Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

lurker wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:50 pm JHU again. supposedly we've seen a decline in the US daily rate since mid july, but the numbers are suspect since that's when donny announced he was going to suppress reporting. at this point the lows are about where the highs were in april, but i think i see another upswing developing.
covid19.jpg
IIRC JHU goes directly to states to get their data instead of going to HHS for it. They too had concerns about data tampering at CDC and HHS. Of course states can tamper with their data too.

That seems to be the peaks and valleys of this pandemic, it never quite goes away. We first thought it would die out during the summer months like influenza, but it didn't. Looking at the southern hemisphere it looked like Australia had nipped it in the bud, but it re-surged and Melbourne their second largest city (5 million) is under lock down. They're installing physical barriers around Melbourne to enforce it due to "freedom" protests.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... TODAY.html

Yup, according to Fauci we'll see another surge this fall. We'll survive.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Parts of the Spanish capital Madrid are to be subject to lockdown restrictions to curb a rise in Covid-19, as cases across Europe continue to spike.
Spain now has 625,651 cases, according to Johns Hopkins University, and rates of infection in the Madrid region are more than double the national average, the Spanish government says. From Monday, 37 of the worst-hit health districts in the region will be subject to lockdown restrictions.
France recorded its highest number of new confirmed daily cases since the pandemic began, at 13,215 - a jump of nearly 3,000 more cases in 24 hours. They included Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire, who said he had tested positive but was showing no symptoms. Several cities, including Marseille and Nice, are bringing in tighter restrictions.

The UK recorded 4,322 new cases and 27 deaths on Friday - its highest number of cases since 8 May, and Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned a second wave was now "inevitable". Large parts of the north of England are now subject to extensive lockdown measures.
Indoor restaurant dining is to be banned in the Irish capital Dublin, and all non-essential travel discouraged, after a surge in recent cases. Denmark is lowering public gathering numbers from 100 to 50 and ordering bars and restaurants to close early. Entertainment venues and pubs in the Icelandic capital Reykjavik have been ordered to close over the weekend. Restrictions are to be tightened in six regions and cities in the Netherlands, including Amsterdam and Rotterdam. Tighter restrictions are also coming into force in the Greater Athens region of Greece
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54211361

The US still has travel restrictions in place.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... tries.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

lurker wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:10 pm
featureless wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:08 pm Ugh. Wonder where the peak will be.
wherever our lord and master donald the first decrees it shall be.
Prepare for Sharpie markdowns on charts.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

harriss wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:27 pm Bill Gates says trump's China travel ban didn't do jack and actually seeded SARS-CoV-2 here in the US back in January-February. When tens of thousands of US citizens returned from China and Europe there was no protocol to test them or quarantine them.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/ ... nr-vpx.cnn
Gates is probably right. And DHS has admitted they only did a basic screening of 1 in 10 returnees. Even now the tests we have for the coronavirus have about a 30% false negative rate. Nine months into the pandemic we should have more accurate tests.

lurker wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:10 pm might help if we didn't have an old-testament anti-science government.
Yup, Trump opened the door to the bible thumpers and they've mucked it up. Biden will have work to do, starting with cleaning out all the political appointees at HHS and the CDC. Better to have career federal employees run the department than holdover Trump appointees.

you can say all the bad things you want about joe biden and many of them no doubt true (yes, he's a corporatist, so is DT. but stop giving the bad guys ammunition, damn you) but if he just looks down the list of donald's dubious "uncomplishments" and undoes them all, that makes him a great president in my book. before we can resume making progress, first we need to get this trainwreck back on the tracks.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

White House coronavirus advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci pushed back Wednesday against Sen. Rand Paul’s claim that New York has overcome the coronavirus pandemic because it achieved herd immunity, telling the Republican lawmaker he’s “not listening.” In an exchange at a Senate hearing on the nation’s coronavirus response, Paul claimed that New York’s death rate is among the highest in the world despite shuttering businesses and schools earlier this year to curb the spread of the coroanvirus.

He also compared New York’s response with that by Sweden, which decided to keep its economy relatively open. Public health experts have said that Sweden’s vulnerable population paid a price for that decision. The Kentucky U.S. senator also said New York has achieved enough herd immunity from the coronavirus and is “no longer having the pandemic.” “To those who argue that the lockdown flattened the curve in New York and New Jersey, the evidence argues otherwise,” Paul said, accusing Fauci of being a “big fan” of Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo and New York’s “shutdown” despite its high number of Covid-19 deaths.

“No, you misconstrued that senator, and you’ve done that repeatedly in the past,” Fauci responded at the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions hearing. “They got hit very badly, they made some mistakes. Right now if you look at what’s going on right now, the things that are going on in New York to get their test positivity 1% or less is because they are looking at the guidelines that we have put together from the task force of the four or five things of masks, social distancing, outdoors more than indoors, avoiding crowds and washing hands,” said Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

He also said he “challenged” Paul’s claim that New York has achieved herd immunity, saying around 22% of New York’s residents have likely been exposed to the coronavirus. Sixty to 80% of a population needs to be vaccinated or develop antibodies through natural infection to achieve herd immunity, top World Health Organization officials have said.

Earlier in the hearing, Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, warned that more than 90% of the U.S. population “remains susceptible” to Covid-19. The coronavirus has spread across America at varying rates since it crossed U.S. shores in January, infecting as much as 15% to 20% of the population in some states and less than 1% in others, he said.

“You are not listening to what the director of the CDC said,” Fauci told Paul. “If you believe that 22% is herd immunity, I believe you’re alone in that.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/23/you-are ... aring.html

Rand Paul is also an MD, but he's an ophthalmologist and not an infectious disease expert like Fauci and Redfield.

The NAD sued the Trump administration, arguing that its refusal to provide on-screen interpreters during COVID-19 briefings was illegal and put members of the deaf community at risk as some people struggled to receive pertinent health and safety information about the pandemic.
I can't think of a worse outcome at the worse place - Marlee Matlin (as much as I admire her) saying this is a great victory forcing WH to have a signer. I say it's the worst thing that could happen. There NOT being a signer at CV-19 briefings probably saved thousands of deaf people lives that may have drank Clorox or injected Lysol are stuck a UV light up their rectum. Be careful what you wish for, you may get it!!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

A new study published in The Lancet says only 10% of the US population has SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in their blood.
(CNN)A new nationwide study of the blood of more than 28,000 dialysis patients may help answer one of the big questions surrounding the pandemic: how many people have antibodies to SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus?

The answer could tell us a lot about how many people in the United States have been exposed to the virus and how much community spread there has been. Plus, the testing strategy used in the study points to a relatively easy way to track Covid-19 disease activity over the long-term, especially among vulnerable populations.
The short answer to how many people had antibodies, as of July, is approximately 9.3% -- although numbers ranged from an average of 3.5% in the West to an average of 27% in the Northeast.

"This research clearly confirms that despite high rates of COVID-19 in the United States, the number of people with antibodies is still low and we haven't come close to achieving herd immunity. Until an effective vaccine is approved, we need to make sure our more vulnerable populations are reached with prevention measures," study author Dr. Julie Parsonnet, a professor of medicine at Stanford University, said in a statement.

For the study, which was published Friday in The Lancet, researchers led by Stanford University's Dr. Shuchi Anand, analyzed samples of plasma -- a component of blood -- from more than 28,500 patients receiving dialysis in July at approximately 1,300 facilities in 46 states run by one lab.
The overall percent of people who were positive for antibodies among those sampled was 8%. Because dialysis patients aren't representative of the US population, the researchers standardized the results with respect to age, sex, race and ethnicity and region, to get an estimate of 9.3% seropositivity for the US adult population.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/25/health/c ... index.html

harriss wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:58 pm A new study published in The Lancet says only 10% of the US population has SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in their blood.
(CNN)A new nationwide study of the blood of more than 28,000 dialysis patients may help answer one of the big questions surrounding the pandemic: how many people have antibodies to SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus?

The answer could tell us a lot about how many people in the United States have been exposed to the virus and how much community spread there has been. Plus, the testing strategy used in the study points to a relatively easy way to track Covid-19 disease activity over the long-term, especially among vulnerable populations. The short answer to how many people had antibodies, as of July, is approximately 9.3% -- although numbers ranged from an average of 3.5% in the West to an average of 27% in the Northeast.

"This research clearly confirms that despite high rates of COVID-19 in the United States, the number of people with antibodies is still low and we haven't come close to achieving herd immunity. Until an effective vaccine is approved, we need to make sure our more vulnerable populations are reached with prevention measures," study author Dr. Julie Parsonnet, a professor of medicine at Stanford University, said in a statement.

For the study, which was published Friday in The Lancet, researchers led by Stanford University's Dr. Shuchi Anand, analyzed samples of plasma -- a component of blood -- from more than 28,500 patients receiving dialysis in July at approximately 1,300 facilities in 46 states run by one lab.

The overall percent of people who were positive for antibodies among those sampled was 8%. Because dialysis patients aren't representative of the US population, the researchers standardized the results with respect to age, sex, race and ethnicity and region, to get an estimate of 9.3% seropositivity for the US adult population.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/25/health/c ... index.html
The Lancet in Britain is like the New England Journal of Medicine here, highly respected. The 10% seems inline with the CDC director's statement last week that over 90% of the US population is susceptible to the coronavirus. After about seven months we only have 10%, we really need the vaccine or vaccines to boost it to 70-80%.

highdesert wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:26 pm
sikacz wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:52 pm Meanwhile at the UN....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/at ... d=msedgdhp

As the world turns.
Yes, disgusting our bully-in-chief takes his tactics to the international stage. Britain and France the other two permanent members were strangely silent.
I suspect it doesn't upset their interests.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Getting weirder - I was in for my annual full exam this morning. Had been turning down all the offers from other Docs and Hospitals for a flu shot as I had this scheduled for today. Doc informs me he CAN'T get any more flu vaccines. Said they received 50 vials for six doctors to share in his group in mid-September and no more available. I stopped at grocery store pharmacy on way home and got the vaccine for over age 65 and decided to go ahead and get the first new shingles vaccine and will return in December for booster.

Hard to believe there are even shortages on yearly flu shots, much less a vaccine for CV-19. Does anyone know what purpose republicans serve in this world??

Glad you got your flu shot Wino, got mine towards the end of August. Pharmacist said it takes about 14 days to kick in.

The new Shingrix vaccine is over 90% effective, much better than the previous vaccine. And they've dropped the age down to 50 for Shingrix, it was 60 for Zostavax which was the first vaccine. When I got the first Shingrix shot, there was a big shortage in my general area my pharmacy had a waiting list. There was no problem finding a pharmacy when I went for the second one.

I rarely go to stores, went to Target this week and a young pharmacist with a mask had setup a table on an isle near the pharmacy, she enticed me in to her office and I got a flu shot. Why not, she thought I was funny as we conversed, bet she says that to all the old codgers. LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.