Re: Politically correct animal crackers

AndyH wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:32 pm
CDFingers wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:48 am Echoes from the dim, dark past nearly beyond recall:

"Love animals, don't eat them."

During the early 1970's in Laguna Beach, California, there was this restaurant by that name run by dirty filthy scroungy long haired hippie doper freaks. They had pot plants on their roof and would not let you drink water with your meal. They were the first vegans before that name was in wide distribution. All the workers were really skinny, very tan, and had those bright white teeth and bright eyes of folks who eat a lot of citrus fruits. Because the restaurant was right across Pacific Coast Highway from the beach, we beach types would eat there. That's where I developed my enjoyment at eating steamed vegetables over brown rice with soy sauce. Very simple yet enjoyable meal--one dollar (four quarters because bills got wet). Well, just about anything tastes great after you've been in the ocean for four or five hours.

After all these years it turns out they were correct: adults don't have to eat meat--I stopped in 1973. Yet I've never put animal crackers in my soup, preferring instead to scarf them after dipping them in crunchy peanut butter. Go figure.

CDFingers
That sounds like a cool place! And yes, you get 1000 bonus points for crunchy peanut butter. :yahoo:
One of the cruelest ironies in my life is that I cannot eat peanut butter, crunchy or otherwise. As a kid, I lived on PB&J sandwiches, and, in college, discovered the wonders of Deaf Smith natural peanut butter. I used to make my own--shelling a pound of peanuts, putting it in the food processor, and letting it grind! Wonderful!

Then, late in life, I developed a sensitivity to peanuts, peanut oil, and peanut butter. Not an allergy, but a sensitivity. I can eat a PB&J sandwich about every 6 months without a problem. But a couple of days in a row? No good! Almond and pecan butter are acceptable alternatives, and while l far prefer almonds and pecans to peanuts, crunchy peanut butter is still the king, the best, the tastiest.

As I said, a cruel irony.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."