Low Power Variable for PCC

Hey all,

I just recently got a TNW ASR in 9mm. I'm looking for a 1-6x or so optic for it. I've been considering the Votex strike eagle 1-6x24. I've never used magnification before and I am open to any suggestions. It's going to be used with backpacking, plinking, and target shooting. Hopefully it will never actually have to be used as a survival rifle, but you know...just in case. I could get lost backpacking or something.

Thanks for your help folks.

Re: Low Power Variable for PCC

I think that a 1x6 scope for a 9mm PCC is overkill. The amount of bullet drop after 100 yards for a 9mm is significant. I've shot 10" plates with a 6 MOA red dot consistently at 100 yards. Also many scopes have reticles that are for rifle rounds such as .233, so they're not applicable for 9mm. A 3x magnifier with a red dot would probably be your best bet if you have to have magnification, or even one with a fixed power.

Spara beat me to it- the BDC won't help at all, or will have very limited utility, and that much power is probably overkill. I'd probably roll with one of the fixed 2.5x or even just a red dot/prismatic sight and call it a day. Vortex makes a nice prismatic for $200 or less that is quality stuff.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

That review cracks me up.
With a rainbow of emotions ranging from joy, confusion, curiosity, determination, and uncertainty about what to do next, we put Sparc II in the microwave, where what appeared to be a mini lightning storm took place. We aren’t really sure what this replicates; let’s pretend an EMP or something. What used to be a nitrogen-filled sight turned into a black smoke-filled sight, and Sparc II’s dot would never again shine.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I have a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20. It's a really nice scope out to 100-200 yards. At 1.25x, is almost as good as an aimpoint. 4x and you can still tell what you're shooting at 100 yards. You can get something similar without any illumination for around $200. https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Vx-Freed ... B078XG2QN8

I don't know why you'd need more than 4x on a PCC. Fat and slow doesn't get you much range, by comparison.

I dislike the busy optics on most variable scopes. I have enough trouble just getting the crosshairs on the target. :lol:

To my knowledge (could be wrong) the only scope to include a proper 9x19mm BDC was the hensoldt Z24 series (it has an interchangeable cam at the top for 9mm, 5.56, and 7.62), it was/is a German military scope. They put them on top of their various roller locking rifles (mp5 for 9mm), and are typically found with the Hk Claw mount. The Z24 is a 4x scope, and the mount was designed to be a QD with the ability to use the sights with the scope attached. There may be others out there, but to my knowledge the z24 is the only scope out there that had 9mm functionality built in.
Pompous, with a touch of elitism.

Nato wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:07 pm To my knowledge (could be wrong) the only scope to include a proper 9x19mm BDC was the hensoldt Z24 series (it has an interchangeable cam at the top for 9mm, 5.56, and 7.62), it was/is a German military scope. They put them on top of their various roller locking rifles (mp5 for 9mm), and are typically found with the Hk Claw mount. The Z24 is a 4x scope, and the mount was designed to be a QD with the ability to use the sights with the scope attached. There may be others out there, but to my knowledge the z24 is the only scope out there that had 9mm functionality built in.
Oh sure. Bring up some unobtainum euro scope. Now we really know it's you and not an imposter.
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:55 pm
Nato wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:07 pm To my knowledge (could be wrong) the only scope to include a proper 9x19mm BDC was the hensoldt Z24 series (it has an interchangeable cam at the top for 9mm, 5.56, and 7.62), it was/is a German military scope. They put them on top of their various roller locking rifles (mp5 for 9mm), and are typically found with the Hk Claw mount. The Z24 is a 4x scope, and the mount was designed to be a QD with the ability to use the sights with the scope attached. There may be others out there, but to my knowledge the z24 is the only scope out there that had 9mm functionality built in.
Oh sure. Bring up some unobtainum euro scope. Now we really know it's you and not an imposter.
The Z-24 is hardly unobtainum, they are quite commonly avalible through the HK and German parts vendors.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Hensold ... -5p878.htm

Don't pay attention to the price, that is an Hkparts link, and as usual the HKparts guys have been passing around the crack pipe again. The 9mm cams are a bit rarer in the US, but the usual sources in Germany can ship you one.... for a price.
Pompous, with a touch of elitism.