Emboldened Virginia Democrats to push gun prohibition

With new clout, Virginia Democrats to push for gun control
With the Democrats gaining clout, the group said, it expects a push for legislation in Virginia to implement universal background checks, ban assault weapons and restrict handgun purchases. The Defense League has urged members to reach out to non-gun owners to boost ownership and take off work for a lobbying day in January.
In November, “voters proved that they were willing to vote on the issue of gun safety ... Make no mistake: Heading into the 2018 midterm elections, the momentum is on the side of the gun violence prevention movement,” said one gun control group, Moms Demand Action, in a statement.
Exit polling from Nov. 7 shows gun legislation was near the top of Virginia voters’ minds. In polling conducted for The Washington Post and other media organizations, voters ranked gun policy second only to health care out of five issues they said matter most in decided how they voted in the governor’s race. Among the 17 percent of voters who said gun policy mattered most, 49 percent said they voted for Northam, who has an F rating from the NRA, and 49 for Gillespie, who has an A rating. The poll’s overall margin of error was plus or minus four percentage points.
It makes sense Virginia, given its proximity to D.C., will fall.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Re: Emboldened Virginia Democrats to push gun prohibition

Look at the specific proposals in the article:
1) A 2nd conviction for domestic abuse becomes a felony, rendering one ineligible for gun ownership.
2) In-person training required to obtain a concealed weapon permit.
3) Outlawing bump-stocks.
4) Universal background checks.
5) Assault Weapons ban.

Other than #5, I think 1-4 are not just acceptable but something I can fully support 100%.
But if #5 means semi-automatic rifles, like AR-15s and AR-10s, I am totally opposed to it. If it refers to fully automatic weapons, semi-automatic shotguns, "street-sweepers", then I don't have a problem with that either. Northam is an army vet so he should be able to define EXPLICITLY what he means by "assault weapon" so it can be either opposed or accepted.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote:Look at the specific proposals in the article:
1) A 2nd conviction for domestic abuse becomes a felony, rendering one ineligible for gun ownership.
5) Assault Weapons ban.

Other than #5, I think 1-4 are not just acceptable but something I can fully support 100%.
But if #5 means semi-automatic rifles, like AR-15s and AR-10s,...
It undoubtedly _includes_ those rifles. As a political term, "assault weapon" is intentionally vague, but the huge, nebulous bucket of firearms it encompasses has universally included semi-automatic carbines that are black and scary.
YankeeTarheel wrote:If it refers to fully automatic weapons, semi-automatic shotguns, "street-sweepers", then I don't have a problem with that either.
Automatic weapons and the SWD Streetsweeper are already so tightly regulated under the NFA of 1934 they are statistically irrelevant, but I'm sure any "assault weapon" ban supported by Democrats would include those, too.

What is the problem with semi-automatic shotguns? Can you make the case as to why all those here who own semi-automatic shotguns should have to give them up?
YankeeTarheel wrote:Northam is an army vet so he should be able to define EXPLICITLY what he means by "assault weapon" so it can be either opposed or accepted.
I would not count on that. Massachusetts has one of those--Seth Moulton--who has no problem both making "assault weapon" unclear and calling for bans on semi-automatic carbines. He says you don't need one. The appeal to authority fallacy is alive and well. Moulton toes the party line and supports party gun prohibition bullet points just like his fellow Democratic representatives who are not veterans. The whole point of "assault weapon" is to be vague, so other firearms can be banned procedurally--without having to involve legislators--later by being declared "assault weapons."
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

YankeeTarheel wrote:Look at the specific proposals in the article:
5) Assault Weapons ban.

But if #5 means semi-automatic rifles, like AR-15s and AR-10s, I am totally opposed to it. If it refers to fully automatic weapons, semi-automatic shotguns, "street-sweepers", then I don't have a problem with that either. Northam is an army vet so he should be able to define EXPLICITLY what he means by "assault weapon" so it can be either opposed or accepted.
The fully automatic weapons are already heavily controlled by the ATF.

You want to outlaw the Semi-Automatic Shotgun like the Remington 1100 that has been around since 1963.

Outlaw Street-Sweepers, those big trucks with the revolving brushes? I know they are noisy and due cause some dirt and dust to fly but the do help keep the streets looking a little better. Or are you referring to a short barrel shotgun? If so the SBS is also heavily regulated requiring a Tax Stamp. If your referring to firearms like the Mossberg 590 Shockwave, which I happen to own one, they are legal by the ATF and they would not sweep the street anymore than a regular pump shotgun.

If you want them outlawed then I would look at outlawing the AR-15 pistols at the same time, cause they serve the same function for self or home defense. Like the Shockwave, they should not be allowed to be carried concealed.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

YankeeTarheel wrote:
NattyBumpo wrote:
semi-automatic shotguns
Quick way to lose a lot of bird and waterfowl hunters.
Really? I thought they all used double-barrel shotguns.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... er-x3.html
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... er-x4.html
https://www.remington.com/shotguns/autoloading
http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/930/
http://www.weatherby.com/products/shotg ... -auto.html
http://www.weatherby.com/products/shotg ... ading.html
And many more.
YankeeTarheel wrote:I believe semi-auto shotguns are illegal here in NJ, but pump-action and double-barrels are not.
You're the expert, but that would seem to conflict with N.J.S.A 2C:39-1(y)[3][4]
(Banned)
(3)A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a pistol grip, or a folding stock.
(4)A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds.
That being said conflicting gun laws are a mainstay of the political class.
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

When negotiating, you always start by offering less or demanding more than you expect. Gun owners should counter offer that the state issue ARs to all CCW carriers as they are part of the militia, and that an ammo ration be issued monthly. Guns required to be in all homes, unless a doctor or minister writes an excuse, like "bone spurs". The anti gunners always seem to win, even when they back off all their demands. Death by a 1000 cuts.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

well that's just wonderful for the va dem party operatives but every time they push for any variety of gun control expansion they augment the reps position on the national level. pushing for their little local thing sacrifices the palatability of the party on the national stage. why do party operatives not understand this? or do they, and they do it anyway? they pick this fight knowing it's a losing battle.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

dougb wrote:When negotiating, you always start by offering less or demanding more than you expect. Gun owners should counter offer that the state issue ARs to all CCW carriers as they are part of the militia, and that an ammo ration be issued monthly. Guns required to be in all homes, unless a doctor or minister writes an excuse, like "bone spurs". The anti gunners always seem to win, even when they back off all their demands. Death by a 1000 cuts.
This brings up the obvious point negotiation was never intended to be part of the equation. The Virginia Democrats' gun restriction wish list was revealed without anything having been proposed to offer in return. Thus I would dismiss it in its entirety as yet another bad-faith proposal in the gun prohibition non-debate.
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

lurker wrote:well that's just wonderful for the va dem party operatives but every time they push for any variety of gun control expansion they augment the reps position on the national level. pushing for their little local thing sacrifices the palatability of the party on the national stage. why do party operatives not understand this? or do they, and they do it anyway? they pick this fight knowing it's a losing battle.
They're state pols, and exit polling allegedly showed gun prohibition was a winner in Virginia.
Exit polling from Nov. 7 shows gun legislation was near the top of Virginia voters’ minds. In polling conducted for The Washington Post and other media organizations, voters ranked gun policy second only to health care out of five issues they said matter most in decided how they voted in the governor’s race. Among the 17 percent of voters who said gun policy mattered most, 49 percent said they voted for Northam, who has an F rating from the NRA, and 49 for Gillespie, who has an A rating. The poll’s overall margin of error was plus or minus four percentage points.
Northam didn't win despite having that F rating but rather because of it. Virginia will be like Maryland and D.C. in a few years. It will be interesting to see if North Carolina falls before New Hampshire does.
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Isn't a single DV conviction already a disqualifying event even if misdemeanor? What am I missing? Possession vs. purchase?

I don't know what VA requires, but it's not a constitutional carry state so some training is required.
YankeeTarheel wrote:
NattyBumpo wrote:
semi-automatic shotguns
Quick way to lose a lot of bird and waterfowl hunters.
Really? I thought they all used double-barrel shotguns. I believe semi-auto shotguns are illegal here in NJ, but pump-action and double-barrels are not.
Not the ones I know. Double barrels are at least 3x the price of a pump in most cases, and usually more than semis. Serious hunters might use fancy shmancy over unders.

Northam: Gun Control, Medicaid Among Priorities for 2018
Democratic Gov.-elect Ralph Northam said Tuesday that expanding Medicaid in Virginia and implementing universal background checks for gun buyers will be two of his top legislative priorities after he takes office this weekend.
"It is nonpartisan. It is commonsense,'' Northam said of the package of bills. "It is something that I think...will have support from both sides of the aisle."
Northam, a pediatric neurologist and former Army doctor, campaigned heavily on gun control and Medicaid expansion. The November election results show Virginians support the proposals outlined Tuesday, he said.
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Where does it say gun prohibition in the article? I couldn’t find it.

Am I wrong to think that universal background checks is reasonable regulation for weapons buyers?

Published at 12:04 PM EST on Jan 9, 2018 | Updated at 12:20 PM EST on Jan 9, 2018
Democratic Gov.-elect Ralph Northam said Tuesday that expanding Medicaid in Virginia and implementing universal background checks for gun buyers will be two of his top legislative priorities after he takes office this weekend.

Northam spoke with outgoing Gov. Terry McAuliffe at a press conference Tuesday, one day before the start of this year's General Assembly session. The two laid out a joint legislative package they said they had worked on together.

"It is nonpartisan. It is commonsense,'' Northam said of the package of bills. "It is something that I think...will have support from both sides of the aisle."

McAuliffe has pushed unsuccessfully for four years to expand Medicaid, a key component of former President Barack Obama's health care law. The GOP-controlled General Assembly has opposed it, calling it fiscally irresponsible.

Under the Affordable Care Act, the federal government picks up almost all of the cost, gradually phasing down to a 90 percent share.

Democrats in the legislature have also previously pushed unsuccessfully for universal background checks, including mandatory checks at gun shows.

Northam, a pediatric neurologist and former Army doctor, campaigned heavily on gun control and Medicaid expansion. The November election results show Virginians support the proposals outlined Tuesday, he said.

The 60-day legislative session begins Wednesday. Lawmakers will be tasked with passing the biennial state budget in additional to tackling other issues.

Northam and McAuliffe - who did most of the talking at the press conference -also called for expanding absentee voting and said they would propose legislation to increase the threshold for what's considered felony larceny from $200 to $1,000.

A similar effort to raise the threshold failed last year.

They are also calling for a ban on the personal use of campaign funds.

Federal law and the laws in most other states have campaign contribution limits and prohibitions on lawmakers spending campaign funds for personal use, but Virginia's campaign finance system is largely unregulated. Lawmakers can accept donations of any size and spend the money on anything they want, including themselves.

Republicans hold a slim majority in the Senate and, unless Democratic challenges in two extremely close races result in a last-minute change, they'll also control the House.

Spokesmen for the House and Senate GOP caucuses didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.

GOP leaders in both chambers have previously suggested a willingness to expand health care coverage but have said it likely won't come in the form Democrats are calling for.

Copyright Associated Press

methodmissing wrote:Where does it say gun prohibition in the article? I couldn’t find it.
The thread title was in reference to the link in the OP, whereas you have quoted an article from post #14. The title persists for each post in the thread unless manually changed. That being said, Northam is going to try to prohibit private sales without government involvement, so prohibition applies to the article you quoted. Also, once Northam gets that prohibition, he will sign more prohibitions into law if given the opportunity.
methodmissing wrote:Am I wrong to think that universal background checks is reasonable regulation for weapons buyers?
You lost me at one group's idea of "reasonable" as applied to law and imposed on others, but I am sure plenty of people here would agree with you.
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

lurker wrote:well that's just wonderful for the va dem party operatives but every time they push for any variety of gun control expansion they augment the reps position on the national level. pushing for their little local thing sacrifices the palatability of the party on the national stage. why do party operatives not understand this? or do they, and they do it anyway? they pick this fight knowing it's a losing battle.
Here in Georgia, we have a progressive state representative from Metro Atlanta who has been filing an "assault weapon" ban for at least the last two sessions. There is no grandfather clause and no buy back, just prohibition of sale or possession. Last year it was tabled without action in committee. This year it was co-sponsored by another metro Atlanta progressive who is widely see as the likely Democratic candidate for governor this fall. Absolutely nothing but playing to the base. Demographics are slowly changing here and Trump barely cracked 50% of the vote, but the Dems have no hope of regaining power here anytime soon without winning back white moderates. This sort of stuff is completely self defeating.
Member, LGC

Bad idea.

It will allow the GOP to distract their base from the horrible job they are doing in DC and stoke them up to vote out the gun grabbers when the next election cycle comes around.

There are so many more important issues...the environment, income inequality, education, voting rights, the upcoming census and redistricting to name a few.

If they choose to push anti-gun legislation first, they can kiss the rest of their agenda goodbye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gun control bills die in Virginia House subcommittee
RICHMOND, Va. – A House subcommittee shot down multiple gun control bills Thursday despite a tear-filled statement from a survivor of last fall’s Las Vegas shooting who urged legislators to ban bump stocks.
HB41.
The subcommittee also heard from supporters of HB 602, which would have required people applying for concealed carry permits to demonstrate competence with a gun in person. Applicants can currently complete National Rifle Association or state-certified online courses.
The subcommittee also rejected HB 596 and HB 927, which would have prohibited the sale or transfer of certain magazines and firearms. Del. Betsy Carr, D-Richmond, said she introduced the bill because her constituents were concerned by the abundance of gun violence in their communities.
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... l&val=hb41
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... +sum+HB602
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... +sum+HB596
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... +sum+HB927

Gun prohibitionists will be back with more. They never stop, and the new governor is keen to ban things.
Virginia governor-elect Northam will propose AWB, mag ban

HB602 wrote:Concealed handgun permits; demonstration of competence. Removes the option for concealed handgun permit applicants to demonstrate competence with a handgun by completing an electronic, video, or online course conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor. The bill does not affect any in-person means of satisfying the requirement to demonstrate competence with a handgun under current law.
I think it is reasonable to have to complete a course of fire to demonstrate competence. How does watching a video accomplish that? But it's bullshit that the NRA gets a pass on instructor certification.

In order to comply with the bill of rights, the state ought to offer free firearms courses to every citizen of age through law enforcement agencies. Limit one free course per person, and if they complete the course and pass the background check, issue them a firearm. Limit one firearm per citizen.

I noticed all the talk here about semi-auto shotguns and waterfowlers and bird hunters. Here in Arizona with some of the loosest gun laws in the nation you still must have a plug in your magazine tube of any auto loader or pump shotgun limiting your shells to 2 in the tube and 1 in the chamber no matter where in the state you hunt for migratory birds or waterfowl. For upland bird hunting you may remove the plug however if you are out hunting upland birds during migratory or waterfowl season you could get yourself in some trouble without a plug.

Contrary to popular belief there is water in Arizona and waterfowl.