Discord
Total votes: 5 (21%)
Slack
Total votes: 10 (42%)
Get off my lawn!
Total votes: 9 (38%)
Total votes: 24

Re: Discord or Slack

I'm no expert, but I have used both, and I prefer Slack, even considering it's two major downsides:

1) Unless we pay for it, Slack only retains recent posts. I think the number is the 10,000 most recent posts, but don't quote me on that. Whatever the number, the point is that Slack will not serve as an archive unless we pay for it, and my hunch is that LGC has nowhere near enough $ to pay what Slack charges per user per month.

2) Slack does not have moderation functions for individual posts. The only way to put a user in a penalty box is to kick them off the server entirely.

In my opinion, we should still choose Slack over Discord, but we should be aware of its limitations going in.

Well Discord does replace forums if you let it, and I'm not trying to suggest we split ourselves more than we already are on Facebook & forums now. The nice thing about the forums as they exist is our historical record. I like to go back for reference to the technical posts. A new chatty environment is guaranteed to take away some of the interaction on the things like Rainbows and Unicorns .

Frankly we probably need this badly. I do most of my interaction on voice comms and come to the forums much less frequently than I used to, and I'm near 70. I can't imagine what the 20 somethings think of forums. They probably think you are all grandoldies like me.

Discord is cheap and full featured. We could probably host a server on whatever server we use for the forums. Slack is serious business software and defaults to a secure environment, Discord is the opposite. Slack is very costly, either for the company or the user. With Discord we could host our own server for nearly free.

But whatever you decide, lets do it soon, I may catch Covid and not be here next week.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

Forums and chats are for different things. Forums are good for having in depth discussions about specific topics, since each discussion can get it's own thread that is easy to find and come back to. Chats like discord are better for real time conversation, but once something has scrolled off the screen it becomes difficult to refer back to.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

What they are for is clearly different. How they are both used is exactly the same - eyeball time. Eyeball time spent on one isn't available on the other.

And can I get my question about access answered? Personal message is fine.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

Here's a new invite link

https://discord.gg/mpSfEss

You will need to create an account to use it. Some people are saying it keeps asking for their telephone number, but others have been able to join without that. I don't know what causes the difference, but I'd suggest joining from a web browser on a PC if you have trouble signing up.
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:28 pm Here's a new invite link

https://discord.gg/mpSfEss

You will need to create an account to use it. Some people are saying it keeps asking for their telephone number, but others have been able to join without that. I don't know what causes the difference, but I'd suggest joining from a web browser on a PC if you have trouble signing up.
It's likely the phone number comes up if the person tries to "claim" the username.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

So I got on it last night using the Window App. When I tried to shut it down, I keep hearing people talking. So I logged out.
Now, when I start Discord...I can't find the LGC anywhere...closest is something called "laralgc"

This is seriously turning into a barren source of amusement!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:23 am So I got on it last night using the Window App. When I tried to shut it down, I keep hearing people talking. So I logged out.
Now, when I start Discord...I can't find the LGC anywhere...closest is something called "laralgc"

This is seriously turning into a barren source of amusement!
laralgc is a member - the national spokesperson.

When you open the windows app, there should be a vertical row of circular images on teh left side of the window. Each one of those is a "server" that you belong to. You probably only belong to one. The LGC image is kind of dark. Looks like it might be a revolver on a table, but I can't really tell. Click on that if you see it.
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed