Urban jungle pigs

So after a discussion in which someone bemoaned the fact that farmers want hunters to pay to hunt feral pigs on their land, I got to wondering what might happen if we get them around here and the urban sprawl gets bad enough that people start complaining about those horrible hunters with their loud toys disturbing what they think the country is supposed to be like. So -yeah.

https://fishgame.com/2017/11/urban-fera ... wing-huge/

We have “professional” hunters cull deer in Ann Arbor etc. and the residents bitch up a storm (I’m not sure if it’s the whole urban we hate guns thing or because deer are cute). But I’m thinking packs of carnivorous (ok omnivorous but they’d totally eat you) giant feral hogs might change their minds about whether anyone “needs” a gun. Lol

Anyone here actually have this problem in their nearby city?

Re: Urban jungle pigs

In The Bahamas, there are two kinds of wild pigs:

First, there are the "cute" swimming piggies that people go to see, feed, and swim with (Yech! They shit in the water and stink--they are pigs, after all!) But the videos of them are endearing.

Second, the wild pigs that get hunted. Idiots start brush and forest fires to drive them. When down there, I've helped fight a few of those fires--scary as shit.
"Nippers", the famous (over-rated) restaurant / pub on Guano Cay has a Sunday "Wild Boar Roast". Celeb watching is supposed to be big there. Big whoop.

I've not seen the wild pigs but have been warned that they are EXTREMELY dangerous.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

A big problem in the south and west and with climate change they'll be heading north.
https://gizmodo.com/wild-pigs-are-takin ... 1791931784

They carry the pseudorabies virus which domestic animals can catch and as soon as Brutus and FeFe start dying off along with other mammals, it may change attitudes. NIMBY
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfoc ... eudorabies
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

This creates a huge dilemma for vegetarian I-don't-kill-animals folks like me. As someone who dreams of having a cabin in the woods, the thought of facing down one of these behemoths while it is completely destroying my garden is quite frightening. It's one thing to live capture a possum raiding the hen house. It's another to catch something like mean boar.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Sometimes I feel like I could totally clean kill a pig w my bolt-gun and gut it for roasting. Other times I feel like a peace-nick vegetarian who'd live and let live because we don't "need" to kill. Depends on the planets' rotation I guess. But I always like the fact that I have the abilities necessary to choose to either.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

If urban pigs ever do become a problem it will be left to the animal control people working for the local government, and I think that's the way it should be. I certainly wouldn't want general hunting in a heavily populated area - too much risk involved.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:13 pm If urban pigs ever do become a problem it will be left to the animal control people working for the local government, and I think that's the way it should be. I certainly wouldn't want general hunting in a heavily populated area - too much risk involved.
If the .gov hired gang members to help... :hmmm:

In Montgomery Country a few years ago, there was a hearing I was attending for unrelated reasons and there was a discussion about (sub)urban deer hunting. Most of the people there were in favor of it and there was one woman opposed to it because of one single slob hunter. I think the program ended up getting expanded. I believe in Fairfax County, there are a few very well trained private hunters who are accredited by the country to manage the deer population.

Urban Jungle Pigs.

Get down! :happy2:
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I think it depends on your state. We have coyotes and deer, but I haven't heard of a problem with urban feral hogs. I doubt the hogs would make it all the way into Atlanta without being shot and eaten. Just a guess.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Bisbee wrote:Sometimes I feel like I could totally clean kill a pig w my bolt-gun and gut it for roasting. Other times I feel like a peace-nick vegetarian who'd live and let live because we don't "need" to kill. Depends on the planets' rotation I guess. But I always like the fact that I have the abilities necessary to choose to either.
If a feral pig (or 2 or 3) found your garden I venture to say your feelings would crystallize pretty quickly...

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

You mean start a pig farm?

Actually, they were. Farm animals that's gone wild... \
Get it? "Hog" wild?
:w00t:

https://fishgame.com/2018/01/tx-tops-ho ... ades-home/
“In one instance, a boar attacked a woman on a Fort Worth jogging trail. Two years ago, a Cherokee County deer hunter died from a feral hog attack.”
The Benton County Daily Record chronicled a wild boar that, “attacked and flipped a utility vehicle on a job site in Waco… and severely injured a Gentry man.”

The story details that, “Greg Lemke, who designs chicken houses for Latco Inc. of Lincoln, was a passenger in a utility vehicle when the wild boar struck the rear of the vehicle, causing it to flip with Lemke inside.”

“The accident left Lemke paralyzed from the breast bone down.”
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas/2 ... rities-say
Alt: https://web.archive.org/web/20180902172 ... rities-say
Feral hog caused crash that killed 3 people in South Texas on Christmas Day, authorities say

Here's a map if you wanna go huntin'! Image too large to post here.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_dam ... county.jpg

The study’s model observes the pigs’ range moving around 8 miles northwards each year, implying that almost every county in the continental United States will have a feral pig problem in the next 30 to 50 years—that is, unless the spread is controlled by killing the pigs.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mankato has an urban deer problem. There are several large wildlife areas in the city limits. Bow hunters enter a drawing for permits, there is a competency test and an explanation of rules. It works. I am sure there are complaints, but the range will only support so many deer and apartments keep springing up where the deer live and feed. And deer do love urban gardens.

http://archive.jsonline.com/business/fa ... 8571.html/
They've been called Asian carp with legs, and hunters are told to shoot them any time.

But some farmers say wildlife regulators have gone too far in banning certain pigs from farms because they might escape into the wild and cause ecological
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

I see deer everywhere here in exurbia. I see deer in the city and suburbs here, too. I love that. It was their land until humans kept moving out into the pastures (many of those are long gone). I just wish the deer would stay off the roads or learn to fear cars. We can learn to protect our gardens.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:35 pm I see deer everywhere here in exurbia. I see deer in the city and suburbs here, too. I love that. It was their land until humans kept moving out into the pastures (many of those are long gone). I just wish the deer would stay off the roads or learn to fear cars. We can learn to protect our gardens.
I live in northern Mn and the white tail deer did not live up here in any numbers at all until This part of the state was logged off. Before that it was all caribou and moose.

Large animals like deer are a problem in any city, from the spread of limes disease to being a road hazard. Feral hogs running about must be a real pain.

I've looked at the map every year which says they're in my neck of SE AZ. I've never seen one crossing the roads but spotted many a deer. I've heard from hunters of pigs that they are extremely hard to find because they are very wary and intelligent animals. It's only the Youtube videos that gives the impression people are tripping over them left & right in TX and Louisiana.

Too bad for me. I'd really like to bag one in my backyard. Got plenty of javalenas (pecaries) wandering about though...

Bisbee wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:49 pm I've looked at the map every year which says they're in my neck of SE AZ. I've never seen one crossing the roads but spotted many a deer.
Maybe hang a trail cam and see what's walking around in the dark. That's when 'bacon on the hoof' is active around here. ;)