Re: How’s the weather

featureless wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:10 pm
CDFingers wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:51 am Forecast has the next ten days all below 99. I'm not going to argue.

CDFingers
Yippee! I can't wait for it to below the century mark. My father in law has lived here his whole life and says this is, without question, the hottest summer he's ever experienced.

Strange weather this year down here. June was more like July with triple digits and July is more like August with the humidity. Not sure what August will be like, more triple digits ahead or more like a normal Sept weather with moderate temps? I can survive temps under the century mark.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I found out once again I can't do what I once did in this weather! Have to use my Poulan string mower for fence lines and under privacy fence. Had to spend about 45 min. doing some repairs (replace lost bolts for handle mount) and replace filter and screen on B&S engine. She fired right off and I made a pass around patio and privacy fence and around a bougainvillea bush and promptly almost passed out. Will make another attempt at sunset. Was in mid 80's with rh about same - sucked the sap outta me rather quickly. I expect August to be hell in central Texas and Sept. even worse.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I like to do any sweat producing work right after sunrise. I don't do much power tool work lately, just yard stuff like digging and clipping and planting. I'd changed the lawn some time ago to drought tolerant plants, so less noise it turns out.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

lurker wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:26 pm one of the features of heat prostration is that you don't think clearly. i do 20 or 30 mins outside, then take a break whether i think i need it or not. yesterday i rode the mower around before dark for 20 minutes, will likely do the same today.
Heat exhaustion can creep up on you, yes plenty of breaks and stay hydrated. Remember growing up a neighbor had a relative visiting from Ireland, he was young and was out working in their yard and he got dizzy and almost passed out, he wasn't used to our high temperatures.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

We consistently have snow birds and travelers from Europe come here and go hiking in the middle of the day without enough water. I see'm going up trail with one little water bottle. I tell them turn around or your going to die. Even in temps around 90F the desert is unforgiveable.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:58 pm We consistently have snow birds and travelers from Europe come here and go hiking in the middle of the day without enough water. I see'm going up trail with one little water bottle. I tell them turn around or your going to die. Even in temps around 90F the desert is unforgiveable.
See them over here too. Dry heat is deceptive for people who are used to high heat with high humidity. They aren't soaked with sweat so they don't think it's hot ,but they are sweating it just evaporates quickly. Flashing sign on a highway near here reminding hikers to carry a lot of water.

lurker wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:31 am gave myself a minor case of heat prostration yesterday evening, 15 minutes on a riding mower. i feel old(er) now.
I feel for you, lurker. WI native, but I tried to live in NC for 20 years and never got used to the summer heat. Back in WI now for the past 10 years, and it just feels hotter than ever lately. Air quality alerts here lately due to the fires out west.

Weather here is record heat, hazy skies with particulates and no rain. The world isn't ending. It just feels like it. Take care in the heat everyone.

highdesert wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:15 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:58 pm We consistently have snow birds and travelers from Europe come here and go hiking in the middle of the day without enough water. I see'm going up trail with one little water bottle. I tell them turn around or your going to die. Even in temps around 90F the desert is unforgiveable.
See them over here too. Dry heat is deceptive for people who are used to high heat with high humidity. They aren't soaked with sweat so they don't think it's hot ,but they are sweating it just evaporates quickly. Flashing sign on a highway near here reminding hikers to carry a lot of water.

Case on point.
A Massachusetts woman was found dead Friday afternoon after a hike at Camelback Mountain near Phoenix, Ariz., amid scorching heat, officials said.

The woman is believed to have been in her 30s and from the Boston area, Phoenix fire Captain Rob McDade told reporters at the scene Friday, according to video from ABC 15 in Phoenix.

The woman was found at about 4:40 p.m. off the Echo Canyon Trail near a home on the northeast side of the mountain, the Phoenix Fire Department said in a statement Friday.

She was found unresponsive “beyond resuscitative efforts and was pronounced deceased,” the statement read.

She appeared to not have water with her when she was found and was possibly attempting to seek help during the heat, McDade said. The National Weather Service in Phoenix said 104 degrees was the high for Friday.

“But at that point in time, [she] could have conceivably been in the early stages of heat exhaustion and heatstroke, where you become delirious, and unfortunately, your faculties are not about you,” McDade said.

The woman had arrived in town the day before, McDade said. She was hiking with a male companion who lives in the Phoenix area up Camelback Mountain, when she became overheated halfway up the trail and turned around to go to the parking lot, officials said. Her companion continued up the mountain.

Her companion told officials that he is very familiar with the mountain and “hikes it at this time of day all the time, from the top to the bottom,” McDade said.

The pair was set to meet up back at the parking lot, but when her companion got back down, her belongings were all in the car but she was not there, the fire department said. He called 911 at about 1 p.m. and teams began to search for her.

McDade said those who were searching got worried when they were told that she was visiting from out of town.

“With the information we were given that she was visiting from out of town, from Boston, or the Massachusetts area, unfamiliar with this terrain, unfamiliar, possibly, with hiking in these elements — that’s when we became concerned,” he said.

Round trip, the trail is about 2.5 miles long and is considered to be difficult — an expert level hike when taking into account environmental factors, McDade said in a telephone interview Sunday. He said when it gets hot — like Friday’s 104-degree weather — the level of difficulty is comparable to a double black diamond trail in downhill skiing.

“It’s very unforgiving, is the word I like to use. This mountain doesn’t care who you are, or how great of a hiker or an experienced hiker you are,” McDade said Friday. “The mountain, in a situation like that, usually wins.”

Under a pilot program launched last month in Phoenix, trails can be restricted or even closed during periods of excessive heat. Friday’s temperature was just shy of meeting that mark, McDade said Sunday.

“That day didn’t qualify — it missed it by like a degree,” he said. “So, there’s a possibility the mountain would have even been closed that day.”
He added that it’s important to never separate from your hiking group.

“If you have an inexperienced hiker from out of town, that person is overheated, you stay with them, you turn around, you return back down,” he said.

The incident remains under investigation by Phoenix police.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/08/01/ ... n-arizona/

Dry heat is deceptive.

We're likely to be smoked out for the next couple days due to wind direction. Ick. We've now got a town full of fire refugees again. We appear to be getting used to it. The coffee trucks are already at WalMart.

CDFingers

You poor folks are really getting beaten up this year with the wildfires. You're right featureless, the Diablo and San Ana winds haven't even started yet, I'm expecting that's where the wildfires will take off down here.
'
The Guardian has pictures of the Greenville fire.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/galle ... n-pictures

The Lake Oroville power plant shut down.
https://www.abc10.com/article/news/loca ... 572445aa85

Greenville, CA, old gold rush town by Lake Almanor. Gone.

on edit, Lake Oroville power plant shut down.
California shut down a major hydroelectric power plant at Lake Oroville as water levels fell near the minimum necessary to generate power, state water officials said.

It’s the first time the state has shut down the Hyatt Power Plant due to depleted water levels since the plant went into operation in 1967.

The loss of power could fuel even more rolling blackouts this summer as the state grapples with a historic drought and record-breaking heat waves.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/06/califor ... ought.html

CDFingers

People in the Pacific Northwest braced for another major, multi-day heat wave starting Wednesday, just over a month after record-shattering temperatures of up to 116 degrees contributed to the deaths of hundreds of the region’s most vulnerable people.

In a “worst-case scenario,” the temperature could reach as high as 111 degrees in some parts of western Oregon by Friday before a weekend cooldown, the National Weather Service in Portland, Ore., said this week. It’s more likely temperatures will rise above 100 degrees for three consecutive days, peaking around 105 degrees Thursday.

Those are eye-popping numbers in a usually temperate region and would break some all-time records if the late June heat wave hadn’t done so already, meteorologist Tyler Kranz said. Seattle will be cooler than Portland, with temperatures in the mid-90s, but it still has a chance to break records, and many people there, as in Oregon, don’t have air-conditioning.

“We’ll often hear people say, ‘Who cares if it’s 106 or 108? It gets this hot in Arizona all the time.’ Well, people in Arizona have air-conditioning, and here in the Pacific Northwest, a lot of people don’t,” Kranz said. “You can’t really compare us to the desert Southwest.”

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown has declared a state of emergency over the heat and activated an emergency operations center, citing the potential for disruptions to the power grid and transportation. City and county governments are opening cooling centers and misting stations in public buildings, extending public library hours and waiving bus fare for those headed to cooling centers. A statewide help line will direct callers to the nearest cooling shelter and offer tips on how to stay safe.
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... -heat-wave

No comparison between temps in SW and NW, humidity is a huge factor.

Those living in that area, please stay safe.

I the past 30 days I have seen 5 days where I could actually see some hints of blue sky. I gotta move the hell out of here, its like this every summer. I'm tired of living in a place where when summer comes, I can't go outside to enjoy that summer because I can't freaking breathe.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

People in the Pacific Northwest are getting the double whammy. What will kill you first the heat or the COVID?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Just watched a new video of rainfall in El Paso, TX. Appears to be east side of the mountains - slope down looks like a raging river. I lived on the west side in complex part way up mountains - actually watched huge boulders roll down street which was about 20 deg+ slope. Rare there but does happen.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Looks like high 90s through to the end of the month, but forecasts are educated guesses and nature does its own thing. Towards the end of August through to March are Summer and Santa Ana winds, they'll dry out already very dry vegetation.