Woods Cop”mysteries? Good stuff! Set in the UP. The legacy of the Finn settlers often figures into the plot lines.
Buckular Dystrophy: A Woods Cop Mystery (Woods Cop Mysteries)
Death Roe: A Woods Cop Mystery (Woods Cop Mysteries Book 6)
Some of these titles sound like they were coined by Piers Anthony - too fun! Thanks!