Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

senorgrand wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:11 pm SARS, Ebola, West Nile...each was supposed to be the next Black Death. I just don't think it's a thing. I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

Oh, and Mad Cow...remember that scare?

I just think the amount of fear is disproportionate to the risk.
It is until it isn't. :)

At some point, Gaia is going to give us a little payback. Who knows if it's now or some other time?

senorgrand wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:11 pm SARS, Ebola, West Nile...each was supposed to be the next Black Death. I just don't think it's a thing. I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

Oh, and Mad Cow...remember that scare?

I just think the amount of fear is disproportionate to the risk.
They were the next 'Black Death' for those it found.

Yeah, I remember Mad Cow. I lived in England from 1983 to 1987. I'm forbidden from giving blood and platelets for life because of it. I remember it every time I hear about the Red Cross needing blood, and every time my mother in law gets another transfusion and platelet resupply as they treat her leukemia.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/25/health/c ... index.html
(CNN)Medical supply stores in central Texas are experiencing a medical mask shortage after a Texas A&M student, having recently traveled to Wuhan, China, may have contracted coronavirus.

Stores around the Brazos Valley, where the university is located, say they are completely out of medical masks, according to CNN affiliate KBTX.

The student has experienced symptoms of an upper respiratory virus and went to a local hospital Wednesday evening. A sample has been sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for testing, according to the Brazos County Health Authority.

Results are expected over the weekend or Monday, the authority said. The student is being kept isolated at home until the testing is complete.
ETA...emphasis mine. Hmmm..he might be infected, so let's expose someone to get samples, and then send him home until we know if he's a ticking time bomb. Yeah, good plan.
Last edited by AndyH on Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Death toll in China up to 56...237 critical...med workers running out of supplies...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/25/china/wu ... index.html
Beijing (CNN)The death toll from the Wuhan coronavirus in China continues rising as authorities and health care workers struggle to contain the outbreak.

Fifty-six people have been killed by the novel coronavirus in China, health officials said on Saturday. Over 1,900 confirmed cases have been reported across the country.

China's state-run Xinhua news agency reported that 237 patients are in critical condition.

Healthcare workers in the Chinese city of Wuhan say hospitals are running low on supplies as they treat an increasing number of patients.

The Chinese central government announced it would send more than 1,200 health workers — as well as 135 People's Liberation Army medical personnel -- to the city in an unprecedented effort to contain the spread of the virus.
coronamap.jpg
source: CNN
On Thursday, David Heymann, the chairman of a WHO committee gathering data on the outbreak, said the virus spreads more easily from person to person than previously thought. "We are now seeing second and third generation spread," Heymann said.

AndyH wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:03 pm I lived in England from 1983 to 1987. I'm forbidden from giving blood and platelets for life because of it. I remember it every time I hear about the Red Cross needing blood, and every time my mother in law gets another transfusion and platelet resupply as they treat her leukemia.
Margaret Thatcher and her government should have been put on trial over their handling of mad cow disease in the UK.

We no longer lived in a scary world of dangerous bacteria and viruses, now there were prions.
Researchers believe that the infectious agent that causes mad cow disease is an abnormal version of a protein normally found on cell surfaces, called a prion. For reasons still unknown, this protein becomes altered and destroys nervous system tissue -- the brain and spinal cord.
Common methods to eliminate disease-causing organisms in food, like heat, do not affect prions. Also, prions only seem to live in nervous system tissue.
https://www.webmd.com/brain/mad-cow-disease-basics#1

A new coronavirus that has spread to almost 2,000 people is infectious in its incubation period - before symptoms show - making it harder to contain, Chinese officials say. Some 56 people have died from the virus. Health minister Ma Xiaowei told reporters the ability of the virus to spread appeared to be strengthening. Several Chinese cities have imposed significant travel restrictions.

Wuhan in Hubei, the source of the outbreak, is in effective lockdown. The infections were at a "crucial stage of containment", Ma Xiaowei said. Officials announced that the sale of all wildlife in China would be banned from Sunday. The virus is thought to have originated in animals, but no cause has been officially identified.

In humans, the incubation period - during which a person has the disease, but no symptoms yet - ranges from between one and 14 days, officials believe. Without symptoms, a person may not know they have the infection, but still be able to spread it.
This is a significant development in our understanding of the virus and the lengths China will have to go to stop it. People with Sars (the last deadly coronavirus outbreak to hit China) and Ebola are contagious only when symptoms appear. Such outbreaks are relatively easy to stop - identify and isolate people who are sick and monitor anyone they came into contact with.

Flu, however, is the most famous example of a virus that you spread before you even know you're ill. We are not at the stage where people are saying this could be a global pandemic like swine flu.

But stopping such "symptomless spreaders" will make the job of the Chinese authorities much harder. There are still crucial questions - how infectious are people during the incubation period and did any of the patients outside China spread the disease in those countries before becoming sick? And why did China's National Health Commission say the transmission ability of this virus is getting stronger?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51254523
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

First case identified in a CA woman.
California has recorded its first confirmed case of the new strain of coronavirus, arriving in Orange County by a traveler who visited from the epicenter of the outbreak in Wuhan, China.

The Orange County Health Care Agency confirmed late Saturday night that the infected person’s virus was the same strain as the one that has spread to more than 2,000 people in 14 countries and territories and caused 56 deaths since it was discovered late last month in central China.

The patient is in good condition and is in isolation at a hospital, Orange County health officials said. Health authorities are following up with anyone who has had close contact with the patient, but also noted that people with casual contact — such as visiting the same grocery store or movie theater — “are at minimal risk of developing infection.”

“The risk of local transmission remains low,” officials said. While officials were waiting to hear lab confirmation of the virus, the patient was instructed on how to reduce exposing the virus to others. Authorities also added there is no evidence that the virus has been spread by the traveler to other Orange County residents.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... oronavirus

They're not saying which OC hospital the woman is in, probably the University of California, Irvine Medical Center.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Curious what details of symptoms are as the majority of the news reports seem very general (fever, cough, sneezing). Also wondering what is leading to the deaths? Are they occurring only in weaker patients and the result of respiratory failure or complications associated with pneumonia, etc.? Again, I am not seeing any informed reporting on these realities, whatever they may be. Feels a bit like govt. reporting is intentionally vague so as not to cause panic, but I think the lack of detailed info makes it worse. Thanks.
Mark

onebohemian wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:20 pm Curious what details of symptoms are as the majority of the news reports seem very general (fever, cough, sneezing). Also wondering what is leading to the deaths? Are they occurring only in weaker patients and the result of respiratory failure or complications associated with pneumonia, etc.? Again, I am not seeing any informed reporting on these realities, whatever they may be. Feels a bit like govt. reporting is intentionally vague so as not to cause panic, but I think the lack of detailed info makes it worse. Thanks.
You're right, China is only releasing numbers of deaths and not details. It's a respiratory virus so it's assumed that like similar viruses those most at risk are the elderly and people of all ages with compromised immune systems or respiratory problems. In the US and western countries patients have access to anti-virals which are used against influenza such as Tamiflu, we don't know if China is using them or how they react to this virus. And we don't know how the three identified patients in the US are being treated.

One news report said they are using anti-HIV medications Lopinavir and Ritonavir, HIV is a virus.
China is using AbbVie Inc.’s HIV drugs as an ad-hoc treatment for pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus while the global search for a cure continues. The Beijing branch of China’s National Health Commission said that a combination of lopinavir and ritonavir, sold under the brand name Kaletra by AbbVie, is part of its latest treatment plan for patients infected by the virus, which has killed at least 56 people in China and sickened more than 2,000 worldwide.

The NHC said that while there is not yet any effective anti-viral drug, it recommends patients be given two lopinavir and ritonavir tablets twice a day and a dose of alpha-interpheron through nebulization twice daily. Medical journal Lancet said on Friday that a clinical trial is under way using ritonavir and lopinavir to treat cases of the new coronavirus. In the meantime, China’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention will start developing a vaccine, according to the Global Times.

Wang Guangfa, a respiratory expert at Peking University First Hospital in Beijing who was infected by the virus after visiting Wuhan to inspect coronavirus patients, told China News Week earlier this week that his doctor recommended he take the HIV drugs to fight the new virus and they worked on him.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/ ... i3QrbfQi00

The only people who really win here are the one and the same people: Prepping grifters (SARS gonna get ya! Stock up on masks and food!), the conspiracy grifters (already spreading fake news about it for click $$$), anti-immigration racists (same ol, same ol), and the anti-vaxxers (now claiming SARS was created by Big Pharma).

It is a welcome distraction to GOP and Trumpians. *squirrel*
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

highdesert wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:52 pm You're right, China is only releasing numbers of deaths and not details. It's a respiratory virus so it's assumed that like similar viruses those most at risk are the elderly and people of all ages with compromised immune systems or respiratory problems. In the US and western countries patients have access to anti-virals which are used against influenza such as Tamiflu, we don't know if China is using them or how they react to this virus. And we don't know how the three identified patients in the US are being treated.
As an aside about drugs... Tamiflu is sold as an anti-viral, and reportedly only useful for type A and B strains. It's supposed to help with the 'symptoms' of flu which is the focus of the western medicine model - treat the symptoms until the body heals it or until we have to cut something off. (Of course, I mean that in the nicest sort of way. ;) ) In the US, the FDA prohibits advertising non-pharma solutions in any way for humans. I've recommended the amino acid L-lysine a number of times in this thread. I did that for a number of reasons: 1. it was recommended to me by a German doctor in the late '80s when I lived there and I've been using it since. It stops colds, flu, and cold sores (HSV) in their tracks. 2. It's prescribed by Canadian veterinarians to treat feline leukemia - which is a virus, not a cancer. 3. It activates a pathway in the body that stops viral replication - it doesn't matter which sort of virus. 4. As it's an amino acid the body needs, and it's the only one the body can't synthesize, the body already expects to obtain it orally and there are no side effects or interactions with drugs.

The big pharma analog is Valaciclovir. It operates the same way - by upsetting viral DNA replication via the same pathway (polymerase). Unlike L-lysine, pharma's derivative has some less-than-fun side effects that are indistinguishable from the 'flu' it's supposed to treat, up to an including coma, seizures and psychotic symptoms.

I'm passing this on for selfish reasons. I lost my father in law last week, my mother in law has a 'corona virus target' painted on her forehead (chemo for leukemia and -2 for an immune system), and I don't want to lose any of 'my' family here. Don't tell YT I care, though - I'll never live that down. :lol:

I fail to understand how outlawing "wet markets" in China will stop the species to species spread of viruses capable of mutating on a dime when in the US we have our own equivalent of wet markets in the livestock industrial farm sector where the overuse of antibiotics has given rise to antibiotic resistant pathogens. Of course there's a big difference between viruses and bacteria but the danger of the government losing control is the same especially with our toxic antibiotic resistant pathogen in the white house.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2 ... nting-them

Some facts about the SARS/Wuhan virus.
Something far deadlier than the Wuhan virus already lurks near you

The virus is influenza, and it poses a far greater threat to Americans than the coronavirus from China that has made headlines around the world.

“When we think about the relative danger of this new coronavirus and influenza, there’s just no comparison,” said Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine and health policy at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. “Coronavirus will be a blip on the horizon in comparison. The risk is trivial.”

Enjoy progressive journalism? Help fight right-wing disinformation by supporting Raw Story. Click to learn more.
To be sure, the coronavirus outbreak, which originated last month in the Chinese city of Wuhan, should be taken seriously. The virus can cause pneumonia and is blamed for more than 800 illnesses and 26 deaths. British researchers estimate the virus has infected 4,000 people.

A second person in the U.S. who visited China has been diagnosed with the Wuhan virus, officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday. Public health workers are monitoring 63 additional patients from 22 states.

Influenza rarely gets this sort of attention, even though it kills more Americans each year than any other virus, said Dr. Peter Hotez, a professor of pediatrics, molecular virology and microbiology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.

Influenza has already sickened at least 13 million Americans this winter, hospitalizing 120,000 and killing 6,600, according to the CDC. And flu season hasn’t even peaked. In a bad year, the flu kills up to 61,000 Americans.

Worldwide, the flu causes up to 5 million cases of severe illness worldwide and kills up to 650,000 people every year, according to the World Health Organization.

And yet, Americans aren’t particularly concerned.

Fewer than half of adults got a flu shot last season, according to the CDC. Even among children, who can be especially vulnerable to respiratory illnesses, only 62% received the vaccine.

If Americans aren’t afraid of the flu, perhaps that’s because they are inured to yearly warnings. For them, the flu is old news. Yet viruses named after foreign places — such as Ebola, Zika and Wuhan — inspire terror.

“Familiarity breeds indifference,” Schaffner said. “Because it’s new, it’s mysterious and comes from an exotic place, the coronavirus creates anxiety.”

Some doctors joke that the flu needs to be rebranded.

“We should rename influenza; call it XZ-47 virus, or something scarier,” said Dr. Paul Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

Measles in the Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 5,000 people in the past year — more than twice as many as Ebola. Yet UNICEF officials have noted that the measles, which many Americans no longer fear, has gotten little attention. Nearly all the measles victims were children under 5.

Some people may worry less about the flu because there’s a vaccine, whose protection has ranged from 19% to 60% in recent years. Simply having the choice about whether or not to receive a flu shot can give people an illusion of control, Schaffner said.

But people often feel powerless to fight novel viruses. The fact that an airplane passenger spread SARS to other passengers and flight crew made people feel especially vulnerable.

Because the Wuhan virus is new, humans have no antibodies against it. Doctors haven’t had time to develop treatments or vaccines.

The big question, so far unknown, is just how easily the virus is transmitted from an infected person to others. The WHO this week opted not to declare the Wuhan outbreak an international health emergency. But officials warn the outbreak hasn’t peaked. Each patient with the new coronavirus appears to be infecting about two other people.

By comparison, patients with SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, spread the infection to an average of two to four others. Each patient with measles — one of the most contagious viruses known to science — infects 12 to 18 unvaccinated people.

Health officials worry that the new coronavirus could resemble SARS — which appeared suddenly in China in 2002 and spread to 26 countries, sickening 8,000 people and killing 774, according to the WHO.

The U.S. dodged a bullet with SARS, Schaffner said. Only eight Americans became infected, and none died, according to the CDC. Yet SARS caused a global panic, leading people to shutter hotels, cancel flights and close businesses.

Coronaviruses can be unpredictable, said Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. While some patients never infect anyone else, people who are “super spreaders” can infect dozens of others.

At Seoul’s Samsung Medical Center in 2015, a single emergency room patient infected 82 people — including patients, visitors and staff — with a coronavirus called MERS, or Middle East Respiratory Syndrome. The hospital partly shut down to control the virus.

“This is one of the finest medical centers in the world, on par with the Cleveland Clinic, and they were brought to their knees,” Osterholm said.

Yet MERS has never posed much a threat to the U.S.

Only two patients in the U.S. — health care providers who had worked in Saudi Arabia — have ever tested positive for the virus, according to the CDC. Both patients survived.

Hotez, who is working to develop vaccines against neglected diseases, said he worries about unvaccinated children. Most kids who die from the flu haven’t been immunized against it, he said. And many were previously healthy.

“If you’re worried about your health, get your flu vaccination,” Hotez said. “It’s not too late.”
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/01/somet ... -near-you/
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

We now have 5 official cases in US:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/26/third-u ... s-say.html
The fifth U.S. case of coronavirus was confirmed on Sunday in Maricopa County, Arizona, by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The announcement came after health officials in California announced that two cases had been confirmed earlier in the day in Los Angeles and Orange counties.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:29 pm Some facts about the SARS/Wuhan virus.
Very out of date, however, and little more than a 'we are the medical professionals - no need to worry your pretty head about bugs 'cause we're on the job' pitch.
Something far deadlier than the Wuhan virus already lurks near you

The virus is influenza, and it poses a far greater threat to Americans than the coronavirus from China that has made headlines around the world.
So flu, with repeating strains and plenty of herd immunity is more deadly? It's a bit early in the process to declare that.
“When we think about the relative danger of this new coronavirus and influenza, there’s just no comparison,” said Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine and health policy at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. “Coronavirus will be a blip on the horizon in comparison. The risk is trivial.”

Enjoy progressive journalism? Help fight right-wing disinformation by supporting Raw Story. Click to learn more.
To be sure, the coronavirus outbreak, which originated last month in the Chinese city of Wuhan, should be taken seriously. The virus can cause pneumonia and is blamed for more than 800 illnesses and 26 deaths. British researchers estimate the virus has infected 4,000 people.
As of right now, 50 dead, more than 2000 confirmed cases, and we're up to 5 in the US.
https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coro ... index.html
A second person in the U.S. who visited China has been diagnosed with the Wuhan virus, officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday. Public health workers are monitoring 63 additional patients from 22 states.

Influenza rarely gets this sort of attention, even though it kills more Americans each year than any other virus, said Dr. Peter Hotez, a professor of pediatrics, molecular virology and microbiology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.

Influenza has already sickened at least 13 million Americans this winter, hospitalizing 120,000 and killing 6,600, according to the CDC. And flu season hasn’t even peaked. In a bad year, the flu kills up to 61,000 Americans.

Worldwide, the flu causes up to 5 million cases of severe illness worldwide and kills up to 650,000 people every year, according to the World Health Organization.

And yet, Americans aren’t particularly concerned.

Fewer than half of adults got a flu shot last season, according to the CDC. Even among children, who can be especially vulnerable to respiratory illnesses, only 62% received the vaccine.
Many adults don't get flu shots because the powers that be have an abysmal record of actually guessing (yup - that's the science) which strains might hit next winter.
If Americans aren’t afraid of the flu, perhaps that’s because they are inured to yearly warnings. For them, the flu is old news. Yet viruses named after foreign places — such as Ebola, Zika and Wuhan — inspire terror.
Did this 'author' really just conflate flu, Zika, and f'n EBOLA?! Show me a single case of flu liquefying the patient's internal organs. I'll wait.
“Familiarity breeds indifference,” Schaffner said. “Because it’s new, it’s mysterious and comes from an exotic place, the coronavirus creates anxiety.”

Some doctors joke that the flu needs to be rebranded.

“We should rename influenza; call it XZ-47 virus, or something scarier,” said Dr. Paul Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

Measles in the Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 5,000 people in the past year — more than twice as many as Ebola. Yet UNICEF officials have noted that the measles, which many Americans no longer fear, has gotten little attention. Nearly all the measles victims were children under 5.

Some people may worry less about the flu because there’s a vaccine, whose protection has ranged from 19% to 60% in recent years. Simply having the choice about whether or not to receive a flu shot can give people an illusion of control, Schaffner said.

But people often feel powerless to fight novel viruses. The fact that an airplane passenger spread SARS to other passengers and flight crew made people feel especially vulnerable.

Because the Wuhan virus is new, humans have no antibodies against it. Doctors haven’t had time to develop treatments or vaccines.
This is a problem of the medical system's doing. When we are trained to disregard our bodies, nature, and symptoms before the illness kicks in, we have no choice but to run to the ER when something happens. While pharma doesn't have treatments, nature does (how many times can I kick this podium without breaking a toe?)
The big question, so far unknown, is just how easily the virus is transmitted from an infected person to others. The WHO this week opted not to declare the Wuhan outbreak an international health emergency. But officials warn the outbreak hasn’t peaked. Each patient with the new coronavirus appears to be infecting about two other people.
"Appears" but a useless estimate at this point because such analysis requires hindsight.
By comparison, patients with SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, spread the infection to an average of two to four others. Each patient with measles — one of the most contagious viruses known to science — infects 12 to 18 unvaccinated people.

Health officials worry that the new coronavirus could resemble SARS — which appeared suddenly in China in 2002 and spread to 26 countries, sickening 8,000 people and killing 774, according to the WHO.

The U.S. dodged a bullet with SARS, Schaffner said. Only eight Americans became infected, and none died, according to the CDC. Yet SARS caused a global panic, leading people to shutter hotels, cancel flights and close businesses.

Coronaviruses can be unpredictable, said Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. While some patients never infect anyone else, people who are “super spreaders” can infect dozens of others.

At Seoul’s Samsung Medical Center in 2015, a single emergency room patient infected 82 people — including patients, visitors and staff — with a coronavirus called MERS, or Middle East Respiratory Syndrome. The hospital partly shut down to control the virus.

“This is one of the finest medical centers in the world, on par with the Cleveland Clinic, and they were brought to their knees,” Osterholm said.

Yet MERS has never posed much a threat to the U.S.

Only two patients in the U.S. — health care providers who had worked in Saudi Arabia — have ever tested positive for the virus, according to the CDC. Both patients survived.

Hotez, who is working to develop vaccines against neglected diseases, said he worries about unvaccinated children. Most kids who die from the flu haven’t been immunized against it, he said. And many were previously healthy.

“If you’re worried about your health, get your flu vaccination,” Hotez said. “It’s not too late.”
Logic fallacies, false equivalency, whataboutism, and downright...nevermind. We'll see how this plays out in a month or three.
(sing along..."Mamas, don't let your kids grow up to be intel analysts...")

Influenza is worldwide so we have data over many years from many countries including fatality rates. As of now we're getting information on this Wuhan virus only from China and the fatality rate is about 3% against influenza in the US which is 2% (per 100,000 population) per CDC. SARS had a fatality rate of 14-15% so even though this virus is a cousin, it appears much less lethal. The Chinese did sequence the genome on this Wuhan virus so drug makers are already working on vaccines.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/flu.htm

The estimate of the number of Wuhan virus cases in China by Imperial College London was 4,000 cases as mentioned in the above article. That estimate was to January 18th and they noted that it was an estimate but the range of cases could be from 1,000 to 9,700.

Not a time to panic, stay informed and as SG recommended get your flu shot and wash your hands.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -the-mark/
The selections that officials made last week for the next Southern Hemisphere vaccine suggest that two of four viruses in the Northern Hemisphere vaccine that doctors and pharmacies are now pressing people to get may not be optimally protective this winter. Those two are influenza A/H3N2 and the influenza B/Victoria virus.

The strain selection committee concluded the H3N2 and B/Victoria viruses needed to be updated because the ones used in the Northern Hemisphere vaccine didn’t match the strains of those viruses that are now dominant. Influenza epidemiologist Dr. Danuta Skowronski described the significance of those two changes in one word: “mismatch.”
Tea leaves and leeches.
This thread is bad for my blood pressure. I'm going back to soldering.

highdesert wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:30 pm The new hospital in Wuhan supposed to be completed next Monday. No permits, environmental studies...Beijing orders it and it gets built. One report said the military will run it and thousands of medical personnel are being brought in.

No surprise on the military, there is a strong link in China between doctors and the military from what I gathered. So that part doesn’t surprise me. The quick quarantine and the speed at which these projects are enacted are more disturbing. You don’t build a hospital without a long design process unless you already have emergency plans and designs ready. For now watching.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

The coronavirus is traceable to bats, which ended up in the open market in Wuhan. Apparently this one, nCoV-2019, is uniquely in bats and people. Has about a 3% mortality rate, so far, worse than most flu viruses, not as bad as some. It is related to SARS and MERS, but otherwise seems to be a whole new one.

And if Chinese officials aren't lying...Trump isn't President.

But there ARE effective control methods. Nigeria EFFECTIVELY shut down Ebola in 2014 from devastating Lagos. Other nations weren't able to be as effective.

Everyone is TERRIFIED of another Spanish Flu pandemic of 1919-1920 which killed more people than WWI that the world had just emerged from. The USA had more Spanish Flu deaths than in WWI, WWII, and possibly even more than Civil War deaths.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:49 am The coronavirus is traceable to bats, which ended up in the open market in Wuhan. Apparently this one, nCoV-2019, is uniquely in bats and people. Has about a 3% mortality rate, so far, worse than most flu viruses, not as bad as some. It is related to SARS and MERS, but otherwise seems to be a whole new one.

And if Chinese officials aren't lying...Trump isn't President.

But there ARE effective control methods. Nigeria EFFECTIVELY shut down Ebola in 2014 from devastating Lagos. Other nations weren't able to be as effective.

Everyone is TERRIFIED of another Spanish Flu pandemic of 1919-1920 which killed more people than WWI that the world had just emerged from. The USA had more Spanish Flu deaths than in WWI, WWII, and possibly even more than Civil War deaths.
As a friend of ours said this weekend, she’s a Chinese doctor, people need to stop eating everything they see. LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.