Fresh Air: 'The Weaponization Of Social Media'

Everyone really need to listen to this to understand how our society is being manipulated through our social psychology.

Do you know the difference between a "bot" and a "sock-puppet" and why the combination of the two fake social media accounts are used to sway public opinion that have affects in elections to wars?

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/09/65586865 ... cial-media
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Re: Fresh Air: 'The Weaponization Of Social Media'

It's true that many of us independent thinkers here (not just old fogies) have closed our social media accounts. What is of concern are those who have not and blithely participate in something that is an open backdoor into their belief and decision making system. That is why I say it is important for all of us to recognize the infection happening in the minds of those around us.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Re: Fresh Air: 'The Weaponization Of Social Media'

Good interview as always on "Fresh Air". I'll have to add "Like War" to my reading list. I see Kathleen Hall Jamieson is out with a new book, "Cyberwar: How Russian Hackers and Trolls Helped Elect a President: What We Don't, Can't, and Do Know". She's a prof at UPenn and a talking head on mainly PBS shows.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan