Ammo-geddon 2020

Talk about anything you like but keep it civil. This is a public forum, the views and opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of the LGC.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Ammo-geddon 2020

Post by K9s »

I saw a Colt Trooper that I had my eye on literally double in price the past month. IWI Tavors are probably unobtainable in 18", but the prices only jumped $400-500 in price.

I bought two Colt M4s at $700 (FDE) and $725 (Black) 18 months ago as investments. I see them selling for $1400 (out of stock) and $1600 (in stock) now. Used ones selling for $1000.

WTF???
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

TxChinaman
Chatty

Post by TxChinaman »

K9s wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:08 pm
I saw a Colt Trooper that I had my eye on literally double in price the past month. IWI Tavors are probably unobtainable in 18", but the prices only jumped $400-500 in price.

I bought two Colt M4s at $700 (FDE) and $725 (Black) 18 months ago as investments. I see them selling for $1400 (out of stock) and $1600 (in stock) now. Used ones selling for $1000.

WTF???
Smart thinking on the Colts. I kinda wish I had bought a couple of complete ARs to flip. It's the same kind of price insanity displayed when Obama was elected, and then again after Sandy Hook. And people were happy to pay the inflated prices to get their hands any kind of AR style weapon. My coworker told me that during one of the panics ago he had a plain AR that he sold for $3200 when he advertised it online. It only cost him $600 when he bought it new. And his voicemail had messages from more than 30 other guys desperate to buy it.

Stiff
Loquacious

Post by Stiff »

Since I could be moving to NJ, I need to get rid of my evil black rifles. This might be a good time to do it.

Well, maybe I should wait until I’m sure that I don’t need them anymore...

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

Stiff wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:01 pm
Since I could be moving to NJ, I need to get rid of my evil black rifles. This might be a good time to do it.

Well, maybe I should wait until I’m sure that I don’t need them anymore...
Do it or at least trim things down. If you have anything NJ compliant, you'll be fine for HD/SD.

I have no reason to sell right now, because I think the next panic will be when I sell. If my job is in peril, I wouldn't know where to post for sale except GB. Maybe I will look into that.

I'll keep my commie weapons, though.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

Wolf Gold 223 is back up on TSUSA, except now it's $0.37/rd as opposed to the previous $0.26/rd

I guess if you really need it, it's there.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

I still don't understand this panic. Did this start on social media? How did the newbies suddenly decide they needed guns n ammo?

To paraphrase Dave Barry:

“It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for guns n ammo to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity.”
Attachments
8180dbeb167716421e23abf5c9e1603d[1].jpg

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel

Post by DispositionMatrix »

Shooters Outpost in Hooksett, New Hampshire claims to have sold 2,4000,000 rounds of 9mm this month. They still have ammo, though.

Tedzilla
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Tedzilla »

DispositionMatrix wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:22 am
Shooters Outpost in Hooksett, New Hampshire claims to have sold 2,4000,000 rounds of 9mm this month. They still have ammo, though.
I think there's at least 1 extra zero in that figure.
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

SGAmmo: Due to overwhelming order volume that came in March 13th to 16th we are not currently accepting new orders and all product listings are offline.

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TrueTexan »

Grabagun has most ammo out of stock. Interesting they showed .45 acp military grade Winchester 50 rounds for $15.69 in the military style box. They had .32 acp and some 25 acp.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

bajajoaquin
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by bajajoaquin »

K9s wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:26 pm
SGAmmo: Due to overwhelming order volume that came in March 13th to 16th we are not currently accepting new orders and all product listings are offline.
On the phone with a buddy now. He says he just got his tracking number for SG Ammo. So it took a while to ship, but they're going to be able to fill all their orders they've already taken.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

bajajoaquin wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:30 pm
K9s wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:26 pm
On the phone with a buddy now. He says he just got his tracking number for SG Ammo. So it took a while to ship, but they're going to be able to fill all their orders they've already taken.
Yes, everyone is going to get what they ordered. Everything from Amazon to Zales is shipping slowly because of demand.

And stores here still don't have TP, either.

TxChinaman
Chatty

Post by TxChinaman »

bajajoaquin wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:21 pm
I think this was a good summary and prediction of the future:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=por6_U89J9E
Here's a 2015 post from SIGforum on the subject of panic buying that is relevant to what has happened a few times in the years since, and holds true for the current situation. Based on my periodic checks of various online retailers in recent days, the situation he describes regarding AR rifles, AR components, pistols, ammo, and magazines is starting to come true again.
In the last panic, I was both a customer (always will be) and a shop-keep, so I hope some of my observations, coming from the other side of the counter, will be of use to you. Maybe some of what I'm going to share will help you answer not so much the "what" but the "how?" "why?" and "when?" of a gun panic.
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/ ... 4440089983

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

Good lines from that 2015 post:
I have a general rule when observing panics: Watch .223/5.56. If you get to the store and you can’t find .223/5.56, then buy 9mm. If you can’t buy .223/5.56 or 9mm, then buy .22lr. If you can’t buy either of those three, you’re too late.
How not to Panic during the Panic

Hopefully some of this has been interesting or new to you. The best line of defense against panic is to not subject yourself to panic at all. Buy what you need before-hand with enough space commodity items to trade if you run out of something unexpectedly.

I’ve had to give the sad face to multiple customers during the panic of 2013. I heard “I could have bought that for 1/2 the price three weeks ago!” so many times I almost told the last customer who said it “Then you should go back to three-weeks ago and buy it!” Don’t be that guy. Be the guy who comes in and shrugs while saying “I have ten of those at home, NIW.”

Retailers will raise their prices in accordance with demand, especially when supplies drop. I understand that it’s unpopular to see pricing increases, but I actually got laid off for a little while in 2013 because we had no product to sell. If my boss had to raise prices to keep me employed a little longer, and prevent other stores from buying out our stock and jacking their own prices up (absent competition), I was ok with that. It’s just market physics, whether you like it or not, expect it to happen.

But you don’t have to be subject to it if you plan ahead. Even if you are in the middle of it, hopefully something I’ve said here will make sense and help you figure out whether to buy that Aimpoint first, or the stripped upper receiver in front of you. Stock up and Good Luck!
Last edited by K9s on Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

you know we're in trouble when there's a run on 30-40krag.
just got lights and electricity installed in my shop, will build a bench for reloading tomorrow, plan to start setting up to actually reload over the weekend.
need to inventory supplies.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

Aside from 19th century cartridges (looking at you, .30-40 Krag!), would the standby 40 S&W be easy to find? I remember the last panic when 9mm and 45ACP were gone (forget 22LR), but 40 was around. I wasn't into 5.56 or .308 back then, so I didn't pay attention to it, but 7.62x39 did get more expensive, too. Will .308 or 7.62x51 be hard to find?

rascally
Chatty

Post by rascally »

During the last ammo shortage when I lived down close to Savannah the two calibers I always saw stocked at Walmart were 30.06 and 300 Win Mag.

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

K9s wrote:Aside from 19th century cartridges (looking at you, .30-40 Krag!), would the standby 40 S&W be easy to find? I remember the last panic when 9mm and 45ACP were gone (forget 22LR), but 40 was around. I wasn't into 5.56 or .308 back then, so I didn't pay attention to it, but 7.62x39 did get more expensive, too. Will .308 or 7.62x51 be hard to find?
308 and 6.5cm have been pretty available so far, and with only a nominally painful price increase (50¢/rd to 75¢/rd) 7.62x51 is pretty much gone with the 223/556/300aac/9mm/40s&w/45acp. But there's plenty of 22lr still floating around!

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

from what i've seen it's the tactical ar15 5.56/beretta 9mm crowd that clears the shelves first. boutique rounds, 300blk, 6.5, .40. are next, then old warhorses like .45acp, 7.62x51(.308). finally, .38, .357 and common hunting rounds like 30-06 ares among the last to disappear.

we go thru this every election cycle, fear of a dem gun-banner drives supplies down and prices up, add in this latest version of zombie/y2k and it's hardly a surprise, corona may have pushed it up sooner but it was going to happen. i'll wait a while, go shopping when things calm down.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

lurker wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:32 pm
from what i've seen it's the tactical ar15 5.56/beretta Glock 9mm crowd that clears the shelves first. boutique rounds, 300blk, 6.5, .40. are next, then old warhorses like .45acp, 7.62x51(.308). finally, .38, .357 and common hunting rounds like 30-06 ares among the last to disappear.

we go thru this every election cycle, fear of a dem gun-banner drives supplies down and prices up, add in this latest version of zombie/y2k and it's hardly a surprise, corona may have pushed it up sooner but it was going to happen. i'll wait a while, go shopping when things calm down.
Fixed it for you. :D

Also, 357, 38, and 44 are usually gone with 45ACP in a panic. Most gun guys have revolvers and 1911s to feed.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

K9s wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:42 pm
glock
Fixed it for you. :D
i stand corrected. :bow:

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

I went back to look just ONE MORE TIME at a Howa 1500 rifle I have been wanting... it was under $400 after shipping, tax, and FFL... and the price had already jumped out of my comfort range after 24 hours. I guess I didn't really need a 308 bolt gun anyway. Fate was telling me to save my cash, I guess.

I already miss the days of cheap guns n ammo. Oh, well.

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

K9s wrote:I went back to look just ONE MORE TIME at a Howa 1500 rifle I have been wanting... it was under $400 after shipping, tax, and FFL... and the price had already jumped out of my comfort range after 24 hours. I guess I didn't really need a 308 bolt gun anyway. Fate was telling me to save my cash, I guess.

I already miss the days of cheap guns n ammo. Oh, well.
For real. At least most of us here bought up when the getting was good. Though I say you still need a 308 bolt action rifle ;)

SubRosa
Chatty

Post by SubRosa »

https://www.dsarms.com/p-17214-portugue ... dium=email

This is good shit, take it from me...I've shot thousands of rounds without ANY hiccups. Buy a little while they have it!

S u b R o s a
We all come here to drink from the Fountain of Madness.