Do you legally conceal carry?

Yes, every day and every place that the law will let me.
Total votes: 215 (42%)
Yes, only when I know I am going to someplace with increased risk
Total votes: 71 (14%)
Yes, sometimes, if I think about it.
Total votes: 41 (8%)
Not really, but I have a permit regardless.
Total votes: 64 (13%)
No, and I don't have a permit.
Total votes: 119 (23%)
Total votes: 510

Re: Do You Carry

Nothing has changed for me, I still carry wherever it's legal to do so. This is Pence's state, and it has been deep red for a while now. The deplorables already won here, so if they wanted to do stupid stuff they would have done it already.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

HuckleberryFun wrote:UPDATE:
I changed my vote. Since Trump was elected I now carry every day and everywhere. Things are already starting to get ugly, and I no longer feel safe.
Yup. I already voted and posted that I carry, but I just bought two more holsters for carrying more often on-body. Now that assaults are being reported across the city, happening for inane reasons like looking like a Trump voter or looking like a gay couple or whatever, I want to be prepared. :mad: :weep: :no: :angry: :confused: :guns:
-Kat
Illinois Chapter President
LGC Certified Instructor, Intro to Pistol and Range Safety

I live in SW Washington, super easy and quick to get a permit here. Haven't done the class to carry in OR yet, been a little lazy about that.

I carry when I'm with my wife usually, or when I'm out with friends.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. "
-Edward Abbey

Depends on what I wear and where Im going. Concealment reasons. Taurus tcp 380 and spare mag when I cannot or do not want to take my Beretta PX4 Storm 40 S&W and spare mag. Sometimes I carry nothing at all.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

I would carry a lot more but where I work doesn't allow it. In addition, I could be fired for having a firearm locked up in my car. So my carry time is limited to weekends and after work.

I believe my chances of being attacked are low, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

I got my CCW eight years ago. As a teacher, I have been trying to influence policy at our school to see if concealed carry could be allowed for employees. Every time there is a mass shooting at a school or other "gun free zone", I ask about and advocate for deep concealed carry for willing, experienced, and squared-away staff and faculty. I think you should be a gun owner for a couple of years and practiced in safe gun handling and tactical training before taking this on. I've written and revised a draft policy on concealed carry for employees that gives oversight to the administration. No interest yet from the boss. But I keep trying. The continuing terrorist/active shooter threat is slowly changing minds. The recent result of the presidential election may be a catalyst in changing hearts and minds in this sensitive area.

lurker wrote:
jamesjames wrote:I've written and revised a draft policy on concealed carry for employees that gives oversight to the administration.
i wonder if LGC execs would be interested in this?
I know I'd like to see how its constructed. Any chance of sharing your draft document?

This is my first day, third post. While my administration is cautious and up-to-now disinterested in talking about concealed carry policy on our campus, my son's principal invited me to meet with their safety committee to review their ALICE training outcomes. I am not advocating all teacher or staff carry. Only those who would be willing participants with experience and the seriousness of purpose and mindset to do it professionally and successfully.

At t the risk of hijacking a thread... your wish is my command:

Draft Policy on Concealed Carry by Faculty and Staff.

The employer and its employees recognize the responsibility of the employer to maintain a safe and secure working environment. In seeking to balance and coordinate the needs of the employer for workplace safety with taking necessary precautions against an active shooter scenario occurring on campus, this procedure provides for employee concealed carry of a firearm on campus.

Current employer policy forbids weapons on the campus. Violence or threat of violence is in direct contradiction of the core values of the institution. However, the employer takes precautions to defend against an active shooter scenario. The employer acknowledges that in the face of a violent attack on campus, the use of defensive force is necessary to consider. Full-time employees with a concealed handgun license (CHL) may be allowed to carry their firearm on campus within the following provisions:

Conditions for concealed carry. The employee who carries a concealed firearm is responsible and assumes legal liability for the firearm. Employee concealed carry can only occur by observing stringent security protocols. The employee has undergone a course of instruction and obtained a certificate of completion. The employee has obtained a concealed handgun license (CHL) from the sheriff's office and will keep the license up to date. The CHL must be carried when firearm is carried. For employee carry, the firearm must be sub-compact in size. The firearm shall only be loaded with factory-produced ammunition. Firearm safety devices and locks must be in good working order. Loading, unloading, and all weapon checks and manipulations must be done off-campus. Due to the limited capacity of subcompact firearms, it is understood that additional ammunition may be carried.

The firearm must be holstered at all times. The holster must be an inside-the-waistband (IWB) holster attached to the belt and designed for deep concealment. Alternative: Holster may be an ankle holster with retention. The holster will completely cover and protect the trigger to prevent accidental discharge. The holster must be worn on the body at all times so that the concealed carry employee always has secure control of the firearm. The firearm may not be carried in a purse, or briefcase. The firearm may not be left in a desk or locker. If the firearm must be taken off, it shall be stored securely in a locked firearm box or safe in the employee's personal vehicle.

The firearm must never, under any circumstances, leave the holster while on the premises, except in the event of defending against an active shooter. The firearm should be retained by holster even in a bathroom stall. A professional conceal carry posture means the firearm will never be brandished, bragged about or even mentioned by the concealed carry employee. The employee will maintain a professional concealed carry posture at all times, so that others are not aware the employee is armed. The firearm will be concealed by a cover garment so that it remains concealed at all times.

Review and revocation. The concealed carry employee would be subject to review and revocation of carry in the workplace by the executive team. Failure to maintain concealment of a firearm is grounds for revocation. Disorderly, negligent, intimidating, or dangerous conduct with a firearm is grounds for immediate dismissal.

Rules of engagement. Since subcompact firearms are smaller and lighter than law enforcement duty side arms, the concealed carry firearm is considered a close-quarter combat tool. The mindset and tactical response of the armed employee would be to defend against an attack in progress within a limited engagement range. The armed employee would not take long distance or low-percentage-of-success shots against an active shooter with a sub-compact firearm. The armed employee would follow the guidelines set out in our in-service active shooter training:

1. Run. Evacuate the building and area. Active shooters who attacked schools have not been shown to be interested in shooting multiple moving targets. Active shooters look for easy targets.
2. Barricade. If you hear shots outside, barricade the classroom or office door. Shelter in place.
3. Fight. If an active shooter enters the room, bring the fight to him immediately. Swarm. Improvise defensive tools. Take him down and subdue until the threat has been neutralized.

In the event of an active shooter on campus, the concealed carry employee would be expected to secure the employees or students s/he is responsible for first (if there is time), before engaging an active shooter. The employee would be expected to train with the firearm on a monthly basis and maintain the firearm in good working order. The employee would be required to successfully complete training(s) on active shooter or tactical defensive shooting made available by law enforcement or the employer.

The employer may require the concealed carry employee to become a sworn reserve safety officer under local law enforcement supervision.

The employer reserves the right to pilot this procedure by limiting it to selected employees on a trial basis. The employer reserves the right to terminate this procedure at any time.
Last edited by jamesjames on Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

I carry as part of my job (manager of a pawn shop); my boss requires it although I don't have a permit. I did have a concealed carry permit when I was living in Indiana because, then, the cost was nominal (like $30) but when I moved to Arkansas I found that, here, we're talking about a couple of hundred bucks because, aside from the fees one is obliged to attend and pass a class. If it were a range test, like a driving test, I'd be OK with that but after 50+ years of being a firearms enthusiast I don't have time to take off a whole days work and really don't think I need to go "back to school." It just seems like a money making scam.

Which does raise another issue that I have with gun laws. The 2nd amendment is part of the Constitution of the US. I, for one, don't understand why it's regulation should be left to the vagaries of individual states. We don't have separate rules, per state, regarding the 1st amendment...

Damocles wrote:I carry as part of my job (manager of a pawn shop); my boss requires it although I don't have a permit. I did have a concealed carry permit when I was living in Indiana because, then, the cost was nominal (like $30) but when I moved to Arkansas I found that, here, we're talking about a couple of hundred bucks because, aside from the fees one is obliged to attend and pass a class. If it were a range test, like a driving test, I'd be OK with that but after 50+ years of being a firearms enthusiast I don't have time to take off a whole days work and really don't think I need to go "back to school." It just seems like a money making scam.

Which does raise another issue that I have with gun laws. The 2nd amendment is part of the Constitution of the US. I, for one, don't understand why it's regulation should be left to the vagaries of individual states. We don't have separate rules, per state, regarding the 1st amendment...
I have a friend in Indiana (I'm in Illinois), after the election she decided she needed a gun, but hasn't help one in 20 years. She bought a gun at a show and walked out with it that day, then applied for and got her carry permit in less than a week, no training, no nothing. I've owned and shot all my life, carried for a living, and I had to take a 16 hour class and pass a written and shooting test, applied for my card and may hear back within 45-120 days. My total cost for the class and permit is almost $500.

I carried religiously for many years but gradually slacked off. I've been more likely to carry starting with an incident where a Trumpoid brown shirt in a lifted pickup pointed a rifle at my wife. As these types started feeling more empowered I feel compelled to carry. My wife's arthritis makes it nearly impossible for her to rack a slide so a .22WRM Taurus 941 Ultralight is what I got for her. The trigger pull is characteristically way too heavy so that one is getting an action job. I've been carrying a KelTec PMR30 of late. I stopped buying into pissing contests about large caliber stopping power when it became apparent that the heavier and less concealable the weapon, the less likely I was to carry it. The retired IPSC Limited Class .45acp P-14 I used to carry is in the night stand now. I recently acquired a KSG. I'm not a fan of "black guns" but being blind in my dominant eye makes ambi operation essential. That means bottom eject for which the choices are few. The 18 1/2" Ithaca 37 would have been a contender but but was still too long for hallways. The KSG was more easily attained and less expensive.

Queen wrote:I have a friend in Indiana (I'm in Illinois), after the election she decided she needed a gun, but hasn't help one in 20 years. She bought a gun at a show and walked out with it that day, then applied for and got her carry permit in less than a week, no training, no nothing. I've owned and shot all my life, carried for a living, and I had to take a 16 hour class and pass a written and shooting test, applied for my card and may hear back within 45-120 days. My total cost for the class and permit is almost $500.
I'll be curious to see how far the national reciprocity law goes. Will it just abolish individual state reciprocity or will it abolish "may issue" so all states will be "shall issue", require uniform training requirements, allow constitutional carry, prohibit state restrictions on guns, ammo etc. A lot of items for one bill, it might be a series of bills. The NRA will want to be repaid for the money they put into this campaign.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Dreamsinger wrote:I carried religiously for many years but gradually slacked off. I've been more likely to carry starting with an incident where a Trumpoid brown shirt in a lifted pickup pointed a rifle at my wife. As these types started feeling more empowered I feel compelled to carry. My wife's arthritis makes it nearly impossible for her to rack a slide so a .22WRM Taurus 941 Ultralight is what I got for her. The trigger pull is characteristically way too heavy so that one is getting an action job. I've been carrying a KelTec PMR30 of late. I stopped buying into pissing contests about large caliber stopping power when it became apparent that the heavier and less concealable the weapon, the less likely I was to carry it. The retired IPSC Limited Class .45acp P-14 I used to carry is in the night stand now. I recently acquired a KSG. I'm not a fan of "black guns" but being blind in my dominant eye makes ambi operation essential. That means bottom eject for which the choices are few. The 18 1/2" Ithaca 37 would have been a contender but but was still too long for hallways. The KSG was more easily attained and less expensive.
Has the PMR 30 been reliable for you? Can you empty a full mag without any malfunction? I ask because I was going to buy it, until I heard that the reliability is not that great.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

highdesert wrote:I'll be curious to see how far the national reciprocity law goes. Will it just abolish individual state reciprocity or will it abolish "may issue" so all states will be "shall issue", require uniform training requirements, allow constitutional carry, prohibit state restrictions on guns, ammo etc. A lot of items for one bill, it might be a series of bills. The NRA will want to be repaid for the money they put into this campaign.
My hope is that if passed, it will be designed to harmonize the various state requirements, including mandatory training - both classroom (the legal aspects of CC) and range time.
"I aim to misbehave"

Stiff wrote:
Dreamsinger wrote:I carried religiously for many years but gradually slacked off. I've been more likely to carry starting with an incident where a Trumpoid brown shirt in a lifted pickup pointed a rifle at my wife. As these types started feeling more empowered I feel compelled to carry. My wife's arthritis makes it nearly impossible for her to rack a slide so a .22WRM Taurus 941 Ultralight is what I got for her. The trigger pull is characteristically way too heavy so that one is getting an action job. I've been carrying a KelTec PMR30 of late. I stopped buying into pissing contests about large caliber stopping power when it became apparent that the heavier and less concealable the weapon, the less likely I was to carry it. The retired IPSC Limited Class .45acp P-14 I used to carry is in the night stand now. I recently acquired a KSG. I'm not a fan of "black guns" but being blind in my dominant eye makes ambi operation essential. That means bottom eject for which the choices are few. The 18 1/2" Ithaca 37 would have been a contender but but was still too long for hallways. The KSG was more easily attained and less expensive.
Has the PMR 30 been reliable for you? Can you empty a full mag without any malfunction? I ask because I was going to buy it, until I heard that the reliability is not that great.
Like some guns the PMR30 needs a little break-in. I was advised by long term owners to clean and lube the gun, especially the mags before I did anything. Having loaded a mag before cleaning I can tell you that it makes a huge difference. The technique for loading the mags is also important due to the idiosyncrasies of double stacking a rimmed cartridge. The last 5 rounds are hard to insert in a new mag but as my friends found this gets easier with use. If you're as OCD as I am you'll only load 25 rounds anyway since .22WRM comes packaged 50/box. As the manual suggests, the PMR30 doesn't like cheap ammo or light weight bullets. They aren't kidding. I save my Armscorp cheap stuff for my revolvers. I've only had two malfs in 300rds, one being when my wife limp wristed it, the other from a dented case from my initial hamfisted loading. Since nearly every used gun I've seen for sale is purported to have been either "unfired" or has less than 50 rounds through it (yeah, right) I'm going to assume that reports of unreliability are from people who based their observations on a new gun without breaking it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueJAvgE9mNo

jamesjames wrote:I got my CCW eight years ago. As a teacher, I have been trying to influence policy at our school to see if concealed carry could be allowed for employees. Every time there is a mass shooting at a school or other "gun free zone", I ask about and advocate for deep concealed carry for willing, experienced, and squared-away staff and faculty. I think you should be a gun owner for a couple of years and practiced in safe gun handling and tactical training before taking this on. I've written and revised a draft policy on concealed carry for employees that gives oversight to the administration. No interest yet from the boss. But I keep trying. The continuing terrorist/active shooter threat is slowly changing minds. The recent result of the presidential election may be a catalyst in changing hearts and minds in this sensitive area.
Im mixed on this view on teacher carry at school.. I have see security and police that were stationed at school for protection after school shooting eventually being used as tool to strong arm kids over even small infractions. We all saw the cop who flipped the girl in her desk. The police / security was used because its easier than a teacher dealing with it. I could see some teachers resorting to pull a weapon with unruly kids. After All, its a highly stressful job and some kids can be a hand full, even able to cause physical harm.

I have no doubt some teachers could and would use their guns only in a case of life and death like a school shooter, but I also have no doubt some would use them as a tool of power and force over the kids that might be disruptive.

Im on the fence on teacher carry.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more