Re: ANNOUNCING A NEW POSTAL MATCH - “Even-Handed Justice”

Bucolic wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am I am humbled...

Having already shot the rimfire classes, and feeling pretty good about myself, I expected to do pretty well with centerfire. So I shot the one-handed strong and weak centerfire classes with my CZ Sp-01 this morning. I was in a bit of a rush and did not really have time to practice. I shot the strong hand first and then the weak, which may account for my weak score being better than my strong.

The good news: I put all 60 rounds on paper, if not on the scoring areas.

The bad: my scores sucked at 185 and 210 for the strong and weak hands, respectively.

Must practice, practice, practice...
Well, don't feel bad. I haven't shot it yet, but if I break 100 on this I'll be happy.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

I shot the centerfire portion yesterday evening. Scored as high right handed as I normally do with two hands at 45ft, but left hand was pathetic. :shock: I mean bad. soooooo baaaaad that I'd be embarrassed if you all knew what the score was. :lol:

I'll shoot rimfire just as soon as I remember where I put the OEM grips for the Mark II. I'm hoping for higher scores than the centerfire portion, but that hand cannon is hard to hold steady. :smart:

I experimented a little with dry firing and shooting with my left hand and both eyes open (so my dominant right eye was aiming) vs. with my right eye closed. I couldn't really tell if one was better than the other, probably because I'm too erratic to detect a difference without scoring many, many shots and doing statistics on the horrible spray of bullets. I decided that the alignment of the gun, my hand and my arm looked better when aiming with the left eye, so I've been focusing on that approach (pun intended).

In centerfire I got nearly the same score with each hand (right hand would have won, but I dropped a shot completely off the paper in the last rapid-fire string).

I still haven't shot the rimfire rounds. I hope to get to the range to do it tomorrow. It would be a shame not to get around to it before the deadline, since this match was one of my reasons for getting the 5.5" MkII (the other was simple avarice). As Max mentioned, shooting the 10" MkII with one hand is quite a struggle.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Bucolic wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:35 pm A reminder that this match will close in just over two weeks - Sept 4th, the day after Labor Day. So far, participation is not overwhelming.

Give it a try. It’s humbling but fun.
I'll second that - on all counts. :)

I sent in my centrefire strong-hand scores today - not one target had all 10 shots scoring. Buc very kindly agreed that it was probably the ammo, but .... :D
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

danhue wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:05 pm I plan to participate. Barring the unforeseen, I will send in my scores before the deadline.

Incidentally, I've bought some official targets, with different color bullseye, in an attempt to increase contrast (indoors, that is my main issue). I also got a 10-round extended magazine for my 1911.

As you can see, I take it seriously ;)
What magazine did you get and how's it working out? I got a Wilson Comabt Elite Tactical 10 round mag but it doesn't seem to feed reliably.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

I was happily surprised with my centerfire scores, particularly since I used a revolver (although my 19-3 has a very nice trigger, somewhat offset by it's rocky bore).

I shot the rimfire last Saturday afternoon with the little MkII and was less pleased. The first time I've scored lower in rimfire than in centerfire, and not by just a couple of points, either! I didn't think the exercise class I went to on Friday was very taxing to the arms and I was cautious about caffeine consumption that morning, so I don't have an excuse. I was having some wobbling that I don't remember from dry firing, although none of the one-handed live practice I did was on the canonical targets for this match, so maybe I really am that shaky almost all the time.

It's disturbing to think that there are people who can score 300s one-handed, without even resorting to shortening the range.

I shot the dominant hand categories tonight (both rim- and center-fire). I did OK too. I won't win, but let's just say I did quite a bit better one-handed at 10 yards than two-handed at 15. Especially with my Buck Mark, it seems the ergos are better suited for that style of shooting. That was interesting.

I'll try the weak hand categories, just for laughs and giggles, with zero expectation.

Eris wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:00 pm
danhue wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:05 pm I plan to participate. Barring the unforeseen, I will send in my scores before the deadline.

Incidentally, I've bought some official targets, with different color bullseye, in an attempt to increase contrast (indoors, that is my main issue). I also got a 10-round extended magazine for my 1911.

What magazine did you get and how's it working out? I got a Wilson Comabt Elite Tactical 10 round mag but it doesn't seem to feed reliably.
I tried my new factory 10-rounder tonight, and it failed abysmally. Could not push the first or second round. I gave up on it. I need to break it in, but I wanted to do the match, so that will be for another time.

danhue wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 pm
Eris wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:00 pm

I tried my new factory 10-rounder tonight, and it failed abysmally. Could not push the first or second round. I gave up on it. I need to break it in, but I wanted to do the match, so that will be for another time.
Luckily, my Sauer came with 2 7- round mags, so I just loaded 5 in each and did a quick change in the middle.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

No need for a ten round magazine or a rushed mag change. You can shoot the rapid (or timed) fire as two five shot strings with a leisurely reload between them. Our rules don't say anything about the timing of the reload.

When shooting outdoors at 50 feet (which I do for most of the matches). I put up all three targets at once on a 2' x 2.5' backer and I usually score each five shot string through binoculars before moving on to the next, in case I really yank one and it hits a different bullseye entirely. I don't recall specifically, but I'm sure at least once they called "Five minutes to cease-fire" before I shot the first string and I waited to shoot the second after the cease-fire to be sure I wouldn't hear the "One minute to cease-fire. Stop shooting now!" announcement during the second string.

I found a little time to shoot the strong hand portion of the rimfire portion. a portion of a portion. :-) I didn't do too badly, although I expect the weak hand portion to be humbling, if not out right humiliating. I normally practice at least a full set of three targets before shooting a match, but I could tell that fatigue would be a problem one handed so I kept my warm up to a minimum. It seemed to work OK.

I have a right hand grip on the MK II so I'll have to put the OEM grip back on for the last bit of shooting. Now I just need an hour or so of range time.