Re: 6.4 magnitude So Cal earthquake

SubRosa wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:47 pm Many years ago I was up doing a re-lamp on the KROP tower in Brawley, CA when one hit. It looked like a cord being pulled under a rug, coming right at me. Being up @ 140', there wasn't much to do but hold on. It made the tower jump up & down a couple times, but didn't sway.

Scared hell out of me.

S u b R o s a
Yes, it is all academic until you feel a big one. The idea of "prepping" doesn't seem so crazy when you go through something like that once or twice.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s said:

The idea of "prepping" doesn't seem so crazy when you go through something like that once or twice.
Exactly, that is my primary reason for stockpiling a couple weeks of food and water. In a serious earthquake, the roads, power and water can all go out at once. If the power stays out, there are no gasoline pumps, ATM cards don't work and you ask yourself "Why do I only have $37 in cash?" Grocery stores will empty out in a single day and if no trucks can come in, you are really on your own.

Sure, I think we can recover from all that, but it could be a real mess for a couple of weeks.

max129 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:22 pm
K9s said:

The idea of "prepping" doesn't seem so crazy when you go through something like that once or twice.
Exactly, that is my primary reason for stockpiling a couple weeks of food and water. In a serious earthquake, the roads, power and water can all go out at once. If the power stays out, there are no gasoline pumps, ATM cards don't work and you ask yourself "Why do I only have $37 in cash?" Grocery stores will empty out in a single day and if no trucks can come in, you are really on your own.

Sure, I think we can recover from all that, but it could be a real mess for a couple of weeks.
Yup. Between living a couple of miles from major faults and the last couple of years' worth of wildfires, I keep ample supply of things on hand. It makes sitting in the dark and cut off from communication much more fun when you have something to eat and drink and can deal with the occasional flesh wound. I also keep a respirator mask for each of us (not just those disposable N95 masks). Smoke ain't no joke.