POSTAL MATCHES 3 & 4 -- Details

Talk about anything you like but keep it civil. This is a public forum, the views and opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of the LGC.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Paco
Chatty

POSTAL MATCHES 3 & 4 -- Details

Post by Paco »

Here is a link to all the details for Postal Matches 3 & 4. Below it is a link to an enhanced high-contrast target for use in the pistol match if the targets provided in the outline don't work for you.

There are two matches detailed in the attachment. Match No. 3 is for .22 rifles. (The score sheet has been corrected.)

Match No. 4 is for pistols (rimfire and centerfire). The matches will run at the same time, but the contests are separate. All members are welcome to enter one or both.

The deadline for entries in both matches is midnight on August 17th. Both contests are set at 15 yards, and both take a maximum of one hour to complete.

Edited frequently to add new material. The download count is reset every time the attachments are edited.

As of Aug. 12th, the match instructions have been downloaded almost 200 times.

This is the final weekend to shoot the current postal match. Do it!
Attachments
LGC Postal Matches 3 & 4 SC.pdf
(410.9 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
Very High Contrast Pistol Target.pdf
(2.94 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Last edited by Paco on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 31 times in total.
When you side with a man, you stay with him -- Pike Bishop

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: POSTAL MATCHES 3 & 4 -- Details

Post by CDFingers »

100 rounds of .45LC is pricey, even for reloaders. I shall endeavour to load said rounds.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Major Domo said, "Why don't we give him rope enough to hang himself?
Don't worry 'bout the jury, they'll prolly take care of themselves."

Fukshot
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Fukshot »

CDFingers wrote:100 rounds of .45LC is pricey, even for reloaders. I shall endeavour to load said rounds.

CDFingers
Apparently not pricey enough to inspire you to shoot the match in .38.

Can you even find 100 rounds for your .22 of gnarl.

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

I'm better with my Vaquero, but you bring up a good point, as my GP100 technically is my PD weapon.

Once the Dead Grips are on the GP100, magic may happen.

Luckily I have 102 rounds of .22 just lying around.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Major Domo said, "Why don't we give him rope enough to hang himself?
Don't worry 'bout the jury, they'll prolly take care of themselves."

Paco
Chatty

Post by Paco »

CDFingers wrote:100 rounds of .45LC is pricey, even for reloaders. I shall endeavour to load said rounds.

CDFingers
That was something carefully considered. And of course you're right, CD. It is relatively pricey to shoot 100 rounds of major-caliber ammo. But as Fukshot has already pointed out, if price is an issue at the top of the caliber tree, members can climb down a branch or two and choose to shoot less costly rounds.

Or, as you've opted to do, many can load the necessary rounds. (I don't doubt that those here who own major-caliber pistols often shoot many, many rounds during a range session.)

And I don't think for a moment that anyone (or almost anyone) in this club lacks options when it comes to caliber selection.

If I were shooting this match officially, I'd use target-quality .22s. Just glance at the score ThirstyHersh ran up last time around -- and he shoots almost nothing but .22s. Yes, he uses a superb pistol, but at 15 yards, any good .22 (like a Mark II or III) is capable of far greater accuracy than 99.99% of the world's shooters can achieve.

BTW: Just a reminder -- members are welcome to enter both pistol categories. So anyone here can chew on a major-caliber cake and also eat up some targets with .22s.

Fukshot
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Fukshot »

If you have removable glass, you could theoretically shoot the rifle match twice and the pistol match 4 times with caliber changes.

Paco
Chatty

Post by Paco »

Fukshot wrote:If you have removable glass, you could theoretically shoot the rifle match twice and the pistol match 4 times with caliber changes.
Are we trying to bankrupt poor CD?

Fukshot
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Fukshot »

Paco wrote:
Are we trying to bankrupt poor CD?
Nah. Just pointing out how many opportunities to shoot that the Virginians are letting pass them by.

fknauss
Loquacious

Post by fknauss »

I'm going for all the handicaps I can, to excuse my poor shooting. Iron sights and big calibers, baybee!

(And I'm going to shoot the rifle match with golden bullets! That's the opposite of match ammo!)

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

Simmer down
Site Admin

Post by Simmer down »

I can dust off and oil up my Brooklyn born Henry lever 22. I may need a witness to swear they all went through the same hole, which they sure can with that toy gun. :thumbup:

Why one time I was able to shoot throughthe holes of a dress belt at 100 yards, I tell you what :roll:
Image Image Image
Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

fknauss
Loquacious

Post by fknauss »

Question on Match #4:

Those of us shooting revolvers need to fit our reloads into the 5 minute window, correct?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for a decent shot timer app for android? or suggestions for a decent shot timer, period?

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

Paco
Chatty

Post by Paco »

Simmer down wrote:I can dust off and oil up my Brooklyn born Henry lever 22. I may need a witness to swear they all went through the same hole, which they sure can with that toy gun. :thumbup:

Why one time I was able to shoot throughthe holes of a dress belt at 100 yards, I tell you what :roll:
Why that ain’t nothin. One time I took my old Marlin .22 and I shot 100 rounds through a hole like this in a piece of cheese: O

Course I enlarged the hole a mite with those large .22s. I admit it got to be this big O

I was hungry. I didn't want to waste too much cheese.

Fukshot
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Fukshot »

fknauss wrote:Question on Match #4:

Those of us shooting revolvers need to fit our reloads into the 5 minute window, correct?
Correct on reloads. The hour total for the 100 rounds ought to even us out between revolvers and autos for reload time.

Paco
Chatty

Post by Paco »

Fukshot wrote:
fknauss wrote:Question on Match #4:

Correct on reloads. The hour total for the 100 rounds ought to even us out between revolvers and autos for reload time.
Fukshot's exactly right. Those extra 10 minutes let you refill your speedloaders or strips and change targets while you're not really "on" the target clock. So you won't have to do more than one quick reload per 10-shot string. That should be no problem with a 5-minute span per target.

TheViking
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TheViking »

Just to clarify - are slings allowed for the rifle match?

As for the pistol, I'll handicap myself on time and shoot a single action revolver, no speed loaders here :D At least it makes nice, large, clean holes Image
Image Image

fknauss
Loquacious

Post by fknauss »

Those low contrast targets were almost impossible to see at the range I was at. I made some high contrast ones (attached below).

I like these concentric bullseyes (if you couldn't tell from my regular practice bullseyes). I couldn't shoot for shit today, though. I blame it on doing my one handed weakside practice - boy do I suck at that, and it threw everything else I tried to do off.
Attachments
LGC-PM-4.pdf
(2.94 KiB) Downloaded 309 times

Join!

Fukshot
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Fukshot »

Thanks for the contrast, F. I think the original source also offers them in orange.

Paco
Chatty

BETTER TARGET FOR PISTOL MATCH

Post by Paco »

fknauss wrote:Those low contrast targets were almost impossible to see at the range I was at. I made some high contrast ones.
Many thanks to fnauss for creating a higher contrast target to use in the new pistol match. A link to that target is now in the official details post as well as in a post by fknauss above.

I was concerned about that issue but was able to darken the printouts I tested a bit and thought it would not be a problem.

Mea culpa,

Paco
Chatty

Post by Paco »

TheViking wrote:Just to clarify - are slings allowed for the rifle match?
To paraphrase the "official" rule book, yes, a rifle sling is allowed if used with only one arm. If it employed only in that way it is not considered an external support.

TheViking
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TheViking »

Paco wrote:
TheViking wrote:Just to clarify - are slings allowed for the rifle match?
To paraphrase the "official" rule book, yes, a rifle sling is allowed if used with only one arm. If it employed only in that way it is not considered an external support.
Got it :D
Image Image

shinzen
Site Admin

Post by shinzen »

So question on the rifle Lassen Targets- they only have 4 bulls plus 1 sighter per target- are we adjusting those to do 5 shots per bull instead of 4 to get the same number of rounds per target?
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Paco
Chatty

Post by Paco »

shinzen wrote:So question on the rifle Lassen Targets- they only have 4 bulls plus 1 sighter per target- are we adjusting those to do 5 shots per bull instead of 4 to get the same number of rounds per target?

Exactly.

I apologize for not pointing that out. I was so pleased to find that extra set of free targets that I hastily added the link and forgot to mention the necessary change in the course of fire.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Edited for clarity
Last edited by Paco on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shinzen
Site Admin

Post by shinzen »

Figured that would be how it worked but wanted to check first.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen
Site Admin

Post by shinzen »

Well that was ugly. Shot the rimfire open sights match today. I'll console myself with a beer and tell myself it was because I haven't been shooting regularly like I used to. I also found myself rushing, even though it's actually plenty of time.
- Maya Angelou

fknauss
Loquacious

Post by fknauss »

I did some practice for the pistol match today.

Now all I've got to do is repeat this five times, under pressure:

Bring it!

(More categories is good for you guys, because I'm going to be stubborn in following Fukshot down the iron sights rabbithole...)

Join!