In need of a quick release scope mount

I've been looking around for a quick release scope mount for the AR so that I can use a scope or irons as I wish without have to remount and re zero each time. I've looked at 3 different mounts: American Defense Recon QD, Burris PEPR, and Bobro Engineering mount. If anyone has experience with any of these or have another suggestion, I would definitely like to hear it.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

Re: In need of a quick release scope mount

Fukshot wrote:The one-piece NightForce mounts look well done, but I can't say I have used any of these modern removable mounts. Claw mounts on an AR would definitely be unusual.
Nightforce doesn't have quick detach though. I asked their rep about it at the Safari expo and he said they didn't have any planned.
closetliberal wrote:I use the Burris mount and have found it close enough.

My understanding is the LaRue mounts are the best for this but at a price.
I've given LaRue some thought but the price is up there. How much does the zero change with the Burris?
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

M4Builder wrote:
closetliberal wrote:I use the Burris mount and have found it close enough.

My understanding is the LaRue mounts are the best for this but at a price.
I've given LaRue some thought but the price is up there. How much does the zero change with the Burris?
A click or two at most on the windage. Sometime not even that.

I like it and for the price, it is hard to beat.

I'm looking for a QD mount for my new AR scope. All of what I can find is that the standard QD mounts (many noted above) do not fit the scope I own. I am using a Nikon P223 fixed 3 power, which is short, and makes using The M223 (similar in size to the PEPR) impossible because the rings hit the bevel of the tube. I have purchased a set of the P223 rings which appear to clear my BUIS, but require the removal of the BUIS to install. Most of the rings I was able to obtain at Bass Pro were too short to clear my irons sights. The scope has a 1" tube.

Any help would be great. It's the fixed 3x32 not the 3-9 and the length between the rings on the QD mount is critical.

Thanks,
E pluribus unum

ErikO wrote:Aero Precision has an interesting quick release in 30mm and 1". I'll see if I can dig up any T&E reviews from folks I trust the opinion of.

Can't beat their price.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/product-cat ... ope-mounts

$85

I'm curious about the length between the rings. If you saw one of the Nikon 3x32 p223 scopes next to your average scope, you'd see how short the mounting dimensions are.
E pluribus unum

edfromnj wrote:I'm looking for a QD mount for my new AR scope. All of what I can find is that the standard QD mounts (many noted above) do not fit the scope I own. I am using a Nikon P223 fixed 3 power, which is short, and makes using The M223 (similar in size to the PEPR) impossible because the rings hit the bevel of the tube. I have purchased a set of the P223 rings which appear to clear my BUIS, but require the removal of the BUIS to install. Most of the rings I was able to obtain at Bass Pro were too short to clear my irons sights. The scope has a 1" tube.

Any help would be great. It's the fixed 3x32 not the 3-9 and the length between the rings on the QD mount is critical.

Thanks,
Hold your nose if you're a snob but I think this is what you are looking for. I have one and for the price it is fine. The mounting nuts are so large that is basically QR. A small Crescent wrench or Leather-man (I use the pliers on my giant Swiss army knife) has it off or on in seconds.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TU ... UTF8&psc=1
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Hold your nose if you're a snob but I think this is what you are looking for. I have one and for the price it is fine. The mounting nuts are so large that is basically QR. A small Crescent wrench or Leather-man (I use the pliers on my giant Swiss army knife) has it off or on in seconds.

Mason, that looks pretty good, and for what I've already sunk into it, a $15 set up might be able to sneak in under the radar.

Here are my questions, you use one of these? Are you using a thread compound for the rings? When I read all of the Amazon reviews it looks like people are having problems with the clearance. Did you have to do any modifications?
E pluribus unum

edfromnj wrote:
Mason wrote: Hold your nose if you're a snob but I think this is what you are looking for. I have one and for the price it is fine. The mounting nuts are so large that is basically QR. A small Crescent wrench or Leather-man (I use the pliers on my giant Swiss army knife) has it off or on in seconds.

Mason, that looks pretty good, and for what I've already sunk into it, a $15 set up might be able to sneak in under the radar.

Here are my questions, you use one of these? Are you using a thread compound for the rings? When I read all of the Amazon reviews it looks like people are having problems with the clearance. Did you have to do any modifications?
I have a Leapers scope mounted in mine and it fits but there is little clearance. Nikon's have a similar configuration but who knows if it will clear. You feelin' lucky?
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Im thinking of those, this might be the one.

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Strength-Pica ... ewpoints=1

Shinzen, the one you linked to was the low profile, which likely wont clear the BUIS, but I think this might work in the high configuration.

I think for now I'm going to use the P223 mounts I purchased and look at the QD for the future. I'll go ahead and assume I won't need QD any time soon, and any shooting I'm doing I'll be able to do with the 3x scope on there.

Thanks for the input guys
E pluribus unum

So I was able to find a one piece QD mount that featured an adjustable front ring that reduces the distance between the rings and then clamps with two hex head screws.

I was able to find this beautiful piece of chinese craftmanship for under $40. Hu-ray for cheaply imported goods and Gun shows.

I was going to post up a pic, but I just read that thread on how to take pictures and now feel completely inadequate.

Anyway, thanks for the input!
E pluribus unum

I've used one of these...
Screen Shot 2013-12-19 at 11.53.23 AM.png
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136229 ... cm_vc=U112

It isn't 'quick release' with a lever...it uses a couple of screw posts that tighten a clamp against a rail that are easily tightened and loosened with the aid of just about any small rod or dowel...but it is very repeatable and a whole lot cheaper than what the LaRue seems to be.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

M4Builder wrote:I've been looking around for a quick release scope mount for the AR so that I can use a scope or irons as I wish without have to remount and re zero each time. I've looked at 3 different mounts: American Defense Recon QD, Burris PEPR, and Bobro Engineering mount. If anyone has experience with any of these or have another suggestion, I would definitely like to hear it.
I have had some issues with ADM and don't care for them. Loved Larue but won't support that company anymore for political reasons. Bobro is very popular with the precision shooting crowd and that is a high endorsement. I no longer use QD mounts. Not because I am against them but frankly I don't need them. I use Warne Skel mounts on my AR's and one JP mount as well. I use off set red dots or irons as back ups so no need to remove the scope fast.

Pat