Re: Another Philosophical Question: A Second Yellow Peril?

The United States, for some time now, has been moving in the direction of insanity due to growing economic inequality. Add a little virus of the airborne transmission type and it seems America is ready to go full coo-coo.

Asians in our country have finally joined the growing list of minority scapegoats list that long included Blacks, Latinos, Muslims, Jews, LGBTQ... Despite my own attempts at “woke-ness” and as a civil rights activist all my life there is still a visceral difference I feel now becoming a target of bigotry in America that we in the “model minority” have not been subject to in our lifetime (putting aside the Chinese Exclusion Act and the Japanese Internment Camps for a moment). This virus has changed sentiments against Asians as a whole. Now even other minorities have also turned their fear of the disease into hatred of Asians due to sheer ignorance and (economic?) stress. A social epidemic is sweeping America and the world in advance of the actual pandemic currently ravaging China and threatening the rest of Asia and Europe.

In the face of this rise in racism and bigotry against Asians, I sense my own challenge is not to fear being targeted when I am out and about in society. Unless there is complete breakdown of law and order, I will choose not to CC a gun (especially while here in CA) mainly due to my own concerns of escalation during a potential conflict with a stressed bigot. But maybe it is time for me and mine to carry pepper spray or something less-than-lethal to quell a potential physical attack.

In America:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m7fwrgEjmvE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=08QojgjUPiI

And in the World:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RdLJhzx7tJ4
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:46 pm The United States, for some time now, has been moving in the direction of insanity due to growing economic inequality. Add a little virus of the airborne transmission type and it seems America is ready to go full coo-coo.

Asians in our country have finally joined the growing list of minority scapegoats list that long included Blacks, Latinos, Muslims, Jews, LGBTQ... Despite my own attempts at “woke-ness” and as a civil rights activist all my life there is still a visceral difference I feel now becoming a target of bigotry in America that we in the “model minority” have not been subject to in our lifetime (putting aside the Chinese Exclusion Act and the Japanese Internment Camps for a moment). This virus has changed sentiments against Asians as a whole. Now even other minorities have also turned their fear of the disease into hatred of Asians due to sheer ignorance and (economic?) stress. A social epidemic is sweeping America and the world in advance of the actual pandemic currently ravaging China and threatening the rest of Asia and Europe.

In the face of this rise in racism and bigotry against Asians, I sense my own challenge is not to fear being targeted when I am out and about in society. Unless there is complete breakdown of law and order, I will choose not to CC a gun (especially while here in CA) mainly due to my own concerns of escalation during a potential conflict with a stressed bigot. But maybe it is time for me and mine to carry pepper spray or something less-than-lethal to quell a potential physical attack.

In America:

And in the World:
Americans? You mean white people are ready to go full coo-coo, right? I don't see anyone else on Fox throwing around racist garbage.

On Fox, it is called the “Commie cough” and you hear the claim that it was caused by Chinese people eating skunks.

The Washington Examiner "Chinese cat 'feasts' linked to virus ... Also known as a “skunk”."
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saw this in the news the AM.
San Francisco police arrested a man they say shot video of himself beating an older Asian man collecting recyclables and then posting it on social media. Police said they began an investigation Monday after being made aware of the video, which had been viewed millions of times, according to reports.

The video recorded the victim being struck Saturday afternoon in the back of the head and robbed of a cart full of recyclables, police said in a news release Thursday. A person recording the incident can be heard ridiculing the victim by telling him, "Go get your cans", and "I hate Asians".
On Thursday, officers arrested Dwayne Grayson, 20, in the case. He was booked on suspicion of robbery, elder abuse, a probation violation for a prior robbery conviction and a hate crime enhancement. Police said the crime was bias-related.

Grayson was on probation for a prior robbery conviction at the time of the incident. Police said a second suspect was being sought.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/san-francisc ... ing-arrest

Normally we see this when the economy is in the tank and one group accuses another of taking their jobs. Hope they throw the book at this kid.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

K9s wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:05 pm I guess they forgot to demonize Asians in the past few years of Trump, so they are making up for lost time. Dumbasses.
Well, don't forget the SecTrans is Asian-American...and married to the man upon whom the ENTIRE Trump regime is dependent on, and cannot make an enemy of: MoscowMitch.

If Mitch decides Trump Must Go he could easily marshal 20 GOP Senators to toss him. And, if knowing that actual removal was NOW possible, Trump would be the first Impeached twice.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:46 pm
K9s wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:05 pm I guess they forgot to demonize Asians in the past few years of Trump, so they are making up for lost time. Dumbasses.
Well, don't forget the SecTrans is Asian-American...and married to the man upon whom the ENTIRE Trump regime is dependent on, and cannot make an enemy of: MoscowMitch.

If Mitch decides Trump Must Go he could easily marshal 20 GOP Senators to toss him. And, if knowing that actual removal was NOW possible, Trump would be the first Impeached twice.
I think these guys are running scared. There was no bigger plan than steal, lie, and right-wing propaganda. When things get bad, they just do what they do.

If McConnell gets angry, he gets a primary opponent and/or mean tweets and Fox denouncement. 2021 is a whole different ballgame depending on the elections.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:58 pm
Bisbee wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:46 pm The United States, for some time now, has been moving in the direction of insanity due to growing economic inequality. Add a little virus of the airborne transmission type and it seems America is ready to go full coo-coo.

In America:

And in the World:
Americans? You mean white people are ready to go full coo-coo, right? I don't see anyone else on Fox throwing around racist garbage.

On Fox, it is called the “Commie cough” and you hear the claim that it was caused by Chinese people eating skunks.

The Washington Examiner "Chinese cat 'feasts' linked to virus ... Also known as a “skunk”."
Even though I belong to the safest demographic--big, old, ugly white guys--I'm in agreement with Bisbee's plan. Best to try and wind things down or avoid them altogether. Movement may be restricted temporarily, but all by itself, being an asshole should not get someone shot. If I see an obvious asshole, I just go the other way. For me, it's heightened situational awareness.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Unfortunately the Asians are being demonized as the yellow peril. When in fact we have the Orange Peril that should be demonized.

People of color and anybody that don’t follow the Trumper’s Creed of hate everybody that ain’t like we’uns is in danger.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Bisbee wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:58 am “This is a test, of the emergency broadcast system. If this had been an actual emergency you would be provided information and instructions for what to do...”

It’s coming folks. If panic sets in I fear our better angels may take flight and leave the Earth to lower instincts of implicit biases.
Thanks for the fishes.

Towel. Don't leave home without it!
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

There is a significant novel called "A Canticle for Leibowitz"; worth reading in these times. One discorurse stands out as relevant to today.

"Let's be frank with each other, Father. I can't fight the prince who makes my work possible—no matter what I think of his policies or his politics. I appear to support him, superficially, or at least to overlook him—for the sake of the collegium."

Too many share that sentiment.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:57 pm There is a significant novel called "A Canticle for Leibowitz"; worth reading in these times. One discorurse stands out as relevant to today.

"Let's be frank with each other, Father. I can't fight the prince who makes my work possible—no matter what I think of his policies or his politics. I appear to support him, superficially, or at least to overlook him—for the sake of the collegium."

Too many share that sentiment.
I can sympathize with the Governors who, on the one hand, need to save lives in their states and, on the other hand, must praise the WH to get any help. I remember hearing about underdeveloped countries with rulers who withheld food aid from areas that didn't support them. It was terrible and far away until Hurricane Maria. Now, it is a real WH policy to withhold food, water, medicine, and other aid to areas without Trump-praising politicians.

The WH is stealing supplies from states to make them comply. The WH uses their coerced "praise" to pretend they are doing a great job. They want everyone to blame brown, black, and Asian people and not the real problem - or starve for having principles.

This is absolute madness.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Way to go, Mike! Way to stir the pot to deflect anger and attention away from this administration’s failure to respond. I’m sure his words will do wonders for Asian Americans in the United States.

“Pompeo asserts ‘enormous evidence’ ties the virus to a Wuhan lab, a claim not backed yet by U.S. intelligence.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/worl ... -news.html
The U.S. secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, doubled down on President Trump’s assertions about the origins of the virus, saying on Sunday that “there’s enormous evidence” the coronavirus originated in a research laboratory in Wuhan, China, even while American intelligence agencies say they have reached no conclusion on the issue.

Mr. Pompeo was one of a number of administration officials and other public figures who appeared on Sunday morning news shows to discuss the coronavirus. A former C.I.A. chief and one of the administration’s most hawkish officials on China, he has repeatedly blamed China’s Communist Party for covering up evidence and denying American experts access to the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

The Chinese government has vigorously denied that the virus leaked from the laboratory, and at one point suggested the American military created it.

The Times reported on Thursday that senior Trump administration officials were pushing spy agencies to hunt for evidence to support the theory that the outbreak emerged from a Wuhan lab, and that some intelligence analysts feared the pressure would distort assessments, and that they could be used as a political weapon in an intensifying battle with China.

The same day, President Trump said he had a high degree of confidence that the laboratory was the source of the outbreak but when pressed for evidence said, “I’m not allowed to tell you that.”

Speaking during a virtual town hall meeting Sunday on Fox News, the president elaborated.

“Personally I think they made a horrible mistake,” he said. “They didn’t want to admit it. We wanted to go in but they didn’t want us there. World Health wanted to go in. They tried to cover it, they tried to put it out. It’s like trying to put out a fire.”

Mr. Trump also confirmed reports that his intelligence briefings addressed the virus even as he argued that it had not been presented in an alarming way that demanded immediate action.

“On Jan. 23 I was told that there could be a virus coming in but it was of no real import,” Mr. Trump said. “In other words, it wasn’t, ‘Oh, we’ve got to do something, we’ve got to do something.’ It was a brief conversation and it was only on Jan. 23. Shortly thereafter, I closed the country to China. We had 23 people in the room and I was the only one in the room who wanted to close it down.”

Mr. Trump was referring to his decision on Jan. 30 to limit travel from China, where the outbreak had started, a move that in fact was recommended by some of his advisers and came only after major U.S. airlines had already canceled flights. Some public health advisers have said the travel limits helped slow the spread to the United States but complained that the Trump administration did not use the extra time to adequately prepare by ramping up testing and medical equipment.

Mr. Trump also said during the town hall that a vaccine for Covid-19 would be available by the end of this year, but experts have said that it would take a year to 18 months.

The virus is still spreading in the United States, because efforts to contain it have been incomplete at best, public health experts warned on Sunday, saying that there were signs that the country may face a steady flow of new cases and deaths for many months to come.

Coronavirus case counts continue to rise in 20 states, including Illinois, Texas and Maryland, even as some states are beginning to relax restrictions, Dr. Scott Gottlieb, a former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, said on the CBS program “Face the Nation.”

U.S. INTELLIGENCESecretary of State Mike Pompeo tied the origin of the coronavirus to a lab in China, but intelligence agencies say they have not reached a conclusion on the issue.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi