“Forged Upper Conversion Kit” lower from Cobalt Kinetics

Cobalt Kinetics 50 State Legal “Forged Upper Conversion Kit” Lower Receiver
Earlier this year, Cobalt Kinetics introduced the Model 27 rifle which has an angled pistol grip that extends rearward and becomes the stock of the rifle. This weapon is 50 state legal. Recently, the company has announced the launch of what they call Forged Upper Conversion Kit which is basically a modified Model 27 lower receiver made compatible with standard AR-15 upper receivers.

Although the company states that the original reason of making the Model 27 rifle was to design an AR-pattern firearm that would have the feel of a more traditional rifle, perhaps its most important feature is the absence of a pistol grip and collapsible stock which made it 50 state compliant. The drawback of the Model 27 is that it has a low rate of parts compatibility with the standard AR-15 rifles. What they did with the Forged Upper Conversion Kit is redesigned its geometry to fit the standard AR-15 lower receiver parts (triggers, buffers etc.) and also make this lower receiver seamlessly fit the mil-spec AR-15 upper receivers. And of course, it is still a 50 state legal product.
Last edited by DispositionMatrix on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: “Forged Upper Conversion Kit” lower from Cobalt Kinetics

I see this and think "So how long until these states ban this anyways?"

As interesting as it looks, I feel like trying to skirt gun laws in these states at this rate is going to require some sort of federal law overriding them.
Mustang wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:47 pm For some reason the link above doesn't work for me...

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... -model-27/

Looks nice. Wonder if they will offer it as a "lower only" option.
the link is basically to them having a lower only, with the few parts not compatible with other AR lowers included for convenience sake. The stock is built in to the lower.

BillMcD wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:59 pm I see this and think "So how long until these states ban this anyways?"

As interesting as it looks, I feel like trying to skirt gun laws in these states at this rate is going to require some sort of federal law overriding them.
Mustang wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:47 pm For some reason the link above doesn't work for me...

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... -model-27/

Looks nice. Wonder if they will offer it as a "lower only" option.
the link is basically to them having a lower only, with the few parts not compatible with other AR lowers included for convenience sake. The stock is built in to the lower.
Six months to a year.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

321FLSurfer wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:02 pm I think it’s fair to say gun rights, vis a vis the SCOTUS, will be safe for the next 20 years or so at least. #kavanaut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know about that. I could see an "assault weapon" ban passing Congress at some point, and I doubt the Court would overturn it.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote:
321FLSurfer wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:02 pm I think it’s fair to say gun rights, vis a vis the SCOTUS, will be safe for the next 20 years or so at least. #kavanaut

I don't know about that. I could see an "assault weapon" ban passing Congress at some point, and I doubt the Court would overturn it.
Way to find the dark lining in the silver cloud, Eris. Also, I completely agree with you.

I recently heard on a podcast (Lovett or Leave it), where someone described the SCOTUS as “like Alexa for civil rights”. Hey, Alexa, we need marriage equality, hey Alexa, women should be able to have children (or not) on their own terms, hey Alexa, maybe we shouldn’t ban people from entering the country based on their religious identity... oh shit, never mind that last one. Anyhow, point being, we (liberals/progressives) have relied on the SCOTUS for far too long to maintain some sort of backstop against creeping fascism, and now that safety net is gone, so it does in fact look like we will collectively have to get off our asses and start donating, phone banking, and knocking on doors to support truly progressive candidates (Ocasio Cortez, what!?!?!) instead of centrist (Republican lite) Democrats.

And yes, I know that means we’re probably all hosed on the gun rights issue, but end of the day, I’d rather vote/canvas/campaign for someone that will support truly progressive policies, even if it means I might lose my guns.

I’ll fight like hell to get a seat at the table (btw, best way to get a seat at the table is to do the work) during the discussions about gun legislation with those progressive candidates, but I’d rather live in a society that limits/bans access to AWs and hi-cap mags, then a society that, well, turn on Fox News and take a look.

Listen to the LGC podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 80021?mt=2

"None of us is as smart as all of us." - K. Blanchard

Marlene wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:29 pm As a Californian used to seeing such things, I gotta say thats awful.

Thordsen is a much nicer version of the same idea and it works on a standard lower. For a non-standard lower, the Fight Lite SCR is so much nicer.
This one...
https://youtu.be/X5ymoUEj2Ho
Thordsen?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Of course, the problem with any of these "work arounds", like the Thordsen or the Cobalt Kenetics is that the State DOJ has not blessed them. Currently, the only assurance that they actually skirt the Assault
Weapons ban is the company's own legal counsel's opinion. Even if they do actually pass muster, there is also no assurance that the California legislature won't decide at some point in the future that these "work arounds" are really some kind of loophole and either ban them or require some sort of registration.

sikacz wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:16 am
Marlene wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:24 am Thordsen
https://www.thordsencustoms.com/photo-gallery/
This one is nice in my opinion...
That's the version that I have (with a slightly different upper. The fact that the ONLY thing that is different is the grip, and everything else is interchangeable with a standard AR makes it a winner over the Cobalt setup. Oh. And it's dramatically less expensive.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:26 pm
sikacz wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:16 am
Marlene wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:24 am Thordsen
https://www.thordsencustoms.com/photo-gallery/
This one is nice in my opinion...
That's the version that I have (with a slightly different upper. The fact that the ONLY thing that is different is the grip, and everything else is interchangeable with a standard AR makes it a winner over the Cobalt setup. Oh. And it's dramatically less expensive.
It might be an interesting one to build around. I don't know enough to contemplate it, but building one in a .30-06 and 24" barrel might get me interested. I guess I'd have to research AR-10 compatibility with this setup....lol
Last edited by sikacz on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Looks nice I'd like to have the "Stainless" one and build it up.
There are some good videos on Midway USA on how to build-up the components of an AR-15.
Kinda like building a model airplane, accept you get to go shoot it when you're finished!
Me...I'm mechanically inclined and versed in the use of hand tools and machines like drill presses, and other power equipment.
Watching Watch as Larry Potterfield do it makes it look pretty straightforward.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.