Re: Initiative to breakup CA will likely be on the ballot

An effort to break up California spearheaded by a billionaire venture capitalist? Just what does HE think he has to gain by it? Previous attempts to break up California and Colorado were ALL driven by right-wing reactionaries to add Republican votes to the Senate. Just like others seek repeal of the 17th Amendment because there are more GOP controlled state legislatures than there are GOP senators percentage-wise.

If something sounds to good to be true......
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Im kinda torn on things like this.

If that's how people wanna live, then I don't really have a genuine issue with it. And since I don't live in CA its hard for me to have a true opinion on they what's and why's.

I do know that there has to be some bigbpicture hemming and hawing over the practicalities, and ultimately uncle sam has to say yes. So I suppose as long as it doesn't hurt the USA as a whole, I kinda don't care.

:: edit ::

I shouldn't say I don't care. I more mean I wouldn't care to the point of standing against the will of those people to love that way so long as it doesn't hurt the nation as a whole.

My prediction is that there will be something in this initiative for every division to dislike and that it will go down to defeat easily.

If turnout runs high, SoCal voters will have a big say in how this succeeds or fails. Can't see them voting for it.

I've been a part of a handful of ballot measures brought by billionaires who thought they were smarter than California voters. Each one ended in failure.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I'm telling you, it's nothing but an attempt to add 2-4 Republican Senators to the Senate as a fire wall. Plus, it adds to Republican states to the mix to amend the Constitution. Amendments will take 39 states, where now they take 38...2 more GOP states makes it easier.

Now match that up with the thread on the Oligarchs using late economist James Buchanan's plan to CHANGE THE CONSTITUTION to benefit and empower billionaires at the expense of the people and it seems OBVIOUS what this is all about, chipping away at the wall against oligarchy and tyranny.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

CDFingers wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:03 pm Truth be told, the interests of citizens in the proposed northern section are not currently represented very well by numbers, in Sacramento. That's an argument in favor of some kind of segmentation into two or three states.

CDFingers
Agreed. However, NorCal won't be served by this, either, since it would include SF and Sacramento. While I'm very much on the liberal side of the spectrum, there is a large portion of the state (probably most of it, by area) that is simply out voted by the Bay Area and the LA/San Diego area. It's kind of a rough sale when the urbanites are constantly pushing their goals and objectives onto the rural residents. There are very real differences in lifestyles and beliefs (infrastructure, cultural exposure, guns, religion, etc.). I am sympathetic to our rural residents in that respect but this isn't the solution they are looking for.

featureless wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:25 pm
CDFingers wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:03 pm Truth be told, the interests of citizens in the proposed northern section are not currently represented very well by numbers, in Sacramento. That's an argument in favor of some kind of segmentation into two or three states.

CDFingers
Agreed. However, NorCal won't be served by this, either, since it would include SF and Sacramento. While I'm very much on the liberal side of the spectrum, there is a large portion of the state (probably most of it, by area) that is simply out voted by the Bay Area and the LA/San Diego area. It's kind of a rough sale when the urbanites are constantly pushing their goals and objectives onto the rural residents. There are very real differences in lifestyles and beliefs (infrastructure, cultural exposure, guns, religion, etc.). I am sympathetic to our rural residents in that respect but this isn't the solution they are looking for.
You could reapportion the California Senate so that each county had one senator. That would put a lot of power into the hands of rural counties. It would also leave the California Congressional delegation untouched.

Of course, such a plan would be impossible to pass.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:38 pm

CDFingers
You could reapportion the California Senate so that each county had one senator. That would put a lot of power into the hands of rural counties. It would also leave the California Congressional delegation untouched.

Yeah, politicians seem to balk at equal representation. :lol:

senorgrand wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:38 pm

CDFingers

In either Baker vs Carr or Reynolds vs Sims (one person-one vote cases) SCOTUS ruled against apportioning by county. We 'd have Alpine County with 1,175 people and LA County with 105 million people each having a state senator. I agree, the rural areas get screwed because the Bay Area and LA County out vote them. I too don't think So Cal as a whole would vote for it, there are right wing wackos in every county that would love it. LA County like them or not, is a major player in So Cal and moving them to a new state doesn't make sense. If it should pass I don't know if the legislature would have to accept those state boundaries or if they could redraw them. Congress could definitely redrawn them.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Well, that along w the fact that most voters in the major population centers don't even know about this referendum much less feel like they have a dog in the fight. The human tendency for "good enough" alone would prevent The Golden State from splitting off into Those Golden State-lettes.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Even if it did pass it would also take an act of the US Congress and Presidential signature to approve it. I normally would say that would never happen, but since it would probably give the Reptilians another two senators any thing is possible. I thought the Orange Slime Ball would not get nominated or elected. Has anybody check the Temperature in Hell lately?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:50 pm Even if it did pass it would also take an act of the US Congress and Presidential signature to approve it. I normally would say that would never happen, but since it would probably give the Reptilians another two senators any thing is possible. I thought the Orange Slime Ball would not get nominated or elected. Has anybody check the Temperature in Hell lately?
Been dropping below 0° C since Nov 8, 2016.... :yikes:

(Just remember: In Dante's "Inferno" the 7th (or was it the 9th?) Circle of Hell the sinners are frozen in ice.....)

So...what's the current state of the CalExit Movement? - https://yescalifornia.org/

Has this been superseded by the "let's split CA into multiple States" or are proponents of California seceding form the US still wanting that?

Gotta tell ya the truth, if CA would jump ship and become it's own nation I think that would benefit California a lot more than splitting it into factions/states.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.