My first year as a concealed carrier ....

Hello gang. It's been a year since I last posted here. Sorry about that. I've been in the first leg of my journey as a "gun guy".

Last spring I got my concealed pistol license and bought a Shield 9mm. Took a class (which was not required) and joined the NRA ... :o .... When my wife found out about my NRA membership, she went through the roof. :whistle: A year later, now I see why.

The concealed pistol license allowed me to go into Cabela's (& other stores) and walk out with about 9 hand guns. It became a "thrill of the hunt" sort of thing. I traded in 6 of them ... Lost lots of money. Incurred lots of credit card debt. :thumbsdown:

I have three guns, which I have decided to keep, and not buy any more guns (for now). I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 9c, which is my carry gun, an M&P Shield .45 Performance Center, and a Ruger SP 101 2.25" barrel (big snubby) in .357.

Tons of holsters later. .. 2 range memberships ..... Some gun vaults mounted here and there.

Resigned my NRA membership this past Saturday.

Here I am. I think I've calmed the heck down ... I've got a system down for my carry methods ...an SOP of sorts. Lots of gun blog reading. Self defense mindset.

Re: My first year as a concealed carrier ....

It's been about a year for me too. Started out with a Ruger American Pistol 9mm, and then switched to a Walther PK380 when I realized just how heavy the Ruger is. Only recently found a holster that I like, but I don't wear it normal - I just keep it in my purse and use the holster to protect the trigger and hold a spare magazine.

Sounds like you've had a lot more fun trying and buying pistols, though.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

ba1970 wrote:Hello gang. It's been a year since I last posted here. Sorry about that. I've been in the first leg of my journey as a "gun guy".
Glad to hear from you again. And while you are, of course, free to post whenever you want, I invite you to post more often. From your post I feel you are an excellent writer. Perhaps you could share some of your journey, like what guns you sold and why, what holsters did you quit using, and are you planning to dive into shotguns, AR-15 style rifles, mil-surp, and/or 22 cal rifles, etc etc.
Thanks again for posting again. Hope to hear more from you soon.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hi, Hiker. I will not purchase any additional firearms at this time. There are several reasons for this. First, and foremost, money. Not enough of it. More debt than cash. Get my drift? Second, if I were to bring an AR15-style rifle into the house, I'd have a lot of explaining to do to the Mrs, aka Household Six. I don't need that type of heat at home. Lastly, I have no desire to get any kind of long gun (rifle, shot gun) as they are not conducive to a proper self defense program in my home. There's just no room for me to tactically maneuver with one of those. Handgun is just fine for now. I have rehearsed various scenarios with an unloaded .45 with mounted light/laser for theoretical night time assaults on the house by Johnny Meth.

Holsters:

Current carry is a Vedder Light tuck with the claw. I use it for my Smith & Wesson M&P 9c. I have several other holsters for that gun that I either alternate with, or use specifically for storage. Magnets and metal belt clips work great together when staging the holstered weapon in a "special place".

I have kydex and leather holsters. There are lots of small businesses on social media, such as Instagram and Facebook, who custom make holsters of all kinds.
Last edited by ba1970 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why does any sane person need more than one gun? I just don't get it. 🤷‍♀️ You may say it's for hunting🍖 or self defense👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 but it's not as if you have more than one set of hands to hold onto a gun with. You're not Rambo who can fire a gun in each hand🙅. So why own a dozen guns? It's just lunacy🤦‍♀️ and trouble waiting to happen. We have the police for our collective self defense👮🏻 so unless you live in a place like Montana🐴 or Canada🇨🇦 you really don't need guns at all. Rent the darn things when you want to play "hunter"😾 in the wilderness, away from civilization 🚷🚯🚳🚱🔞📵🚭🚫 where you'll have no chance of hurting our children🚸 while killing defenseless animals for your cruel enjoyment. 🐰

There. I said it. Now I'm able to enjoy my spinach mushroom quiche overlooking beautiful Monterey Bay (did you see the selfie I just FB?) knowing I did my part. I love otters. (There are no emojis for otters or quiche(s). Someone should really get on that, Inquisitor. For the next upgrade?)
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

We're talking quiche here, not some barbarian with guns!

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿’̿̿’̿\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͡ °_̯͡° )=ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Hello folks .... I am back again. Just saying hello. I haven't bought a gun in a year or so. I have 2 Glocks; a 43x and a 19 Gen 4. I have decided not to buy anything for now since:

A) the stores have been looted, so to speak, of their ammo and gun inventory during the apocalypse, and;

B) I have no need or desire to buy any pieces.

My local Walmart decided to stop selling ammo about a year ago, so I went in and bought up about a thousand rounds of 115 grain FMJ for the range. Still have about two thirds of it.

I have also been going to my local indoor range about once every 6 months. Shooting is still good. Still conceal carry most of the time. Got a gun vault in the car (hidden from view). I hope that all of you are fine.

Yes, I got vaccinated.

Vaccinated concealed carrier here ...

Be well folks.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

I got my first permit to carry in 1994.

So I'm headed for 30 years of carry.

I carry Glock 19s primarily.......I do have a Glock 30 (two actually, I usually buy guns in twos) for heavier work.

For hot weather if I feel the need to go really light, I have a Smith Model 60 Three-inch and a couple of Model 36 Three-inch for spares.

No, I don't carry them all at once.........although I have been known to carry two of the little J-frames sometimes. Ten shots total with no delay for a reload.

I have a barrel of holsters........you will too after 27 plus years.

I've never had to pull a gun in self defense........but I'm staying alert.

You just never know when it could happen.