Red dot v traditional scope

Haven't had optics on a rifle for a couple of decades, and as I understand it, things have changed.

For sentimental reasons I'm going to keep my moms old 10/22, clean it up and get it set up for some mid distance shooting. Way back in the day I had a scope on my Nylon 66 but was never fond of it, I've had folks suggest a red dot instead... since I know little about such things, would someone care to share their thoughts?

If it is of consequence, I wear glasses and have crap eyesight these days (need cataract surgery).

Re: Red dot v traditional scope

senorgrand wrote:Red dot then. Try before you buy. I had a Bushnell, but found the coated optics too dark for indoor use. YMMV.

Also, reviews on Optics Planet and Amazon are your friend!
Thanks!

I can't figure out what a red dot is exactly, it's not a scope, right? Does it just make the target easier to spot?

Queen wrote:
senorgrand wrote:Red dot then. Try before you buy. I had a Bushnell, but found the coated optics too dark for indoor use. YMMV.

Also, reviews on Optics Planet and Amazon are your friend!
Thanks!

I can't figure out what a red dot is exactly, it's not a scope, right? Does it just make the target easier to spot?
They project a holographic reticle onto a clear surface so that the dot is pointing at point of aim regardless of what angle is viewed at. It removed the step if having to line up sights when shooting. That and it's easier for old or in my case horrible eyes to see.
In Solidarity.

In your situation I would go with a lightweight low power scope, preferably with illumination. Red dot sights are not magnified, so they don't help to see the target better. They are designed for fast acquisition and to help in low-light conditions. Unless you're trying to shoot a fast moving object, a scope is better. A 3X-4X scope still gives you a good sized field of view at 30 yards.

This is what I have on my 10/22
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UGIMNQ/re ... qybD5THXYZ
Glad that federal government is boring again.

They have their niche use - up close and when shooting dark targets. You get a full field of view for the quickest target acquisition which beats trying to find a moving deer at 10 yards with 4x. If hunting black bear on bait at last light, you would want something which projects red instead of black. I like the red dots for hunting with my crossbow and very informal plinking, such as kicking soda cans with a 22.

There are some big cons though. Most of the red dots are made with a built in aluminum mount. You would have to be very careful not to over-tighten it and you may (likely) find it won't hold a zero as well as a scope with steel mounts/rings. Another problem would be accidentally keeping the thing turned on and killing the battery. That's not a problem at the range so long as you have a spare, but that could be a very big problem if you were hunting (even if you did have a spare). Finally, another problem is they won't be as accurate as a scope because the dot is larger than the crosshair. This will get worse the further out you are - at 100 yards the dot may cover the entire target. If you want precision shooting, even at 25 yards, you would be better off with a scope.

They can be pretty cheap. You could try it to see if you like it and only be out 50 bucks. You may want to upgrade though.

For general fun shooting with a 10/22 at thirty yards, I would recommend a red dot. Fast target acquisition, heads up shooting. You can start with a cheap one to try it. Heck, I had one lying around that I would send you but recently gave it away. I use Sightmarks on my lightweight Kidd 10/22s and they are great.

Queen wrote:
senorgrand wrote:Does it just make the target easier to spot?
The target should look the same. The magic is that you only have to align two things (dot and target), not three (front rear and target) and the depth of field problem pretty much goes away.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote:
Queen wrote:
senorgrand wrote:Does it just make the target easier to spot?
The target should look the same. The magic is that you only have to align two things (dot and target), not three (front rear and target) and the depth of field problem pretty much goes away.
And you can easily shoot with both eyes open.

I like collimator sights because of my astigmatism. Also because you get different colours and target reticles - my personal favourite is the Russian PK "T" reticle.

Low magnification scopes can also be fun - a x1.5 or x2 scope with a crisp reticle can add a lot of fun to your shooting.

Tritium or illumination for the scope is cool in low light - though I rarely get the change to use mine in those conditions, tbh.
The Drop Bear, Thylarctos plummetus, is a large, arboreal, predatory marsupial related to the Koala.

The nice thing is, the red dots for a 22 won't need to be horribly fancy. I will note, a couple of weeks ago when I was working at the range, there were two TruGlo failures in one afternoon- both related to holding zero and the locking system not holding together well causing a loose fit. Easy fix, but the shooter was frustrated as his shots kept going off target.

Less recoil on a 22 and some loctite should keep it in place though.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Marlene wrote:Nice iron sights might be an upgrade worth considering too. Tech Sights makes some very nice stuff for the 10-22.
Excellent suggestion.
We picked up a 10-22 for my grandson last year & wanted to start him off 'properly', so we installed a set of iron sights styled after the M-14's & the kids seemed to be defying the laws of physics by being dead on at 25/50, 100 & even 200 yards.
We were using 18" round steel plates at 100 & 200 yds & just counted anything that went "ding" as a hit. (I can barely see the dang plate at 200 yds)
Heck of a thing, it's still bugging the crap out of me :blink: 'cuz I know it's not supposed to be doing that... :see_stars:

That being said; when shopping for red dots, there's a big difference in dot size among the different brands & models, try to find something that maintains a smaller dot at distance, it's a place to start, at least... and some magnification wouldn't hurt.

You could also consider an illuminated reticle scope internally graduated for the .22 round, some even have swappable turrets for different weight .22 bullets. Sportsmans Guide out of MN has an inexpensive assortment of sighting options with pretty reliable reviews, it's worth a look.
https://www.thumbknuckle.beer
https://www.facebook.com/ThumbKnuckleBrewingCo/

:beer2: