Re: Scope recommendations for AR

I had a nikon on mine and when I put a red dot (aim point pro) it was like an awakening. Never put a scope on anything that doesn't shoot real far ever again. The aim point pro is a little pricy but cabelas and bass pro have cheaper red dots that work fine. A scope or red dot is like anything the more you spend the nicer they get.
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! The Dude.
Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap - Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled

I hear good things about this nikon, and practically everybody sells them

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-P-223-3x32- ... nikon+p223

For low cost but great red dot choices if you go that route check out primary arms, they have quite a few options with good quality (especially at that price, and a great warranty).

Also they have a 2.5x and 4x fixed prismatic that are supposed to be good, but they are above your price range.

I use a Nikon P-223 and it works well for close in <100 and a little further out ≥ 150, 200 yards is doable for me but anything more I need to work on. I got mine for $149 including the mount.

Another alternative with a built in red dot is the Vortex Crossfire II Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm with the V-Brite reticle, it's usually around $200 but I've seen them drop to the $150 range when on sale.

I own both the Lucid M7 and HD7 RDS, they run in $150-200 range and accept a 3x magnifier. What I like best about them is they provide 100s of hours of run time using a AAA battery. The only way to beat that is with an Aimpoint PRO when you catch it on sale.

Primary Arms has a good site for viewing many sight options. Their prices may not be the best, most of the sights are available on Amazon for comparison.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Lucid_s/6610.htm
some days, I just don't English

I love my P-223 fixed 3x.... The problem I have with the fixed 3x P-223 is that it is a short scope, that will not fit many of the "out of the box" QD scope mounts. You are limited to 2 piece scope mounts, unless you stumble upon a scope mount that is adjustable distance between the rings.

I found one from a local guy at the gun show. I like it.

I got that Nikon for $99 on black friday.

It is really tight.

Lots of people also like red dots.

I like my Nikon.
E pluribus unum

ErikO wrote:Something to consider with Primary Arms, if anything goes wrong they will make it right 100%.
I second the Primary Arms Optics. Trying to get under $100 for optic and rings with any sort of quality is very difficult.

I recommend the following:
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arm ... ps1-6x.htm

Yeah, it $270 before shipping but it comparable to a lot of the $500 and $700 optics on the market. It is 1-6 power, which is great for most AR work.

Though, you can cut the price down by going with the 1-4X power version of the same thing.

But in all honesty, a $100 budget for any sort of quality optic isn't really happening unless you want just a red-dot.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, it is morally treasonable to the American people." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Given your constraints, I, too, would recommend the Nikon P-223 3x32 BDC. My wife and I run Nikon scopes on our elk rifles and love them.

Personally, I was looking at the Bushnell AR 1-4x24 and an American Defense Manufacturing QD mount for my Stag Arms Model 8. It's on my list...with about a 1000 other things.

http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rifle- ... w-down-pcl

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing ... roduct/11/

I recently scored the Bushnell AR 1-4x and Burris QD PEPR for a combo deal under $130(!!!) after two rebates for my 300BLK. Sighted in last Saturday and was thrilled after only using iron sights. I like cross hairs over red dots, but I'm not clearing rooms or anything like that, just trying to punch holes and such. It's a little heavier than some of the others, and the PEPR is no light weight either, but they work and leave room for BUIS and nice adjustment for eye relief. Will see how well the PEPR QD returns to zero this weekend and claimed...
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...

foghorn wrote:I recently scored the Bushnell AR 1-4x and Burris QD PEPR for a combo deal under $130(!!!) after two rebates for my 300BLK. Sighted in last Saturday and was thrilled after only using iron sights. I like cross hairs over red dots, but I'm not clearing rooms or anything like that, just trying to punch holes and such. It's a little heavier than some of the others, and the PEPR is no light weight either, but they work and leave room for BUIS and nice adjustment for eye relief. Will see how well the PEPR QD returns to zero this weekend and claimed...
That looks like if your nose was on the charging handle your eyeball would be on the glass.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

:love: the wood Ar furniture..

I got a fixed 4x AR optic for around $70.00 from ebay store Delta Hunting supply.

Pros: integral mount, illuminated chevron reticle with BDC markings, bright and clear optics..cheap!

Cons: Not very compatible with BUIS. I have not spent a lot of time really testing this, but to get get decent eye relief i have to scoot the scope all the way back on my top rail. However once I have completed a lower with an adjustable carbine stock I will try out the "nose to the charging handle" position to see how far I can scoot the scope forward to fit BUIS.

Once it comes out and when I feel like spending some cash on an AR optic I want to get the new Lucid 4x optic. For AR shooting with low power optics, the chevron reticle seems to allow better shot placement than the other cheap scopes with Mil dot reticles. IMHO. On the mil dot scope I tried, the dots seem to obscure target centers at 100 yards and I don't like that.

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

senorgrand wrote:Glad this thread was resurected. I was considering a Vortex Crossfire 3-12×56 for my 17 wsm build. I like that it dials down to x3 and has a lighted reticle. I was going to supplement with a Burris red dot mounted at a 45 off the top rail.

Thoughts?
I have 2 Vortex scopes, a Diamondback and a Viper, and have been extremely happy with both. The Diamondback has lived a rough life on my primary hunting rifle and has been bulletproof. I can't speak for that model, but Vortex makes a good product with the best warranty in the business.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
John A. Shedd

senorgrand wrote:Glad this thread was resurected. I was considering a Vortex Crossfire 3-12×56 for my 17 wsm build. I like that it dials down to x3 and has a lighted reticle. I was going to supplement with a Burris red dot mounted at a 45 off the top rail.

Thoughts?
Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x40 with the FireDot: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... r_mod.html. I've been very happy with it. It looks like you can get the Mil Dot and Duplex reticles on B&H for about $300 without the illumination.

On my AR-10 I put a Sightron SIII 10x42, though its not illuminated. I like the Sightron scopes; they have nice clear optics and seem like a good value overall. The place I purchased it from seems to have changed its name and/or owner and the price is lower by about $15: http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Sightron-S ... 13510.html

The other AR had the Nikon P223 3x32, but I swapped it for an EOTech.

It looks like these raise the bar on price again and to be fair I don't use them outside the bench at the range and so far not over 100 yards, so... I also don't have experience with Vortex scopes, so I can't compare.