1949 Winchester 94 scope suggestions

Looking for a recommendation on (period appropriate) glass for the 30/30 lever action. It was dad's old deer rifle back in the Camp Pendleton days. It holds a special place in my heart so I want to get a scope of the time. He was a purist and believed in the iron sights. I'm more of a pragmatist and seek the visual higher ground as my eyes ain't what they used to be. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 1949 Winchester 94 scope suggestions

If it is not already drilled, please don’t drill it.

If it is already drilled, the first thing you need to find is a side mount that is NOT the newer ones that mounts the scope over the center of the rifle. Your rifle ejects empties straight up, so the scope needs to be off to the left. Once you find the mount, an old low power Weaver or Lyman is the scope you want.

If it is not drilled, get one of the scout type mounts that connects to the rear sight dovetail. That will need a scope with longer eye relief, traditionally a pistol scope. Look for a modern mid-priced scope with an eye to aesthetics like the older scopes. You won’t find an old period pistol scope worth a damn.

Another option is one of the modern reprod of the Malcolm scopes by Leatherwood. They make a mounting kit for the 94 that I believe requires no drilling. Track Of The Wolf carries them.