Bloomberg quietly plotting brokered convention strategy

I can't stand this dude.
Mike Bloomberg is privately lobbying Democratic Party officials and donors allied with his moderate opponents to flip their allegiance to him — and block Bernie Sanders — in the event of a brokered national convention.
The effort, largely executed by Bloomberg’s senior state-level advisers in recent weeks, attempts to prime Bloomberg for a second-ballot contest at the Democratic National Convention in July by poaching supporters of Joe Biden and other moderate Democrats, according to two Democratic strategists familiar with the talks and unaffiliated with Bloomberg.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/2 ... egy-116407

Re: Bloomberg quietly plotting brokered convention strategy

K9s wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:05 pm Bloomberg actually HAS money (unlike Trump) and he is much sneakier at using it. I hear more and more stories about how Bloomberg was able to get a third term as mayor despite term limits. He makes bribes seem so... legal.
Trump wants to spend other peoples money not his own including taxpayers money - our money. Forbes estimated Trump is worth $3.7 billion while Bloomberg is worth $54 billion. I have no doubt that Bloomberg is hiring the best advisers to block fellow New Yorker Trump from a second term. Bloomberg has his negatives such as the NDAs and Everytown, but Trump had a lot more and won in 2016. I also expect Bloomberg has the support of other millionaires and billionaires who are uncomfortable with Trump and Sanders.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Well, there isn't much to be said for Sander's record in congress. Check it out for yourself.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sanders ... e&ie=UTF-8

But that's not why I don't like him. Why I don't like him is because he lives in a glass house and throws boulders. I don't believe he really cares if trump has 4 more years to destroy the US government. The russians couldn't have picked a better foil for their nefarious deeds. Bloomberg isn't any better but the russians don't seem to think he needs any help.

But if Sanders is the nominee I'll vote for him since democrats and left leaning independents must unite to kick trump out. And the same should go for Sander's supporters if someone else is the nominee.

highdesert wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:39 am
K9s wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:05 pm Bloomberg actually HAS money (unlike Trump) and he is much sneakier at using it. I hear more and more stories about how Bloomberg was able to get a third term as mayor despite term limits. He makes bribes seem so... legal.
Trump wants to spend other peoples money not his own including taxpayers money - our money. Forbes estimated Trump is worth $3.7 billion while Bloomberg is worth $54 billion. I have no doubt that Bloomberg is hiring the best advisers to block fellow New Yorker Trump from a second term. Bloomberg has his negatives such as the NDAs and Everytown, but Trump had a lot more and won in 2016. I also expect Bloomberg has the support of other millionaires and billionaires who are uncomfortable with Trump and Sanders.
trump was able to motivate his base. bloomberg has no base to motivate.

bloomberg is spending stupid money on this race. he's sent me 3 pieces of mail and I don't even get a dem ballot...

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote:
highdesert wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:39 am
trump was able to motivate his base. bloomberg has no base to motivate.

bloomberg is spending stupid money on this race. he's sent me 3 pieces of mail and I don't even get a dem ballot...
He's been spamming me as well with direct mail- but I did switch from independent to Dem in 2016 to vote in the primary. Cheapest he could be getting that done for is probably $.40/home.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

senorgrand wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:59 pm trump was able to motivate his base. bloomberg has no base to motivate.

Trump built his base in 2015-2016, Bloomberg is building one now. I got my first piece of Bloomberg mail yesterday, I'm registered Independent (NPP). Bloomberg's is the first mailer I've gotten from any Dem presidential candidate - Indeps in CA can vote in the Dem primary. The Bloomberg mailer mentions Trump chaos in DC, his experience leading NYC post 911, his self funding so he's not beholden to special interests, his contributions to cancer and Alzheimer's research and a pledge to bring stability back to government. Nothing about his support for gun control and Everytown. Not difficult for them to find out I'm a Boomer so target issues that appeal to seniors, mailers to GenXers and Millennials would be different.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Stiff wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:15 am Sanders - Buttigieg FTW.
Sanders is unyielding and intractable. He'll never pick a running mate who might have neo-liberal tendencies. He calls his candidacy a movement.

trump calls his election to the presidency a movement too. This is bad news. Political "movements" never end well. They spell the end of the civil political party system and the start of a system based on violence, coercion, and intimidation.

harriss wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:35 pm
Sanders is unyielding and intractable. He'll never pick a running mate who might have neo-liberal tendencies. He calls his candidacy a movement.

trump calls his election to the presidency a movement too. This is bad news. Political "movements" never end well. They spell the end of the civil political party system and the start of a system based on violence, coercion, and intimidation.
Bloomberg? I can't see Sanders EVER picking Bloomberg as VP. He would need a Mid- or South-Western, or Southern running mate. He could either go centrist with a Buttigieg, or more left. I think the perfect choice is STILL Stacey Abrams.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

So... the Civil Rights movement has been a bad idea? Environmental movement candidates like Steyer really want violence and coercion?

Methinks you are painting with a broad brush. Or you fear soshulizm?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Are you talking about the same person who wholeheartedly endorsed Hillary when he lost the nomination? Bernie is stubborn, but he’s not incapable of reason.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Stiff wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:28 pm

Are you talking about the same person who wholeheartedly endorsed Hillary when he lost the nomination? Bernie is stubborn, but he’s not incapable of reason.
That doesn't fit the right-wing or corporate oligarch narrative, though. Facts are pesky and inconvenient.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt