Colt Official Police acquisition

Couple days ago I picked up a post - war (WW 2) Colt Official Police. This one has a six inch barrel. Serial number gives it a DOB in 1947. It was priced at $500.00 (before taxes) and I did not hesitate.

For a few years after the war (actually it started during the war when Colt was making the Commando revolver) Colt put plastic grips on their handguns which they euphemistically called "Colt Wood". It appears that the one on mine are actually wartime plastic grips. People hated the grips and threw them away by the ton. As a result they aren't very easy to find anymore. I've taken them off because plastic gets brittle, but I am keeping them. So I now have three Official Police models (the 5" model is actually chambered for 38-200) and a pre-war Officer Model with 6" heavy barrel. I feel like I should be in a Bogart movie.

For those who are wondering yes I do take them to the range and shoot them occasionally, but not all the time. I actually like to collect older handguns, but I don't see the need to run 15,000 rounds a year through them. I have a couple newer GP-100 revolvers and a Glock 19 for that type of shooting. Well anyway here is my newest addition and a look at my modest OP and OM collection.

I type therefore I am

Re: Colt Official Police acquisition

Very nice collection!!!

I found an Official Police 4 inch 38 special, in a pawn shop a few months ago. DOB 1933. I absolutely love it. Apparently it was sent to King Gun Smithing in California and was heavily upgraded. I didn't know any of that when I bought it. I just wanted an old Colt revolver to make up for my Grandfather's Police Positive I was supposed to inherit, but somehow didn't.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Re: Colt Official Police acquisition

Thanks. I like the Official Police and it is probably one of the best Colt models to collect if finances are an issue. They usually tend to be in pretty good condition as well since most folks just fired standard 38 Special through them. Older 357 magnums can be pretty loose because people feel the need to fire full power loads through them all the time.
I type therefore I am