FBI says, White Supremacist Planned To Blow Up Colorado Synagogue

Federal agents arrested a white supremacist in Colorado last week for planning to bomb a synagogue, according to a complaint filed by the FBI on Saturday.

Richard Holzer, 27, of Pueblo, Colorado, was arrested Friday and charged with attempting to obstruct religious exercise by force using explosives and fire. He faces up to 20 years in prison, a $250,000 fine or both.

He was charged with a hate crime and his alleged actions “constitute domestic terrorism,” U.S. attorney Jason Dunn said at a press conference Monday.

Holzer planned to use pipe bombs and dynamite to attack Temple Emanuel in Pueblo, located about 110 miles south of Denver, early Saturday morning, according to the FBI’s complaint.

Federal agents learned of Holzer’s plan after reaching out to him covertly on Facebook, where he managed several accounts that promoted white supremacist ideology and racist acts of violence, the complaint alleges.

In his posts on social media, Holzer repeatedly expressed his hatred of Jewish people and his support of a “racial holy war,” Dunn said.

An FBI agent posing as a female white supremacist initiated contact on Sept. 28 with Holzer, who told her he used to be a member of the Ku Klux Klan but is now a skinhead.

He sent the covert FBI agent photos of himself with gun, and a video that showed him urinating on what appeared to be the front door of a Jewish center, according to the complaint.

Holzer later told her that he paid a Mexican cook $70 to “poison” Temple Emanuel by putting arsenic in the synagogue’s water pipes on Oct. 31 last year. He said he hoped to do it again a year later.

In his communications with undercover FBI agents, Holzer also said he wanted to do something that would let Jewish people in the Pueblo community know “they should leave or they would die,” Dunn said. Holzer allegedly told agents he wanted to destroy the synagogue and, in his words, “get that place off the map.”

Undercover FBI agents, posing as white supremacists, met with Holzer in person on Oct. 17. He told the agents that the synagogue was shut down for months after the alleged arsenic attack last year and that he wanted to do it again to “make them know they’re not wanted here.” He also said he wanted to use explosives during this year’s planned attack.

The undercover agents met with Holzer several more times. On Nov. 1, they purported to present him with two pipe bombs and 14 sticks of dynamite. The devices were inert and merely props produced by the FBI, but Holzer examined them and called them “absolutely gorgeous.”

Holzer said they would carry out the attack around 2:30 or 3 a.m. on Nov. 2, according to the complaint. He was arrested soon after. Upon questioning, Holzer admitted that he planned to bomb the synagogue and called Jewish people a “cancer,” the complaint states.

Holzer, who is currently in federal custody, made an initial court appearance Monday and will have a hearing on Thursday, Dunn said. An FBI spokesperson said in Monday’s press conference that the agency does not believe there is any remaining public safety threat.

The arrest comes just days after the anniversary of the Tree of Life synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh, in which an anti-Semitic conspiracy theorist gunned down 11 people and injured six others.

Anti-Semitic incidents have been on the rise nationwide in recent years. The Anti-Defamation League reported in April that assaults against Jewish people in 2018 were more than double the number reported in 2017.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/richard ... db2d509225

So he goes to prison and meets up with his white supremacy buddies.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: FBI says, White Supremacist Planned To Blow Up Colorado Synagogue

tonguengroover wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:16 pm The Jewish people think they are safe because of Jarod, and Trump gives them big tax breaks. They better think again.
Not this Jew! Not to be redundant, but my wife and I agreed to become gun owners on the morning of November 9, 2016--three years ago, Saturday. We both DAMN well knew what he is and what he was unleashing!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:21 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:16 pm The Jewish people think they are safe because of Jarod, and Trump gives them big tax breaks. They better think again.
Not this Jew! Not to be redundant, but my wife and I agreed to become gun owners on the morning of November 9, 2016--three years ago, Saturday. We both DAMN well knew what he is and what he was unleashing!
We may give Israel billions of dollars a year backing their existence in the middle east, but it looks like the Jewish Citizens of America are on their own.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:12 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:21 pm
We may give Israel billions of dollars a year backing their existence in the middle east, but it looks like the Jewish Citizens of America are on their own.
Israel (under Bibi and his neo-fascist support) threw the vast majority of American Jews, liberal and reform and conservative, under the bus. Only the Orthodox had no problem with Netanyahu's racist policies.

We are on our own. That's what I have my handguns, PCCs, and AR-10.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I'm sorry to call you out on this, but it's not the reason. The Jewish people, of which I am a member, feel we are safe because we have been safe in the U.S.A. for a long time and at this point most of our relatives that fled persecution have died of old age, and anti-semitism feels like a distant, dead issue. It's not.

pitbullprogrammer wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:28 pm
I'm sorry to call you out on this, but it's not the reason. The Jewish people, of which I am a member, feel we are safe because we have been safe in the U.S.A. for a long time and at this point most of our relatives that fled persecution have died of old age, and anti-semitism feels like a distant, dead issue. It's not.
Jewish Americans (and Japanese-Americans) have been some of the best at reminding everyone to watch out for the next time the blame-game starts and camps are built. My guess is that Latinx will also join that group over the next generation. African-Americans have been warning everyone for decades.

Most POC in this country saw Trump coming, but many whites didn't really believe he was going to be this racist this fast and this effectively. They thought he was "joking". The GOP was exposed for what it is and there is no taking that back.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:01 pm Any Jew who didn't see EXACTLY what Trump is, is no different than those who refused to believe Hitler meant what he said, only worse: Because now we have experience of having seen it.
i don't think donald really thinks about religion at all, or ethnicity either, except in terms of who he can pander to. because anyone other than him is inferior, and it just is like that in his world, no thought required. on the other hand, his supporters and advisors, they're a different matter. they want to blame someone, anyone for their troubles, and race or ethnicity or religion are convenient wedges to rouse the rabble.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:01 pm Any Jew who didn't see EXACTLY what Trump is, is no different than those who refused to believe Hitler meant what he said, only worse: Because now we have experience of having seen it.
i don't think donald really thinks about religion at all, or ethnicity either, except in terms of who he can pander to. because anyone other than him is inferior, and it just is like that in his world, no thought required. on the other hand, his supporters and advisors, they're a different matter. they want to blame someone, anyone for their troubles, and race or ethnicity or religion are convenient wedges to rouse the rabble.
I used to think that, too. Then he called Mexicans rapists, Jews disloyal, and neo-nazis very fine people. You have to believe him when he tells you what he believes.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

What really gets me are his advisors that are Jewish and show the same white nationalist traits - like his one advisor who had all his emails leaked, Stephen Miller, who is a descendent of Jewish refugees from Belarus that emigrated to flee the pogroms. I'm not sure how to break it down to these people but, in good times, us Jews are considered "white", but in bad times we're not.

Cohn, Kushner, and Mnuchin are probably thinking they'll just get rich and have cushy jobs after they leave. All those big donors are enabling authoritarianism (looking at you, Sheldon!). They don't think Trump and the white nationalists will turn on them. If they look at what MBS and Putin (Trump friends) do to other oligarchs, they might even think they have a backup plan, but it might not work out the way they planned.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

FYI: If you want to simultaneously piss off the Nazis while helping refugees trapped at the border, HIAS (Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) desperately need people to help translate asylum applications of folks that are trapped in Mexico awaiting their asylum case to be adjudicated because of the Trump administration’s “remain in Mexico” policy. The applications are hand written in Spanish but can’t be processed until they’re translated into English. It’s remote work that can be done from home. As it stands right now, around 10,000 people are currently stranded at the border in this predicament.

If you can speak broken Spanish or know somebody who does, and are willing to put in around 5 hours of work a week, it could mean the difference between life and death for somebody that has already fled thousands of miles on foot to escape unspeakable violence. Oh, and as I mentioned before, helping refugees through an organization founded by Jews is a great way to stick it to the Nazis if that fits your fancy.