Greetings from the Smoky Mountains of WNC

Greetings all.

Just joined the club after reading through the forums a little. It's refreshing to find like minded, left-leaning folks who want to discuss our hobby and not politicize it... I like guns because guns are fun.

A little about myself: I'm 36 years old, born in the foothills of North Carolina, but I've called the mountains home since coming to college in 1999. I'm not a hunter (I've never hunted in fact), but I'm a hobby shooter, avid camper and hiker. I'm a long hair, Subaru driving hippie.

I've always had an interest in firearms and shooting but until the last ten years or so I was a hardcore pocket knife guy, but I settled on a first generation Spyderco Paramilitary and haven't bought more than a few knives since... so I stated spending my money on guns. I'm mostly a long gun shooter, and only own one handgun, but I'm planning to change that pretty soon.

In fact, this afternoon, I just finished the 10/22 build I started last fall... I'm like a little kid that can't wait to play with his new toy, but I gotta wait until range day on Thursday. It's a thing of beauty... Magpul stock, stainless Green Mountain barrel... I haven't been able to stop smiling since I tightened that action screw.

Aside from the outdoors, my other hobbies are video games, guitars and, living in WNC you can't escape it, craft beer... I'm a beer snob and proud of it.

I'm looking forward to hanging around here, reading, learning and discussing what makes our hobby great and how we can expand interest and maybe break the political divide.

Re: Greetings from the Smoky Mountains of WNC

Welcome from NJ!
I moved to NC in 1978, 40 years ago, in May. I left in Oct 1983 5 1/2 years later. My brother still lives there and, despite everything, I'm still a hard-core Tar Heel fan.

North Carolina was the FIRST place I ever move SOLELY because I wanted to live there. Despite Art Pope and the rest of the shit, I STILL love North Carolina!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Howdy From Houston! :welcome:

Nice intro, you must have read the hand book.

I took the opposite path from you, I have bought all the guns a guy could want, now I am moving on the other types of weapons. I think I own stock in Cold Steel by now. Anyone else own a shillelagh, a Boomerang, Halberd, and Samburu Spear?

I almost sent this, but I had to laugh. "All the guns a guy could want", Who am I kidding? 8-)
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

lurker wrote:
highdesert wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:57 pm :welcome:
I'm a long hair, Subaru driving hippie.
Sounds very Californian.
asheville nc is just a little hotbed of pot-smokin', craft-beerin', coexist-stickerin', subaru-drivin', trump-bashin'.... you get the idea. drive thru on i-40 and the air just changes.
I live about 45 minutes west of Asheville and I spend a lot of time there. Headed to Asheville Wednesday in fact to pick up new glasses and I'll probably hang out downtown a while.

As for pictures of my 10/22 build, I'll definitely get some at the range on Thursday. Can't wait to get a few rounds through it, and I just put new Magpul furniture on my Mossberg 590 this afternoon so I'm looking forward to trying it out too.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

My nephew in NC has LONG blond hair, a beard, stands 6'1"/6'2" and has to weigh between 230 and 250--works as a landscaper and landscape designer and drives a full size pickup
Pretty sure he like guns, is Liberal, but is still a good old boy.

BTW, ever ride The Tail of The Dragon?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."