Re: Gov. Murphy signs New Jersey Democrats' gun prohibition bills into law

Update on ANJRPC’s lawsuit against New Jersey's mag ban, A2761:
https://www.anjrpc.org/page/NJUSGunBanGroups
The State of New Jersey was first to oppose the injunction motion, arguing among other things that the newly banned magazines are “dangerous and unusual weapons” not protected by the Second Amendment, which pose a danger to the public even in the hands of law-abiding citizens. The State also argues that the banned magazines are not needed for self-defense, but are “perfectly suited for illicit use.”

“Claiming that banned magazines are not needed for self-defense while simultaneously exempting their use for the protection of lawmakers is outrageous and the height of hypocrisy,” said ANJRPC Executive Director Scott Bach. “This elitist double standard is irrational, indefensible, and shows the utter contempt New Jersey has for its ‘subjects,’” said Bach.

Piling onto the State’s papers, the Giffords Law Center and Everytown For Gun Safety filed their own opposition to the injunction motion, arguing among other things that standard capacity magazines are best suited for military use, that NJ’s prior regulation of magazine capacity for several decades makes the new ban presumptively valid, and that the ban will make mass shooting incidents “less lethal.”

While Bach's statement is loaded with buzzwords, his point is well-taken.
I "get" that outlawing 100 round drum mags and 30 round straight mags down to 10 or 15 rounds CAN make a difference. But as a NJ resident who's gone and purchased 10 round mags ahead of the law, and is debating whether to modify or ship out my formerly-compliant 15 round mags, I find the difference in crime and gun death reduction to not be statistically supported by such a move. We already had both a 15 round limit and one of the lowest gun-death rates in the nation--well among the top 10.

And Bach's point that if LEOs need 15 round capability routinely, and not just in special S.W.A.T. type situations, why is 10 rounds OK for self-defense but 15 not?

While the injunction may be granted, I see little path to over-turning this particular law and, like my fellow Jerseyans, I'll be stuck with it and just have to cope. For now, until the law changes.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Oops! Pro-gun control N.J. lawmakers look to fix high-capacity magazine ban that also includes cops
But the measure, which made possession of larger magazines a crime, with a few exceptions, had unintended consequences for police officers in the Garden State.

Now lawmakers are looking to clean up the problem, and the state Senate is slated Thursday to vote on a bill that would clarify how the high-capacity magazine ban applies to law enforcement.

State Sen. Loretta Weinberg, D-Bergen, a sponsor of the measure, said it was meant to "correct an oversight" that may have prohibited some police officers from carrying their service weapons while off duty.
In New York they did the same thing by passing the SAFE Act very rapidly. The special class was not pleased to be treated like the little people.

New Jersey 10-Round Ammo Limit Passes First Court Hurdle
Turning down a bid for injunctive relief, U.S. District Judge Peter Sheridan concluded that the new law is “reasonably tailored” to curtail mass shootings and “passes constitutional muster.”

Enacted just this past June, the law known as Act A2761 redefines large-capacity gun magazines, which are illegal in the state.

Whereas the old law criminalized magazines holding more than 15 rounds, the new statute includes any firearm that holds more than 10 rounds of ammo. The law includes a 180-day grace period, set to end in December, for gun owners to turn in illegal magazines or permanently modify their magazines to hold fewer rounds.

One year, eight new gun-control laws in New Jersey
In June, Murphy signed six bills that strengthened gun-control laws further, approving several restrictive measures being pushed by advocates nationally. And in October, the Democrat announced another package of bills he asked the legislature to address next year regarding gun trafficking, investing in smart-gun technology, regulating ammunition sales by requiring ID from customers and reports from retailers, and establishing grants for violence-intervention programs.
New Jersey may be at the top of that list again in 2019; Murphy's administration hopes the package of ideas he touted in October will be taken up by the legislature.

"We're here to close a dangerous loophole in our gun laws," Murphy said at the Nov. 9 news conference. "Together we will win this battle. It may be one step at a time, one common-sense law at a time, but we will win it."

New Jersey may enforce a new law that lowered the number of bullets that guns can hold, a divided federal appeals court ruled on Wednesday.

The 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia upheld a lower court’s refusal to temporarily enjoin the law, which was passed in June and reduced maximum magazine capacity to 10 rounds from a 15-round limit adopted in 1990.

Gun rights advocates including the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs argued that the law would make it harder for homeowners to defend themselves, and might do little for gun violence because criminals would ignore it.

But the court said the law did not violate gun owners’ Second Amendment rights or amount to an unconstitutional taking.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-new- ... SKBN1O42M6

Well, that's a drag. And I'm in California. Rats.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Special class authoritarian whines:
https://twitter.com/BernardKerik/status ... 5102367744
Bernard B. Kerik
Verified account
@BernardKerik
NJ Governor @GovMurphy is endangering the life of every off duty NJ cop! Gang bangers, drug thugs and really bad guys don't give a damn about magazine capacity... So he takes the good guy's ammunition, and the bad guys are loaded for bear! @FoxNews @CNN @newsmax @DLoesch @ABC
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuZqh_HXgAAWKSJ.jpg

From Lott's group. Not verified:
Four months after ban on large capacity magazines in New Jersey went into effect zero magazines have been turned into police
Because of a U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit December 5th, 2019 ruling, New Jersey’s ban on gun magazines that hold more than 10 rounds took effect on December 10. By that date, all owners of heretofore legal “large capacity magazines” (LCMs) were required to surrender them to police, render them inoperable, modify them so they cannot hold more than 10 rounds, or sell them to authorized owners. Those who failed to do so are guilty of a fourth-degree felony, punishable by a maximum fine of $10,000 and up to 18 months in prison.

Yet, despite New Jersey having 1.1 million gun owners and millions of magazines that are able to hold more than 10 bullets, by April 4th zero magazines had been turned over to the police.
ETA:
https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.anjrpc.org/re ... g_ban-.pdf
BEWARE – MAGAZINES PAIRED WITH NON-SEMI-AUTO’S: Magazines holding over ten rounds that
are paired with non-semi-auto firearms but which also function in semi-auto firearms are not excepted from the new
law. Example: Ruger 10/22 magazines holding over 10 rounds that also function in Ruger bolt action .22’s.

THE PENALTY FOR VIOLATING THE NEW LAW: It is a NJ 4th degree crime to be in possession of
magazines in excess of 10 rounds, unless the magazine is excepted (see “Excepted Magazines” above) or the person is
excepted (see “Excepted Persons” above). The maximum prison sentence is 18 months in prison and the maximum
fine is $10,000, per magazine. A conviction also results in the loss of gun rights nationwide. This is a felony-equivalent
offense.

featureless wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:42 pm
DispositionMatrix wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:57 pm Special class authoritarian whines:
Yup. I'm not sure why LEOs think they are a special class, especially off duty or retired. You and I pay their wages, healthcare and pensions.
Remember which animal changed the rule to "All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others."
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:14 pm
featureless wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:42 pm
DispositionMatrix wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:57 pm Special class authoritarian whines:
Yup. I'm not sure why LEOs think they are a special class, especially off duty or retired. You and I pay their wages, healthcare and pensions.
Remember which animal changed the rule to "All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others."
You're having to much fun with that quote today. ;)

A: I'm not defending this law. It's stupid, ineffective and cost me, personally, several hundred bucks.
B: The law is about magazines that fit into semi-auto firearms. It's clear from my reading that using such banned mags in a non-semi was still clearly a violation.
C: We did have a 6 month grace period.
D: There's a typo: The court decision was 2018, not 2019.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."