I'm such a nerd

Because it exists of course, I had to order one. Not because of posterity and taking photos, but instead because it would be nice to have an lcd display on my spotting scope. Might make for decent bird photos too.. Basically it is an adapter to hook your phone up to your spotting scope/microscope/binoculars. Vacation combined with having to be laid up for a day or two after a visit to the podiatrist is not good for online shopping.

https://www.phoneskope.com/
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: I'm such a nerd

Damnit!! Couldn't have seen that shell bag before I ordered a totally inferior one! And the lunch bag is freaking awesome. You are killing me here.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

That's doing it all wrong. You're supposed to buy a DSLR and 600mm lens and hook it up to a laptop and use that as your spotting scope.

You won't get any quality with that setup.
"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather

Despite the recommendation for the digital self loading rifle, the phone scope came in today. It's pretty cool actually. Point of note, use the zoom on the phone to eliminate the black ring going from the rectangle of your phone to the round field of view on the spotting scope. As a bonus, it doubles your zoom, which is pretty cool.
- Maya Angelou

Attachments
12x on the scope, 2x on the phone
12x on the scope, 2x on the phone
Same as above
Same as above
Same shot going to 36x on the scope, 2x on the phone
Same shot going to 36x on the scope, 2x on the phone

I can probably swing something of the sort anyway. That would mean either taking the wifey to the range or taking my work phone. One is far more likely than the other :laugh:
- Maya Angelou

I think I might. In fact the primary reason I got it.. Although it will also be cool for moon shots like I got the other night that was a real pain in the keister to line up without the doodad to mount it on the scope.
- Maya Angelou

Got to try this setup today. The quality of your spotting scope and phone camera will determine the efficacy of this particular setup. With my el-cheapo firefield, it's good out to about 50-75 yards, but 100 is rough for smaller calibers- have to use the digital zoom on the phone in conjunction with the optical zoom on the scope, which made it too grainy that far out.

That said, using the 2x zoom from the phone so you don't have the round circle from the spotting scope, 36x looks pretty good. It is fantastic for checking out how the round of shooting went.

All but one of the pics I grabbed today at the range of my targets were through the phone skope setup. They turned out well.
- Maya Angelou

Attachments
2014.09.20 AR 77gr Workup.jpg
phoneskope.jpg
phoneskope at bench.jpg

Update. Figured out what my issue was with the 100 yard thing- little adjustment on focus and the phone was able to pull it in at 4x with no issues. With a better scope, it would do even better.
- Maya Angelou