Re: Digital scopes

I was looking at that same set up. I did a lot of research and found that the ATN X-Sight II HD 5-20 was the better choice. Overall there were positive reviews. The biggest negatives was battery life and digital storage. Both of which can be upgraded. The "ATN Power Weapon Kit 20,000 mAh Battery Pack w/USB Connector" will give you 22 hours of use. I have all of this sitting in my wish list on Amazon right now waiting to pull the trigger. I just need to justify ~$700. The last time I had that much money saved up, I oped for an M1 through the CMP.

I have no actual experience, only research. So when you pull the trigger, let me know how it goes.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Interesting. No experience, but I'm struggling to believe that you get good quality optics that are 5-20 plus all the gadgets for the price of a mid-tier Leupold, but they seem to get decent, if not stellar reviews.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I know where is a very good thread about these, but I don't know if links to other forums are allowed here...
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

shinzen wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:12 pm Interesting. No experience, but I'm struggling to believe that you get good quality optics that are 5-20 plus all the gadgets for the price of a mid-tier Leupold, but they seem to get decent, if not stellar reviews.
I can see it because having forays into astrophotography, good optics are not cheap. These are cameras and have more sensitivity to light meaning slower lenses or f-ratios can be used. I.e. you dont not need 50+mm diameters to use in anything but perfect lighting.

Well, in the absence of any guidance...go to 68forums.com, scroll down to "Hunting with the 6.8 mm", then scroll down to the thread "ATN-X Take 3". There's a lot of good info in this thread, including a lot of stuff that's not in the owners' manual, that can save you quite a bit of grief if you decide to get one of these.
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Digital Scopes are really in their infancy. As far as sheer "optics" go they are not as crisp and clear as plain old great glass. But it's all the stuff they can do like auto correct for windage and elevation and such (as well as see infrared light!) that makes them very valuable. In ten years or less I believe they will dominate precision glass but right now they are more of a novelty.

I got a chance to play with an ATX scope that belonged to my Nephews gun buddy and was highly impressed - I believe it was this one:

https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight2-hd-day ... cope-5-20x

I'm shooting a $300ish SFP Vortex 6-24X50 scope and this digital made it look fairly sick even without all the cool stuff like being able to record my shots to my phone in 1080P and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj7aM7LwNSk

This stuff will supersede precision glass only scopes but not this year...as the quality and resolution rise exponentially with 4K imagers and they incorporate better optical magnification it will eventually be a no brainer. But not just yet. Precision glass will be too expensive to compete.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.