Re: Need some AR iron sight guidance

edfromnj wrote:"Don't mount on Gas Block" I believe has to do with height. I think the gas block and the continuous picatinny rail are at different heights.

I use Diamond Head sights. they are pricey, but I really love the way they line up the diamond and the square make for really fast acquisition.
I too use Diamondhead USA sights but as Ed said rather pricey.

Ed did bring up a good point. You can mount on a gas block so long as its design for the same plane (heights to match with your rear sight). For example, on mine, I didn't want to buy the correct front sight to mount on my gas block because I wanted the flexibility to use these rather expensive sights on other ARs I might get in the future which might have free float handguards. So I bought a spacer that brought it up to the right height. They work great and are Absolute Cowitnessed with my Vortex Strikefire.

The other reason why they might say not to mount on a gas block would be due to it being made of plastic vs polymer. There are two camps. Ones that think this is all bullshit and ones that swear they will melt. I think so long as you aren't doing mag dumps through your AR you should be fine with polymer on gas block. They are cheap compared to the for example my front sight flip up metal Diamondhead USA sights. So try it out.

Catalyst

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

I've used the UTG- they work just fine. Metal, and the flip up ones are a little clunky compared to some of the other options, but they certainly do the job. And they are cheap. I had an old set of the Magpul flips, wasn't super thrilled as they didn't lay completely flat and the rear diopter would flop around on me, but there's a possibility I suppose that the shop I purchased them from got fakes or something.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

The thing about the flip up sights is that they do not follow the KISS principle... So if you are buying cheap sights, I'd avoid the flip ups. If you really want flip ups, spend a little more coin.

BUIS are a novelty on my rifle.... I have a Nikon 3x that is the perfect little scope for this rifle. For the cost of decent flip up BUIS you can get a red dot or a fixed 3x scope and rings.

Or you can get cheap-o chinese knock offs for $20 and see if they melt, or break a spring, or get bent... The factory sights on my AR broke after a month (Some cheapo A2 rear sight) and I could no longer adjust for windage and the thing was shooting way left. That's when I got the Diamond head sights and they are rock solid... but again... they mostly stay folded under the Nikon scope that is half the cost of the diamond head sights (with rings)

*If you are interested in a Nikon 3x fixed P223... dont get the P223 rings. I got a UTG detachable adjustable riser for $20 and it's better than any of the nikon rings because of the shortness of the fixed 3x scope.
E pluribus unum