Hunting Scope recommendations

I am working on my 308 bolt gun build and need some advice on scope recommendations.

This would be for punching paper...mostly at 100y, with 200y shots once in a blue moon.

It will also be for hunting pigs. Need something that will work at 50 to 150 yards.

I was thinking of a 2-7 or even a 1-6 scope, maybe something with an illuminated reticle for shooting at dusk.

Given that 308 is pretty flat between 50 and 150 yards, I don't think a BDC reticle is necessary, but I'm certainly open to it.

Thanks!

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Hunting Scope recommendations

Given what you're saying, perhaps consider a fixed magnification scope. While the variables are much better than they used to be, you can still get a better fixed mag scope for the same money. I love my modern production Weaver K4 and the K6 is really nice as well. The K4 is about $130 and I find it a really nice hunting scope in the range limits you're talking about.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

wlewisiii wrote:Given what you're saying, perhaps consider a fixed magnification scope. While the variables are much better than they used to be, you can still get a better fixed mag scope for the same money. I love my modern production Weaver K4 and the K6 is really nice as well. The K4 is about $130 and I find it a really nice hunting scope in the range limits you're talking about.

really, the k4 is only $130? Damn. I have an original version k4 weaver from my dad, I was hoping it would a little more valuable. I have it on my Savage 340E hornet right now. He had it on a Remington 270.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Current production with an aluminum tube. I'd bet an old steel one would sell for more at auction or gun show.

Thing is the new ones work just as well :whistle: OTOH if i had an old one that was working, I'd keep it :cool:
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I really like my Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44. It does all the things you mentioned very well. No illuminated reticle, but I have never not been able to see it during legal shooting hours. Not the cheapest option, but it can be found on sale, and their warranty is the best in the industry IMHO.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
John A. Shedd

Mohead wrote:I really like my Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44. It does all the things you mentioned very well. No illuminated reticle, but I have never not been able to see it during legal shooting hours. Not the cheapest option, but it can be found on sale, and their warranty is the best in the industry IMHO.
Vortex makes some nice quality 4x9x40 scopes that you can occasionally find for under $200.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Odd, I thought the Redfield adjustments were mush (as well as Weaver)

Nothing wrong with vortex except they are a bit heavy.

If the budget allows, consider a Leupold VX3; that's the lowest level I'd ever go. The 1 and 2 are junk imo - again, mushy.

Nikon entry level scopes are good and Bushnell mid-upper range is good too. I'd probably get one of these two.

You know, for several decades millions of deer were successfully killed with no problems by low cost scopes. Kmart sold millions of Tascos that were used to claim millions of pounds of dear meat .

And Im sure many people who shoot 100-200 yard paper targets occasionally with deer rifles dont all have the best of the best rifles or scopes. Im one of them ..

Im all for buying the best you can, but unless you have the money, why not buy what you need?

I know when people have the money, they dont usually think like someone who doesnt have it.

Will it work for what I want. Can I afford it ?

I mean, why buy a $50 East wing hammer when the harbor freight $8 hammer does the same job for what you want.

Just my philosophy.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

In general I agree. Cheap scopes 10-20 years ago I think were made better than they are today. The adjustments today are way too mushy for my liking. How you do know you made 10 clicks when you can't feel or hear them... :blink:

The OP had a budget of like 600-700 dollars for the rifle if I recall right. No sense putting a 50 dollars BSA on it. I think 150-200 dollars would be appropriate.

dandad wrote:You know, for several decades millions of deer were successfully killed with no problems by low cost scopes. Kmart sold millions of Tascos that were used to claim millions of pounds of dear meat .

And Im sure many people who shoot 100-200 yard paper targets occasionally with deer rifles dont all have the best of the best rifles or scopes. Im one of them ..

Im all for buying the best you can, but unless you have the money, why not buy what you need?

I know when people have the money, they dont usually think like someone who doesnt have it.

I mean, why buy a $50 East wing hammer when the harbor freight $8 hammer does the same job for what you want.

Just my philosophy.

I have found that, at least for the last decade or so, the difference for me has been durability. My last couple of cheap scopes have died fairly quickly as a result of moisture, fogging, freezing, or just coming apart. I don't remember that happening with the Tasco and Bushnell scopes of my youth.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
John A. Shedd

Mohead wrote:
dandad wrote:You know, for several decades millions of deer were successfully killed with no problems by low cost scopes. Kmart sold millions of Tascos that were used to claim millions of pounds of dear meat .

Just my philosophy.

I have found that, at least for the last decade or so, the difference for me has been durability. My last couple of cheap scopes have died fairly quickly as a result of moisture, fogging, freezing, or just coming apart. I don't remember that happening with the Tasco and Bushnell scopes of my youth.
Valid point here. I forgot the budget, so that makes a difference. You guys are right, no hard click to hear turns, and since i don't hunt i didn't experience the problems, so i didn't even consider those things.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more