Norinco 213 9mm

Damn that gun show!
Never used in the box. Norinco Model 213, a copy of a Tokarev. It had a light rust inside & out. I rubbed it down with gun oil and flitz and about rubbed the shoe polish, I mean, the blueing off.

Imported from China, 9mm 8rd, 4.7" barrel. SA action. 7.7" overall length. 31.9oz
Norinco trigger group.jpg
Norinco slide.jpg
Norinco 9mm.jpg
It breaks down similar to 1911s. The trigger group is different and it is removable (fig 1). Barrel, slide, and recoil spring all look familiar. (fig 2)

The finish is thin. The parts are certainly rough compared to anything other modern gun. There are plenty of crude filing marks. The serrations on the trigger are lop-sided and sharp as a zester.

The parchment that counts as a manual says "Service Life 2000 rounds." Reading other forums I couldn't find any owner who could vouch for this and all say no wear has been noticed on any of them.

The chunky safety on the slide is no friend of a lefty. I also read that was added to meet import requirements. They were last imported in 1992, if the internet is to be believed. There is a half-cock that is a safety on a chambered round.

I've polished and rubbed out a lot of the marks except the jumbo ones. The slide is like silk after lapping it with chrome cleaner. I'll take it down further to polish up the trigger bow and some other areas. Once I get some range time with it I can see where the friction is and will go at it with a buffing wheel.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/tokarev213.htm
Here's a good article and take down pix.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: Norinco 213 9mm

Tokarev is a Browning 1903(5?) design with some changes.

Let me know how it shoots. I've missed two opportunities to buy one. :(

You might want to deactivate and plug that safety...they are far from safe. The only real way to carry one is with an empty chamber.

You should also be able to shoot 7.62x25 by getting a barrel off the interwebs.

Congrats!

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Service life, 2000 rounds? That's hard to believe. I've got a '38 TT-33 (7.62x25) and it's as solid as any gun I've ever owned. It's not like Kel-Tec made it. It's a very serviceable piece. Congrats.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

senorgrand wrote:Tokarev is a Browning 1903(5?) design with some changes.

Let me know how it shoots. I've missed two opportunities to buy one. :(

You might want to deactivate and plug that safety...they are far from safe. The only real way to carry one is with an empty chamber.

You should also be able to shoot 7.62x25 by getting a barrel off the interwebs.

Congrats!
The ejection port is too small and the ejector notch too far forwards to be a good conversion to 7.62. Some early models were converted Type 54s, and could be easily converted. If the OP would like to try, you also need the barrel bushing.
ScorpionHunter wrote:
Impugning the intellect, maturity and sanity of ______________ has been a consistent message of the antis for decades.
QFT

No problem, Señor!
SD, you should find the pistol to be a fun and reliable shooter. Mine shoot well with FMJ or JHP, and my brother even CCs one.
By the way you have the narrow mag model, and reportedly Zastava M88A mags will fit it. If you find yourself awash in wide mags, you can convert it to a wide mag by drifting out the pin in the spacer under the grips.
ScorpionHunter wrote:
Impugning the intellect, maturity and sanity of ______________ has been a consistent message of the antis for decades.
QFT

Simmer down wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:I like.
I won't make it to the range for a few days so no action to judge yet.

It feels like a Colt 1903 in its thinness. Thin is what my 44 revolvers lack. :confused:
They make good point shooters because of that.
ScorpionHunter wrote:
QFT

I got to the range and overall this is a good thing. The rear sight needed adjustment and I didn't have a 3lb hammer with me so I just compensated.

I had a tub of Tulammo that the glock would have nothing to do with but the Norcino did fine with it. I also had some winchester, both were 115g.

Braced one-handed shooting was no effort for the shots to stay in a 3" circle at 7 yards. It feels like a small gun but its really in between a full-size and a commander 1911 in barrel length and overall length. The iffy safety didn't wobble out of Fire like I've read about some others doing. I shot about 115 rounds and no complaints other than the sight being off.

I broke it down and the only clear wear is the spot where the slide hits the hammer to cock it back. That section of the slide needs a slight angle but it has a very square edge. I read how one 213 owner buffed that mark to a rounded corner to reduce the effort needed to pull the slide back while the hammer is down. Mine has to be cocked to rack the slide.

The bogus safety was added to pass some sort of import bar. The intended safety is a half-cock notch. I can see using that. I think these required safeties initially were not based on actual safety concerns but a way to cull cheap guns from import. The jiggly addition to this gun certainly doesn't up its safety but its not always about safety.

The only Norinco anything I ever owned was a 20 footer copy of a Remington 870 12 gauge. What an absolute piece of shit. Neighbor kid won it brand new at some raffle and needed a hundred bucks so I bought it from him. After 3/4 of a box of shells it started jamming. I took it to the last gun show here and sold it for 150 to some mouth-breather in camo and a black bandanna thing on his head. He saw me carrying it.
Hey jew jest buy that 870 yo?
No, it's for sale, hundred fifty
I'll take it yo here's the money!!
Never even looked at it, handed me the money and swaggered off like the cat that caught the canary

Cabrito wrote:The only Norinco anything I ever owned was a 20 footer copy of a Remington 870 12 gauge. What an absolute piece of shit. Neighbor kid won it brand new at some raffle and needed a hundred bucks so I bought it from him. After 3/4 of a box of shells it started jamming. I took it to the last gun show here and sold it for 150 to some mouth-breather in camo and a black bandanna thing on his head. He saw me carrying it.
Never even looked at it, handed me the money and swaggered off like the cat that caught the canary
The gun show loop hole.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Cabrito wrote:The only Norinco anything I ever owned was a 20 footer copy of a Remington 870 12 gauge. What an absolute piece of shit. Neighbor kid won it brand new at some raffle and needed a hundred bucks so I bought it from him. After 3/4 of a box of shells it started jamming. I took it to the last gun show here and sold it for 150 to some mouth-breather in camo and a black bandanna thing on his head. He saw me carrying it.
My NEF Pardner Pump is awesome, yours must have been a lemon. In fact the only Chinese firearm I have had that didn't work right was one of my 213's, and it has been Bubba'ed.
ScorpionHunter wrote:
QFT

Simmer down wrote:

The bogus safety was added to pass some sort of import bar. The intended safety is a half-cock notch. I can see using that. I think these required safeties initially were not based on actual safety concerns but a way to cull cheap guns from import. The jiggly addition to this gun certainly doesn't up its safety but its not always about safety.
I read recently of someone who used a cut down carriage bolt to fill the hole and IIRC JB Welded it in. It looked pretty good and didn't require a refinish.
ScorpionHunter wrote:
QFT

Simmer down wrote:
OldScratch wrote:Simmer, how do you like that grip?
I like it. Thin but still feels my hand. It doesn't require a vice-like grip so its fine.
I was just wondering as the grip angle is tough for some. The Makarov's grip is similarly right-angled, compared to say a Glock. The Tok and the Mak got to be the most right-angled semi's I've held.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

OldScratch wrote:
Simmer down wrote:
OldScratch wrote:Simmer, how do you like that grip?
I like it. Thin but still feels my hand. It doesn't require a vice-like grip so its fine.
I was just wondering as the grip angle is tough for some. The Makarov's grip is similarly right-angled, compared to say a Glock. The Tok and the Mak got to be the most right-angled semi's I've held.
It feels more natural for my wrist than a 1911. I was shooting a compact 1911 at the same outing and the difference in angles was noticeable.

4.5 titegroup.jpg
I've shot about 500 rounds of the 2,000 round service life. :roll:

After repeated polishing this gun is feeling waaaay better. There's still a good amount of of creep in the trigger but I'll live with it. I bumped the loads from 3.9g to 4.5g of titegroup, the max end, and it makes a difference. The target was 10 yards. I was aiming at the red arrows. I need to tap that rear sight a little more.

Increasing the powder decreased the stove pipes but I still get one per mag. I'm guessing this could be eradicated with a better mag spring.

I drug this out to the Austin shoot yesterday and used 115g fmj Lawman. All my other shooting with this was done with reloads using 115g lead.

Boy howdy. There was quite an improvement with the store bought stuff. I certainly haven't put in any range time with this since I did my first tinkering with it so I'll' give credit to the ammo.

No photos but I imagine I kept the magful in a 2-2.5" knot.

If it is the ammo, what occurs with lead and fmj that affects consistency?