Re: Didja vote yet?

Bucolic wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:17 am I used to love early voting when I lived in AZ. There is no early voting here. I must say that enjoy voting on Election Day. Something about standing in line, trying to ascertain the leanings if my fellow voters while respecting their and my privacy, dealing with the ballot, etc.

I love the smell of voting in the morning. Smells like democracy.
:yahoo:
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Wonderful story, Hiker.

I dropped off my AZ ballot couple weeks ago. Pretty much party line vote. Uneventful at the post office mail drop. Just curious what my vote will do for the Red-state results.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

When people vote, Progressives win.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Absolutely! Did the 'early voting' thing the middle of the first week. Waited in line almost an hour - I've never seen so many people lined up to use a library in my life. :lol:

Had a cool conversation during the wait. A gent behind me was an outgoing grandpa type that was talking with just about everyone within easy reach. There he was, all of about 5'7" with arms the size of my legs and his US Marine Corps ball cap square on his head, explaining that the one thing he and his four kids can't talk about is this (as he opens his arms at the length of the line and laughs). All of his kids were capitalists, he explained. :lol: A mother was keeping her young son occupied with music from her cell phone, and something that sounded like "MacArthur Park' started to play. The Marine told them both about song and the real park - he's from LA. Later on, as we got closer to the doors, he tapped on my shoulder and said he wanted to show me a picture. He pulled up a photo on his phone of three skinny guys wearing green pants and no shirts - he and two buddies from their time in VIetnam. He was the squad leader and his friend lost a leg saving his life. They're still the best of friends, talk at least every couple of weeks, and get together every year. It was a really fulfilling time in that line, and was full of reminders of why we vote.

I voted and it was like when i play the lottery, none of my picks won. :(
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:08 am I voted and it was like when i play the lottery, none of my picks won. :(
I'm lucky. The GOP gerrymandered my District US Rep (Doggett) so that it would elect a lefty, while setting all the others to go right - just some crumbs to try to get by courts.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:08 am I voted and it was like when i play the lottery, none of my picks won. :(
I'm lucky. The GOP gerrymandered my District US Rep (Doggett) so that it would elect a lefty, while setting all the others to go right - just some crumbs to try to get by courts.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

The only good thing in this parts of Texas is Pete Sessions was defeated.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I woke up this morning humming a Bruce Cockburn song c. 1980. Here’s the relevant lyric:

Sun's up, uuh huh, looks okay
The world survives into another day
And I'm thinking about eternity. 
Some kind of ecstasy got a hold on me.

...and I’m Wondering Where the Lions Are.

Two years of gridlock, fun investigations, and a POTUS whose head may explode in a shitstorm of frustration could be entertaining.

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:29 am The only good thing in this parts of Texas is Pete Sessions was defeated.
I'm thinkin' Beto running helped some Dems over the line. We have a close one here than may end up in a runoff (Hurd/Ortiz Jones).

Gerrymandered here too, so have an idiot for a US rep. Howevah, the Dems took all the top state offices, we passed the reefer bill, the fix gerrymandered bill, and voter rights bill that allows day of registration among other things. Michigan had a good election. Those three referendums passed 56/44, 61/39, and 66/33.So we are just getting started.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

Antiquus wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:42 pm Gerrymandered here too, so have an idiot for a US rep. Howevah, the Dems took all the top state offices, we passed the reefer bill, the fix gerrymandered bill, and voter rights bill that allows day of registration among other things. Michigan had a good election. Those three referendums passed 56/44, 61/39, and 66/33.So we are just getting started.
2020 brings the new census, followed up by redistricting, I know you already know that but we at least got our dem governor in Mn and I think it weighed heavily on the voters minds.