Italy: Cool old violin attic find

A violin found in an attic in Italy has been confirmed as a priceless instrument made by Giuseppe Guarneri ‘filius Andreae’ in c.1705. The age of the wood was confirmed using dendrochronology, and the researchers were even able to prove it came from the same tree as the wood in an already-identified violin by the same maker.

Around 18 months ago Mauro Bernabei, a researcher at the Institute for BioEconomy at Italy’s National Research Council, received a WhatsApp message containing a photo of the unidentified violin, which the current owner had recently inherited. It contained a label reading ‘Joseph Guanerius Filuis Andreae Cremonae Sub Titulo S. Theresie, 1705’, but given the misspelling of ‘Filius’ it was assumed to be a fake label. All the same, Bernabei performed a dendrochronological examination on the spruce of the top, and discovered the most recent tree ring dated to 1696
https://www.thestrad.com/news/violin-fo ... 54.article

I'm sure someone's going to do the same thing with my old Martin D-35.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Italy: Cool old violin attic find

Llew wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:32 pm Martin D-35 costs almost as much as a Guarnari already.
$750 when I bought it new fifty years ago. It was made during the transition between Indian and Brazilian rosewood, so it has both represented in the three piece back. Brazilian is a bit browner; Indian, redder. Sounds like a velvet trumpet played by meadowlark.

What I dug about the violin story is the wood story, how they could date it and trace it to another violin from the same tree.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack