Where were you when the world changed?

I brought out my 300 H&H for a little recoil therapy. I found one box of hand loads I had made that day.

I remember feeling the need to do something besides sit and watch the endless blathering and baseless speculation.

I loaded these for a elk hunt that was happening in a month. I turned on the CD player and listened to Tony Vivaldi tell me about the four seasons.

I suppose if I knew what would happen over the next 15 years I would have felt less certain we would weather the storm.

The elk was tasty by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

Re: Where were you when the world changed?

I walked into the station about 06:30 to relieve the graveyard shift. Everyone was in the lunch room, eyes glued to the TV.

I remember thinking, "So this is what Pearl Harbor felt like."
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

Friend called, woke me up, said plane crashed into the World Trade Center. Then she said oh my god another one. I wasn't really absorbing it. A few minutes later, told my boyfriend we'd better turn on the news. "I think something bad is happening." Then driving to work, listening to the radio, every time the tone played indicating national news breaking in - the horrible feeling of my heart in my throat.

I was working for a Value Added Reseller. I was driving to my first call of the day in Addison, IL at Plunkett Furniture. Howard Stern was on and talking about the first plane. I got to the client just before the second plane hit. No work was done, they closed for the day at 10am CDT. Went back to the office, everyone was there. We were just in shock.

It was weird being around O'Hare with no air traffic for that week.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

I think it was the second week of class, in sixth grade. Being on the West Coast sorta divorced us a bit from the more immediate effects, school went on as normal that day and such. There was a lot of speculation about them smuggling guns onto the plane, I think everyone was sorta baffled when we found out that box cutters were enough. I pretty much expected that liberty would be sacrificed in the name of security, and that we'd probably be going to war (wherever they were based in, revealed later to be Afghanistan). The whole "Iraq" thing still threw me at first, didn't see that happening in 2001, I was under the impression that the last invasions had worked. And I also didn't expect that we'd still be at war in Afghanistan by the time I could enlist.

I was just 2 weeks out of one of my back and spinal surgeries. I was with my 1st daughter, who was 1 year old at the time and my now ex was at work. The first plane and I pooped a VHS intonthe machine. Pressed Record. 4 , 4 hour TDK tapes later I stopped recording.
I still have them. One thing that sticks in my mind is that almost every 20 minutes someone from the White House scream Saddam did it.
To me that kind of said we were going into Iraq no matter who or what caused 911.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

I was in a meeting at work, the CEO of the agency came in and told us what was going on and told us to get back to our clients ASAP. I was working as a mental health clinician and a lot of clients started calling the FBI and saying they did it, they were responsible (not an uncommon reactions in the schizophrenic population). Spent the next month balancing HIPAA regs with men in dark suits and sunglasses bearing warrants and court orders like confetti.

I worked in the airline ground support industry. We are the people who provide the tools for the airlines to lose your luggage. I still work in that industry. The day was the quietest we ever had on the production floor. We all assumed the business would fail. Almost has several times. Actually 2008 meltdown was worse for us.

Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

I was at work. But my wife works for the federal government, and they had people running around securing the facility. Then kicking out all the non-essential personnel. So she picked up the kids from daycare and went home to watch it all day.

Needless to say, they changed the procedures to get into the buildings from that point on. There were armed military personnel everywhere, barricades, and armed vehicles at the gates.
Brian

Yeah, crystal city is right next to the pentagon. Must have been crazy.

I was in my office in Tucson. One of our engineers ran into my office with the news. It was very surreal. I talked to my mom and bro in Jersey and my older daughter in Philly. As I recall, we worked the whole day but the AZ Air National Guard were very active that day.

I worked for a gov agency and got called in for an extra week. It took another week before I could find a rental car to drive back home to Texas since my flight home was through National and that was shutdown. Comms were terrible, landlines and cell were overwhelmed, my only link back home was a Blackberry when they were just big chunky pagers with a tiny keyboard.

A group of us got tired of staying in place that night and we drove to Rosslyn to get dinner (at one of the few places open). The drive down GW Parkway was eerie, it was completely empty except for Humvees and soldiers and soldiers manning rocket launchers around key areas.

I was at home studying for my Cisco network class when my dad called and told me to turn on the TV.Watched the second plane hit.

Was in 6th grade at lunch when JFK was shot and announced that he had died. We got to watch Air Force One flyover our school when it left Carswell AFB in Fort Worth to fly to Dallas Love Field.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I was at work and our new director was ready to show how wonderful he was at a scheduled agency-wide meeting. He had planned to start his new tenure with a full day of fun, song, and games. Multiple attacks and national panic was not going to push his ice breaker games out of the spot light. He didn't last long there.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Inquisitor wrote:Downtown Boston at a client. Walked to Cambridge because people freaked out about more possible attacks on subways.
Fearing the same, me and my co-worker walked 4.5 miles back to his apartment. Last time I never not wore walking shoes or had them within reach of me. I have a pair of Nikes in my desk drawer to this day. Granted, I also have a "get-home bag" that would have never flown as commuter in DC. :whistle:
LGC Texas - Vice President

A day like any other. Got up, showered, ate and got in my car for the short drive to work. Over the car radio came increasingly bad news that was kind of disjointed...exectable in this situation....and it dawned on me that New York and Washington DC were attacked.

On a personal level, my sister and here familiy live in DC and a cousin lived a couple blocks from the Towers. More than a bit of jitters until I found out that all were ok.

Sister took in a whole class of grade school students until the mess was sorted out (the evacuated the schools) and kids and parents were matched up. Brother in law could see, from his office, smoke rising from the Pentagon.
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome

JColville wrote:The world has changed several times since I was born. The song is still the same.
Great great answer. I agree.

For 9/11 I was in California and I had to teach an 8 o'clock class. No one knew what had happened. I told them then we turned on the TV.

For this last November 8, I also had an 8 o'clock class. I waited 'till I was three minutes late, then walked in and at the top of my voice in my best Robin Williams impersonation, I yelled, "Goooood morning USA!"

Neither was a fun day.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack