Publix sued over sale of knife used in fatal Florida stabbing

Publix faces lawsuit after child fatally stabbed at BallenIsles home in Palm Beach Gardens
Attorneys claim Publix illegally sold the knife to Johnson just hours before the deadly attack. Attorney Elaine Simon and her son were also injured in the incident.

They say Publix has refused to change their “reckless policy of selling knives to underage buyers and has spurned law by intentionally failing to check identification before selling dangerous weapons to underage knife purchasers.”

In Florida, it is against the law to sell any weapons, including knives, to those under the age of 18.

Re: Publix sued over sale of knife used in fatal Florida stabbing

DispositionMatrix wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:40 pm Publix faces lawsuit after child fatally stabbed at BallenIsles home in Palm Beach Gardens
Attorneys claim Publix illegally sold the knife to Johnson just hours before the deadly attack. Attorney Elaine Simon and her son were also injured in the incident.

They say Publix has refused to change their “reckless policy of selling knives to underage buyers and has spurned law by intentionally failing to check identification before selling dangerous weapons to underage knife purchasers.”

In Florida, it is against the law to sell any weapons, including knives, to those under the age of 18.
if there is actually a florida law that requires stores to card people for knife sales, this might actually go somewhere. If not, I expect it to get thrown out with the first wave of motions. I don't know the law in the state of Florida however.

There are plenty of lawyers in the US ready to file a lawsuit.
Overall, the 2018 survey indicates a slight gain in the national lawyer population, rising 0.2 percent from 1,335,963 active resident attorneys on December 31, 2016 to 1,338,678 lawyers on the same day in 2017. A look at the 10-year trend in lawyer population also shows modest year to year increases since 2008, culminating in 2018 with an overall 15.2 percent gain in practicing U.S. lawyers over the decade.

Among other findings from the report, the top five areas with the largest number of active attorneys in residence are New York (177,035), California (170,044), Texas (90,485), Florida (78,244) and Illinois (63,422). The top five areas with the fewest resident attorneys are North Dakota (1,694), Virgin Islands (776), Guam (270), North Mariana Islands (128) and American Samoa (59).
https://www.americanbar.org/news/abanew ... a_reveals/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

khlavkalash wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:28 am
K9s wrote:America is the land of lawsuits. Remember hot coffee? Lawsuit. Plastic bags have warning labels.
The coffee thing was actually valid. The water was hotter than it should've been and they were warned to change it previously.
And knives are sharp. Should they be sold dull?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:17 pm
K9s wrote:America is the land of lawsuits. Remember hot coffee? Lawsuit. Plastic bags have warning labels.
The coffee thing was actually valid. The water was hotter than it should've been and they were warned to change it previously.
From before my days in the Boy Scouts of the 1960s I was taught a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:05 pm
From before my days in the Boy Scouts of the 1960s I was taught a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one.
Ugh. You know why, right? It isn't because it cuts deeper.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

More that knives are less prone to falling out of the packaging and sharp end into your leg than hot coffee is to spilling out of a cup. Everyone knows coffee is served hot unless specified, but you're not supposed to get burns over your legs if the cup spills. Yes it makes a mess and is really uncomfortable but having a hospital bill from a spilled cup is a problem and a liability. This wasn't "i burned my mouth on hot coffee." This was "i was hospitalized due to burns on my legs from the cup spilling."

Resume wrote:You really, really don't want to view the photos of that coffee burn.
Yeah I was thinking about linking it but it's not safe for life.

The jury found her 20% responsible, and it came up that McD knew it could be a potential issue.

The knife comment seems like a poor analogy. Besides, knives aren't sold blunt (except in London) but could likely be improved by a sharpening right out the box.