Primary Arms CR123A Battery Red Dot Sight review

Decided to try a new red dot from Primary Arms.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arm ... /pacrs.htm
I don’t currently have a limited rifle set up and was looking for a cheaper alternative to an Aimpoint or an Eotech on Primary Arms web site This caught my eye. It is advertised with a life time warranty and a 50,000 hour battery life from a single 123 battery. The sight also had a 2 moa dot something I wanted. I was thinking about just getting an Aimpoint Pro but that was considerably more expensive. I am glad I gave this optic a try.
I mounted it on my Noveske Rogue Hunter.

The strangest thing happened after I mounted it on my Noveske and took it to the range. I did not have to zero the rifle. It was dead on for 100 yards with my load. I will take that kind of luck. I like the integral throw lever mount for this optic. It feels secure. I tightened it down pretty tight like I usually do with mounts like these. I like how the adjustment caps are tethered down so you won’t lose them. I also like the push button on switch and the up and down buttons for intensity. One thing I wish it did have was a memory of the last setting it was on. The way it is now you have to start for the bottom each time you turn it on. I personally would have rather it did not have an 8 hour turn off. But that is my preference. The dot was crisp and bright.

I plan on shooting this set up in the next few matches in our production division. Up here in Alaska we changed limited so you had to use a pump, pistols have to be loaded with 10+1 rounds and rifles can only have 30 round mags and red dots or irons. We will see how it holds up but based on my experience with other PA products I bet it will be great. I only have a few rounds through it at this point but those few have been good. At $170 bucks it seems like a good entry level red dot sight.

Re: Primary Arms CR123A Battery Red Dot Sight review

SailDesign wrote:I have one of their HoloSun sights on a little Ruger. Lovely (tiny!) 2MOA simple sight. No off button, just turns off after while, then on again with movement.

Sadly, I can't find it on their site any more.

Edit: Here it is: http://www.primaryarms.com/Holosun_Para ... hs403a.htm :)

I have one of those and for around nine months it was a fantastic sight. But recently the motion sensor crapped out. It still turns off after 8 hours but it won't come on again without pressing a button (no matter how I hard I shake it). This defeats the whole purpose of the sight for me (that I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn it on). It is still under warranty so the odds are good that they'll fix it but my confidence in it is gone. Mostly likely from now on I'll only buy RDSs that can be left on all the time.
"Guns themselves are fairly robust; their chief enemies are rust and politicians." Geoffrey Boothroyd

Re: Primary Arms CR123A Battery Red Dot Sight review

I have this Holosun as well as this PA Advanced Series Red Dot and I haven't had any issues yet. But I also haven't run my guns very hard lately either. Next week I'll be in Texas and my long guns are going with me, I'm going to try and run both of them hard and see if I can't shake anything loose. And yes, primary arms has a fantastic warranty program. My first advanced series red dot would not adjust for windage, I contacted them and within about 4 days I had a brand new one in my hands, with extra batteries that was hand set up by their qc department, and a return label/box for the old one.