Re: Fun conversation with anti gun progressive

Inquisitor wrote:
Maccabee wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:I have an opinion. You won't like it.
I'd like to hear it. PM if you don't want to post it.
The only time to take a life is when you or your family are in immediate danger of being killed. With few exemptions.
I agree completely.

My firearms are not for home defense. I have young kids so they (the guns, not kids :rolleyes: ) are locked up tight. We rely on two hounds to sound the alarm. The mere sound of a door handle rattling is enough to set them off. Better than ADT. :D

MaxWyatt wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:
Maccabee wrote:
The only time to take a life is when you or your family are in immediate danger of being killed. With few exemptions.
I agree completely.

My firearms are not for home defense. I have young kids so they (the guns, not kids :rolleyes: ) are locked up tight. We rely on two hounds to sound the alarm. The mere sound of a door handle rattling is enough to set them off. Better than ADT. :D
What isn't? ADT may have been the worst designed and functioning alarm system I've ever seen. All suit and no briefcase. Designed to make them money, and increase sales, but not to protect your home. Always had far, FAR better luck with locally owned alarm companies. Sensible install and programming, personal service. ADT was all manure and no rose bushes.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

The SOP in my house is to hold the stairs.

I have a Black Friday TV in the living room and all the other stuff are bedding or regular household goods. In other words, I would rather have my homeowners policy reimburse me than to have to waste hours at the police station.

Trying to breach the stairs while I chuck down OC (pepper spray) fogger grenades usually means they want something more than a TV.

LGBTGunner wrote:The SOP in my house is to hold the stairs.

I have a Black Friday TV in the living room and all the other stuff are bedding or regular household goods. In other words, I would rather have my homeowners policy reimburse me than to have to waste hours at the police station.

Trying to breach the stairs while I chuck down OC (pepper spray) fogger grenades usually means they want something more than a TV.
It would also show a disturbing level of enthusiasm on your assailants part.

MaxWyatt wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:
Maccabee wrote:
I agree completely.

Same. Except with cats. ;)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

My guns are primarily for hunting and target practice . I put a few mods into one pistol to make it more accurate. I carry just in case I drive past a range and feel the need to practice. In all likelihood , the only things I will ever shoot at are paper targets and small game. But if my home is broken into, one of my target pistols, probably the one on my belt, will do just fine for defense. I really hope it never happens.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

I'd be perfectly willing to shoot someone if I felt threatened, and I'm pretty confident that I would shoot, because I've had to draw a gun on someone before and at that time I didn't hesitate or double think it, though thankfully the guy backed down and ran off without me having to fire. But as in that previous situation, I'm quite to content to let someone run off. I'm not going to shoot anyone in the back even if they have something important of mine, though I might give chase and scream for a little bit in the hopes of scaring the guy into dropping whatever he stole. That would really depend on what he's got. TV? Let him have it. Computer? That's got so much important information on it that I'd want it back badly.

Knock on wood and hope this stays a theoretical discussion.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

inomaha wrote:Who grabs an 1885 winchester to shoot an intruder? If their mind goes straight to killing someone else, the problem is on them. I wonder if they think the same thing if they see an axe and shovel? You going to cut up a body and bury it with those.

People who go straight to the dark side of life scare me.
Grant Cunningham teaches classes on using lever action rifles for home defense. I'd say that a .44 Magnum loaded with .44 Special rounds would work peachy. ;)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

featureless wrote:
This. Shit downstairs is "free" for the taking. The kiddo and wife are upstairs with me. You can't have them.
Not an option in my house. Downstairs is the bedroom of my 77 year old mother. If someone breaks into the house, I've got to arm myself and go downstairs to make sure she's OK.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote:
featureless wrote:
This. Shit downstairs is "free" for the taking. The kiddo and wife are upstairs with me. You can't have them.
Not an option in my house. Downstairs is the bedroom of my 77 year old mother. If someone breaks into the house, I've got to arm myself and go downstairs to make sure she's OK.

Different strokes, same approach!

it's been my experience that you never know for sure how you're going to react until you're there in it, and you may respond very differently the next time you find yourself in a similar situation.
so.
would i kill to defend my property? maybe. would any of us? same answer. are you, mr. burglar, willing to take that risk? if so, maybe today is your day to die.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I always figure if they know someone's home and they break in anyway, they are not a burglar, they are, at a minimum, a robber (there's a difference), or, more likely, a home invader. And if they hear dogs in the house, too, maybe see big dogs through the windows, and STILL come in, you gotta figure they are happy to harm your dogs, your family, and you.

I may be a Progressive, but I've NEVER seen why someone breaking into your home, or your car, has any rights at all vis a vis his/her victim. Rights are about what the GOVERNMENT cannot do to the accused after the crime has been committed, not about stopping them during the commission of said crime.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."