Re: Scope for .22 precision rifle

My uncle, at the age of 80 in 2010, won the Angelina Rifle and Pistol Club - USBR Match "Limited and Un-Limted" small bore classes in the same year using a LEUPOLD BR36X AO scope on his custom built BR 22lr rifle - down here on the farm, we are old school and when talking "precision" scopes it don't ever get better than LEUPOLD. I've seen them on Ebay for $400 before and here's a factory re-freshed one on there now - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-BR-36X- ... Swt5hYayAO.

shinzen wrote:After having a 36x fixed power scope, I can't see doing it again unless you will only be shooting at 100 yards- the very limited FOV makes them a bear for getting on target at long ranges.
Small bore comps there are 50 yards with a bullseye smaller than the 22 bullet diameter itself and if any part of the black is showing it's a 9 not a 10 count, sometimes ya just need the right tool for the job........ ;)

spara wrote:I ended ordering a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14x44mm with Mil-Dot Reticle for a good price. Can't wait to start shooting the little Savage Mark II.
How are you liking that Bushnell? It was in the top 3 on my list, but I ended up with the Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42. I'll be building another "precision" 10/22 soon and I really like trying different scopes. The Bushnell was priced much better than the Vortex, and the close-range ability of the side-focus/parallax is a major advantage (though the Vortex does go down to 30 yards and at lower magnifications you're definitely fine at 25 yards). I have extremely high regard for the Vortex warranty and in the end that's what pushed me to the Diamondback HP. But that Bushnell might be perfect for the next one...

Zo

- edited to check the "Notify me when a reply is posted" option.

Zoanyway wrote:
spara wrote:I ended ordering a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14x44mm with Mil-Dot Reticle for a good price. Can't wait to start shooting the little Savage Mark II.
How are you liking that Bushnell? It was in the top 3 on my list, but I ended up with the Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42. I'll be building another "precision" 10/22 soon and I really like trying different scopes. The Bushnell was priced much better than the Vortex, and the close-range ability of the side-focus/parallax is a major advantage (though the Vortex does go down to 30 yards and at lower magnifications you're definitely fine at 25 yards). I have extremely high regard for the Vortex warranty and in the end that's what pushed me to the Diamondback HP. But that Bushnell might be perfect for the next one...

Zo

I haven't shot it past 25 yards, but the glass is clear, parallax adjustment goes down to 20, and the reticle is clean and simple. The only cons are that the turrets can be a tad mushy and it weighs a lot, but that's ok for a bench rest rifle. It does it job without me struggling with it so I'm pretty happy.

spara wrote:
Zoanyway wrote:

Zo

I haven't shot it past 25 yards, but the glass is clear, parallax adjustment goes down to 20, and the reticle is clean and simple. The only cons are that the turrets can be a tad mushy and it weighs a lot, but that's ok for a bench rest rifle. It does it job without me struggling with it so I'm pretty happy.
Nice. I remember now that the 3-12x Vortex is also quite a bit smaller/lighter. But I still may consider that Bushnell for the 10/22 I'll be building for my son's 22nd birthday. Thanks for sharing your experience/opinion.