Anyone at LGC pairing a 3X magnifier with their red dot?

Recently got all turgid about shooting my AR-15 at distance. Really tweaked the red dot for MPBR (Maximum Point Blank Range) and started pushing distance for accuracy. I have a Vortex Strikefire II red dot and out to 100 yards now (maybe 150) it *is* a tack driver. Fast target acquisition with both eyes open even with the dot being 4 MOA. At ranges beyond that I'm wondering if the red dot will serve just as well as a variable scope as I'm not finding reticles that really trip my trigger. So I'm considering pairing a Vortex VMR-3T to give 3X magnification of the existing dot and target image.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... -magnifier

It's got a swing out mount so I can ditch the magnifier and go to my absolute co witnessed flip up sights in a hurry or go to just the 1X red dot. There are other magnifiers out there but I'm really stuck on Vortex now because of their "bang for the buck" and the Lifetime warranty. Has anyone at LGC paired their red dot with a magnifier and is it an advantage?

Any input or ideas appreciated in advance!

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Re: Anyone at LGC pairing a 3X magnifier with their red dot?

VodoundaVinci wrote:Recently got all turgid about shooting my AR-15 at distance. Really tweaked the red dot for MPBR (Maximum Point Blank Range) and started pushing distance for accuracy. I have a Vortex Strikefire II red dot and out to 100 yards now (maybe 150) it *is* a tack driver. Fast target acquisition with both eyes open even with the dot being 4 MOA. At ranges beyond that I'm wondering if the red dot will serve just as well as a variable scope as I'm not finding reticles that really trip my trigger. So I'm considering pairing a Vortex VMR-3T to give 3X magnification of the existing dot and target image.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... -magnifier

It's got a swing out mount so I can ditch the magnifier and go to my absolute co witnessed flip up sights in a hurry or go to just the 1X red dot. There are other magnifiers out there but I'm really stuck on Vortex now because of their "bang for the buck" and the Lifetime warranty. Has anyone at LGC paired their red dot with a magnifier and is it an advantage?

Any input or ideas appreciated in advance!

VooDoo
I use a Holosun Holosun Paralow HS503G Red Dot Sight - ACSS Reticle (SKU: HS503G-ACSS) that I bought from Primary Arms. I highly recommend Primary Arms its local here in Texas.

Then I bought a swing to the side 3x Magnifer from Primary Arms. Works well but I haven't really put it to the test.

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

Pairing a magnifier with a red dot works well and it will allow you to hit mid-range (300-600 yards) targets faster and more accurately. Common issues are with the reticle itself, parallax, and holdovers.

Bigger dots inherently allow for less precision; and at ranges past 400, the difference of 2 to 4 MOA means a difference of 8-16 inches. A chevron reticle, like the one in the Holosun 503G, allows for finer aiming since the point of the chevron is infinitely small. The 1MOA dot at the center of an Eotech allows for finer aiming as well simply due to the size of the dot.

Parallax can be an issue if you're not getting a consistent cheek weld. Parallax on a red dot is minimimal, but when you combine two optics, inconsistency in your hold can cause misses downrange. The Eotech sights are slightly more forgiving in this regard since they are really the only sights with true zero parallax. Although, you'll still have to worry about parallax introduced by the magnifier.

Since there are no BDC indicators on most red dots, and since most red dots are not designed to have quick adjusting turrets as seen on long range optics, you'll be adjusting for bullet drop using holdovers. For center mass hits out to 300, holding on the upper chest will yield workable results. Past that range, you'll be holding somewhere above your target. Getting that DOPE is going to take a ballistic calculator and some guess work, or just plain old range time. The advantage of the 503G is that it has BDC indicators to take the guess work out or the equation for you. The Eotech reticles are relatively forgiving in that you can put the feet of a normal human male at the bottom of the 68 MOA circle and get close enough to count.
Our preferences do not determine what's true.

I just got the Holosun ACSS last week and paired it with a Primary Arms 3x LER and flip-over mount that I already had. This was for my AR carbine. I took it to the range to zero it and ended up there until closing. I really like the combo, lots of fun.

I mostly do the 50-100yd line at the range, as well as CQB classes (shout out to Monarch Defense in San Jose), but after taking the rifle to the LGC meetup at Morro Bay with steel going out to 700+, I found my original 2 MOA red dot near useless. Even for closer steel (200-300), the 2 MOA didn't let me get much precision, nor a feel for my holdovers. Operator error? Maybe. But I still need the help.

I also like how the arbitrarily small chevron point really helps keep from obscuring the target. I'm looking forward to taking the setup to CQB class and see how it does with target acquisition. I think the ring is going to help a lot.

Despite all my praise, I'd still consider a 1-6x or 1-8x (or 1-10x) scope with ACSS reticle or similar. Mostly I had the magnifier and mount already so I figured why not try different combos to see what works. For $200 I get to try something out, but if I ever know exactly what I want, it might be worth it to put down the dough to get the best thing. But I'm not there yet.

Of course I might also try a 6x magnifier ($100 at Primary Arms). Or decide the Holosun is enough and pull the half pound of magnifier from the rifle. Or put it on a QD mount and stick it in my pocket as needed. In the end I like the flexibility the setup offers the most.

The attachment is my setup as described, at 100 yd.
Attachments
IMG_4515.jpg